Composers?

DK3

I don't know how or where to start on this but here it is. Are there any composers here? Whether from doing TV ads, documentaries, videogames etc..? I know it's a long shot, but the majority of music I listen to are instrumentals (I don't know if that means anything) and by my huge interest and devotion to music, I'm thinking if maybe composing music for ads is a good way of getting myself started. For me I only play guitar and bass, and would like to hear from people who are in this business if you have any advice or anything to help along the way. I'm interested in how it works by making a career out of this. Thanks in advance.

I don't know how or where to start on this but here it is. Are there any composers here? Whether from doing TV ads, documentaries, videogames etc..? I know it's a long shot, but the majority of music I listen to are instrumentals (I don't know if that means anything) and by my huge interest and devotion to music, I'm thinking if maybe composing music for ads is a good way of getting myself started. For me I only play guitar and bass, and would like to hear from people who are in this business if you have any advice or anything to help along the way. I'm interested in how it works by making a career out of this. Thanks in advance.

Music for ads, eh? I don't know much about that, but to get started in any area of music, you'll first need to have a collection of works by you that show the best of your talent. People want to know what they're going to get.

Also, I see you only play guitar/bass- learning the keyboard may help, if you are planning to compose.

There are quite a few "professional" folks around here, probably all with slightly different advice. As for me personally, it was just getting the first big break:

Because of that video and the corresponding testimonial on my website, I've received probably five or six requests from high school, college, or semi-professional teams. People just want that affirmation that you've done good work for others, that you can produce a track in time, and that you're easy to work with.

I envy your ability to play guitar. I can't tell you how many times some good guitar work would complement a track that I've been working on, and being able to just play it myself would be so much easier. Much ad music today involves guitar work of some sort, so you've already got that going for you. You'll want to develop your production and sequencer skills, which will be a great complement to your guitar and bass ability.

Going the musical route in college studies would certainly help with making network connections, learning new techniques, and benefiting from being immersed in it, but in the end people just want to know if you can make good music and can meet their needs.

I produce TV commercials for a Fox station, and many times I've debated making the music for some of my ads since a lot of the crap on the music site we have an account with just blows. I may try and get away with it at some point. Could be fun.

There can be a pretty good demand for creative works when it comes to the TV ad industry. If you can make some decent music with some variety, make it unobtrusive yet accommodating to an ad, and be able to make multiple versions of a track (Full, 1:00, :30, :15, :5 sting) then you could have some possible future business in that part of the industry.

See ya in a kia!

i still laugh about this constantly.

i'd suggest learning keyboard, for the simple reason that it's pretty much the universal instrument. not being a good keyboardist has really hurt me in composing in the last few years. you can also 'play' any instrument, due to a good synth, if you can play a keyboarded instrument.

i'd suggest learning keyboard, for the simple reason that it's pretty much the universal instrument. not being a good keyboardist has really hurt me in composing in the last few years. you can also 'play' any instrument, due to a good synth, if you can play a keyboarded instrument.

Definitely this, seeing as most sequencers and music programs tend to use a musical keyboard for input. Keyboards have a really good range, and they'll allow you to experiment with different chords on top of any small tunes that you think up.

Just a heads up mate. I'm the studio manager for a music house that is primarily a jingle house for commercials. Obviously, we do music of all kinds for all different products. The trend right now is for ad agencies (the people who will be giving you the majority of your work) are looking for cheap music to license instead of custom made music. One reason: it's cheaper.

As a professor of mine said to me, I will pass it on: there is NO easy road to take in the music industry! Do everything that you can, where you can, when you can.

Zircon also does music for the Brazilian adult entertainment industry.

And I'm not talking about Neo Geo roms.

HI! NEO GEO ROMS?

!LIST :tomatoface:

In other news, I've gotten a few composer gigs lately for XNA games, the indie lite version of Xbox Live. It was all about running around forums that has a "looking for work" forum (for example indiegamer) and showcase a lot of stuff you've made. You can NEVER get by without some good examples of various stuff you can do.

I must admit though I'm not an advanced composer by any means. For example I tend to stick to very simple harmonies and melodies. The important thing forme is to make music that really fits the game and the occassional unique touch. I always put a lot of emphasis on the sounds themselves since it's such a big part of music in this day of age. I also stay far away from anything orchestral and instead of suffering from it I make it my niche to compose electronic music, often coupled with some less-than-ordinary real instruments.

My best advice is simple though: practice. God knows I need it too. You can't get better without it sadly

Good luck!