MM3 Sparkman - 'cause MM3 doesn't get enough love here...

Gario

Another update for you all...

http://www.box.net/shared/pertqk19y9 (v3.9)

The main change here is the increase in volume for all of my hat work (and my snares, consequentially, as they're on the same channel, but that was needed too :P). I've added some added depth and complexity to the hat work, as well, but most of the stuff you can now hear was there before; it was just too quiet.

The leads have also been significantly brought out, and I've adjusted the mastering settings so the mix isn't quite so hot, anymore.

The bass drum at the end hasn't changed yet - I'm still figuring out what to do, there.

The lead at ~3:10 is still drowning in the texture a little bit so I'll go and fix that in my next update (hopefully tomorrow), and the awesome sound at 3:10 clips like crazy, atm (easily fixable, will get it in the next update).

Otherwise, if anyone has anything to say about it, feel free - I'm still listening to critiques!

:-P

Final update, here (unless something is really wrong, in which case let me know, lol)...

http://www.box.net/shared/cdhf9jvsh2 (erased...)

The mix is finally at a point where I don't think it's too hot nor too warm. It is a little on the hot side, for sure, but that's the sound I want out of this mix so that's good :) (I'm hoping it'll melt the faces off the judges).

The leads are finally at a point where they don't clip yet also are not drown in the soundscape.

The bass drums at the end had a bit of velocity work done to them so they aren't so potent (the rhythmic variation is still there, it's just not as obtrusive on the ear).

I'm posting this in a day or two - let me know of any problems if there are any :)

Thanks all for the help!

Well, you're on the right track. If I were still a judge I would probably NO this, though.

The sound design is okay, if a little vanilla. The arrangement, however, is pretty weak IMO. I can hear the source tune in it, the problem is that its treatment of the source tune is really subtractive, almost like you're dumbing it down. I don't hear anything in this remix that reminds of why i like the spark man theme. This is of course subjective, so don't take it too personally.

Your skills as an arranger and sound designer aren't really something you can address with minor revisions; they're skills you're going to develop over time, as you continue to produce more music.

Best of luck if you decide to submit this, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Keep at it!

Thanks, JJT.

My head is filled with El' Stupid today, as the version I uploaded this morning was the wrong one...

http://www.box.net/shared/7bgzxrm0p7 (Final Version)

It doesn't change the critiques that you've made, though - I understand if they don't accept it (I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst, too). I've just got to get this off of my mind so I can move on, you know? It's got pretty good production quality behind it, and the interpretation is fairly substantial (despite being heavily subtractive, it still has some more imaginative moments).

Don't worry, I won't take your comments personally - like you said, it's pretty subjective, in this case. I know it's a learning process, and I'm spending time working out the kinks when I write something for the site.

I'm glad your not a judge anymore, though :-P.

This is pretty much it; I'm probably not going to make any more changes to this thing, so thanks all for everything!