OCR01894 - *YES* Doom 2 'Silent Healer'

Liontamer

In recognition of the Doom 2: Delta-Q-Delta remix project, I hereby submit my personal favorite mix from that project, to be added to the site whenever.

---

Title: Silent Healer

Description: Arranged for the Delta-Q-Delta project, this is based on "The Healer Stalks," Map 2, redone in a style homage to the Silent Hill games. I've always been a big fan of those soundtracks, and I thought fusing that style with the dark nature of Doom would be a cool combination.

I am very pleased with the results. The original theme was extremely boring and repetitive, and quite a challenge to spice up. The metallic nature of this arrangement, combined with the funky backwards strings and the bizarre ambient pads all mix together in a stylistic mimic that is still unique on its own.

And, the metallic clanking was recorded personally, by me banging on the railing that leads up to my condo door. :)

---

Mazedude

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://doomdepot.doom2.net/music/doom%201%20&%202%20midis.zip - Doom II: Map 02 ("The Healer Stalks")

I really enjoyed the deliberate pacing, the sound of the lead, and the piano sprinkled in at 1:05. The soundscape was really expansive and full compared to the original, with some great industrial stuff and Chris's trademark sound, which isn't so much a particular set of sounds as much as an overall quirkiness and mood that's found in all of his stuff. I think a comparison to EarthBound "See Sixty Funk" is valid, as it's another of example of Chris taking a very plain theme that's not particularly melodious and giving it a lot more depth and character. A really awesome part of Delta-Q-Delta, I'm lovin' it.

YES

I typically really like Chris' stuff, but this one I'm not as big a fan of. Almost all of that comes down to the very bland source though. I think it's hard to make it sound that compelling. What he's added to it is pretty much the best I could hope for while not being too liberal: a melange of harsh noises and percussion, off-kilter chords, and a great melodious piano line that briefly lifts it out of the murk. Very NIN, and a great sound. It's the kind of thing that would suit a redone version of Doom 2 perfectly.

Production is pretty awesome. I love the delay and distortion effects on some of the instruments, especially the parts opening the song. There's a lot of detail in there.

Can't help but feel that I would like it a lot more if I liked the source more, but this seems like a pass anyway.

YES

The source is downright awful imo :tomatoface:

However, Mazedude makes it his own. The noisy percussion and overall scary-ass atmosphere works well. The track always keeps an obvious tie to the source with the chords and everything happening around it sounds like it should've been in the source but Bobby Prince accidentally deleted a few tracks before exporting.

This is a solid interpretation with good production and it's an obvious pass. Though I wish you'd tackle some more crazy japanese VGM-tunes because man, you could rock their boat! Ah well, can't get everything you want. At least Doom 2-fans can't be dissapointed.

YES

• 1 month later...