Retro Game Challenge

NNY

retro_game_challenge_ds_logoc36.jpg

What is Retro Game Challenge?

Retro Game Challenge is a DS game where you must complete challenges in parodies of your favorite 8-bit classics to defeat the demon digitized version of Shinya Arino, host of Japanese game show Retro Game Master.

What separates this from other minigame compilations?

It's not really a minigame compilation, so much as it's a collection of brand new full length 8-bit games. Each game is a homage/parody of a classic Famicom game.

Titles include:

Cosmic Gate

A Galaga-esque shooting game

Haguru Man

A side-scrolling game which is some kind of merge between Ninja Jajamaru-kun and Mappy.

Rally King

A top-down view racing game similar to the Micro Machines game.

Star Prince

A shooting game extremely similar to Star Soldier and Star Force.

Rally King SP

Japan is well known for re-releasing Famicom games in joint with businesses and upgrading the game along with giving the companies advertising in the game (Kaettekita Mario Bros. is one of these joint-ventures). Rally King SP emulates a fictional noodle company's endeavor.

Haguru Man 2

A sequel to Haguru Man with better graphics and slightly altered play.

Guadia Quest

An RPG similar to Dragon Quest with an opening scene similar to Final Fantasy

Haguru Man 3

The sequel that actually changes gameplay drastically into a Ninja Gaiden-esque style.

Uh, I'm not gonna bother bolding the really obscure Japanese games that I've never heard of. I was on the fence on bolding Mappy.

Moving on...

What else do you do?

It's the 80s and you're a kid again. You read gaming magazines! What else? Gaming magazines contain reviews and cheat codes!

But awesome games like this never come out in the States....

This one is! According to the GameCrazy preorder list, it comes out January 6th, 2009.

Trailer:

rgc14cc.jpg

rgc22a8.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm about to finish the game now, and I'll say that Guadia Quest is probably the least exciting of the pack as far as the "challenges" go. I really enjoyed Haggleman 1 and 2, as I played the entire Ninja JaJaMaru-kun series extensively as a kid. No giant frog = fail though. :P

Haggleman 3 is awesome, but not long enough. The idea of purchasing major upgrades in a Ninja Gaiden game is sweet though...

If they do make another one of these, they need to parody some Culture Brain games. Flying Warriors and Little Ninja Brothers, anyone?

I picked this one up last week. Great graphics, epic music, 8-bit gameplay. I should mention that I really bought it because I wanted to play Guardia Quest, which turned out to be pretty boring and all together too hard, actually. I spend a lot of time dying. As far as the other games go, the second space shooter is lots of fun, the racing games are neat once you figure out how to play, and the third Haggleman Ninja game is really cool.

The best part about the game in my opinion is the general presentation style and in-jokes for 80s kids. The people who are really going to get this stuff are the ones from the 20-30 age range (give or take). It's really nostalgic to be playing a game at a friend's house and have him say that he picked up the latest issue of [well, back in the day it was Nintendo Power] and that there was a *secret code!!!* in the magazine for the very game we were playing. Ahh... good times.

BEWARE, however, that if you just want to play an RPG, get Dragon Quest V on Wednesday. Retro Game Challenge is worth the price for all of the content, but the exceedingly slow gameplay and rather short quest of Guardia Quest kind of disappoint if that's all you want, and this is coming from a HUGE childhood fan of Dragon Que.. WARRIOR 1-4.

This seems like a game I'd be all over (I love the concept, the idea of 80s in-jokes, etc.). But, I'm finding it hard to justify getting a DS game for it instead of just, say, breaking out some of my older games that I still have. (Particularly when I still have new DS games that I haven't yet played, and I'm still working on a backlog of SNES/Saturn/PSX games, mostly RPGs.)

Is there anything that makes it worth that much more than just, say, playing the old games that it's based on? KF

This seems like a game I'd be all over (I love the concept, the idea of 80s in-jokes, etc.). But, I'm finding it hard to justify getting a DS game for it instead of just, say, breaking out some of my older games that I still have. (Particularly when I still have new DS games that I haven't yet played, and I'm still working on a backlog of SNES/Saturn/PSX games, mostly RPGs.)

Is there anything that makes it worth that much more than just, say, playing the old games that it's based on? KF

Haggleman 1 and 2 is pretty unique. (Haven't unlocked 3 yet.) And the other reason to buy it is to encourage the sequel to come out in America.

Thanks for signing your name in the post. I would never have known it was you had you not.