Ironic removals.

It's like REMOVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

A ReMix that's quite great!

It's like rhyming STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFF

And this song really sucks!

Haha, is this a "favourite removed remixes" thread in disguise?? =p

I haven't heard the Dr. Stewart remix for a while now, but I think the Cossack remix (this one, right?) has a little more arrangement of the main melody than the Dr. Stewart mix had - but the main melody in the original Dr. Stewart song is so simple, changing it at all would create something arguably too DISTANT from the source tune.

That said, I highly prefer the original Dr. Cossack song to the remix, and I like the Dr. Stewart original and the remix about equally... ok, maybe I like the remix a little more. Such fantastic source tunes! ^_^

Ok so that Dr. Stewart remix got removed for be being too close to the original, yet that cossack stage 3 remix is even closer to the original yet it's still up and running even though the stewart mix is great and the cossack mix is flawed heavily. Isn't that totally ironic?

If I'm not mistaken, that Dr. Stewart Mix was a direct rip with some sounds added.

Ok so that Dr. Stewart remix got removed for be being too close to the original, yet that cossack stage 3 remix is even closer to the original yet it's still up and running even though the stewart mix is great and the cossack mix is flawed heavily. Isn't that totally ironic?

That song (as well as Chrono Trigger "To Far Away Lands" I think it was called), started the OC Lockdown, 3 times, if I'm not mistaken. In that run, I think quite a few forum members, mixers, and listeners left. DJ Pretzel was VERY hesitant about doing it, mostly because of the backlash coming from it, as what I heard/saw. But they went through and systematically removed conflicting songs, or ones that didn't meet the criteria on posting a song.

The "Dr. Stuard" by Jefftoad (I think that was his name then), was nothing more than the exact same song (yes the music sounded different), with sound effects dubbed in along. And no, I didn't hate it, I REALLY liked the song, but again, it violated many rules. Now this new song you're referring to, I haven't listened to, nor do I know of the game from which it's from, but if it's slipped through the cracks, I have no doubt they'll probably review it again, especially if they read this thread...

That song (as well as Chrono Trigger "To Far Away Lands" I think it was called), started the OC Lockdown, 3 times, if I'm not mistaken. In that run, I think quite a few forum members, mixers, and listeners left. DJ Pretzel was VERY hesitant about doing it, mostly because of the backlash coming from it, as what I heard/saw. But they went through and systematically removed conflicting songs, or ones that didn't meet the criteria on posting a song.

I don't remember any huge backlash from the remix removals. I don't really remember anyone actually packing up and leaving except for the whole 2002 remixer exodus thing, plus the totally random deletion of unmod.

lol subjectivity

Not really. I was pretty generous with Lockdown 2, which I think we did around early '06. Though we removed about a 100 mixes, a lot of stuff was left along, as it wasn't about reevaluating mixes according to current standards. "Cossack Hot Steppin'" was from '01 when direct sampling was more lenient. Hearing the addition of the original piano part, I was willing to let it go because there was some effort to at least add something countermelodic and substantive. Had it been more recent than 2001, removing it would have been put to a vote.

The F-Zero GX got removed in '04 when mix #1250 got posted, and was a very recent mix judged against tighter rules. Cyborg Jeff stated that he built the mix from the ground up. But even taken that at face value, the instrumentation and structure were way too close to the original. That was also the mix where Prot tried to institute a new "YES Override" rule ("for obvious YESs") and got shot down by the rest of the panel. Nice try.