Video Games Live

TheThoughtfulOne

So I just picked up a few tickets for me and some friends to go see Video Games Live in Seattle in January.

I was wondering if any of you out there have seen said show (or perhaps one of the others like it, such as Play) and I want to know your opinions.

Also I was wondering if anyone might suggest some good orcestral Remixes to help cleanse my hearing from all the rock, techno, hip-hop and metal I've been diving into so that I may better enjoy the bliss when I go see the concert.

Thanks All

I went to the Vancouver show on October 29th, and liked it so much that I bought tickets to Seattle the next day. It's really a great show, and they are working on new segments (I heard Mega Man, but don't hold me to it), and new arrangements of existing series (Mario and Zelda, since those are from like 1991). At the meet and greet, Tommy saw my Sonic shirt and apologized they didn't play it, and promised that they'll have it in Seattle, so hopefully you're a fan. If you have any questions about details of a recent show, go ahead and ask because I feel Seattle will be similar to Vancouver (since both Seattle and Vancouver had shows only in 2005). If you want a recap of the Vancouver show to see what to possibly expect:

http://videogameslive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6826

I'll probably be going to the seattle one also. Looking forward to it, it's sad though about all the pc game music they're doing, I mean it's decent, but not at memorable.

Depends if you played Myst and Civ4 for like 100+ hours like I probably have. But yeah, they could've put more popular music in there. And I don't mean the token Mario, Sonic and Metal Gear either. There's still more. I'm surprised they didn't do a Street Fighter one yet.

Like the one show they did Contra music or the Red Alert March. They were only one-shot specials though.

StarCraft 2 and Warcraft ones are nice even if they are a bit short. And I never can guess why Dragon's Lair gets a sizable piece. It's as if nobody really played that silly game anyhow.

I think it's worth it just to watch Tommy Tallarico jump around with a guitar, playing One Winged Angel.

Dude.... I can't wait....

I'm almost tempted to buy tickets for the one in Victoria, BC (just a ferry ride away from me) and it's being hosted by my Fav. Radio station to, I hope there'll be tickets left after the seattle concert so I'll at least have the option....

We had a little meet-up 6 months or so ago at the Louisville, KY VGL concert. That was awesome.

The concert itself is really more of a multimedia show. It's good, but it's a bit like watching a bunch of game cinemas in a row. The second time I saw it, they didn't do Civ 4, which was a damn shame.

However, they did Castlevania. So... cool.

I think it's worth it just to watch Tommy Tallarico jump around with a guitar, playing One Winged Angel.

Yeah, t'was good times. From that meeting audix and I have produced a good amount of stuff together, too. I guess we weren't bullshitting when we said we'd do some stuff together "some time" :P

Also, what exactly did Jimmy say/do to get you into the 21-and-over section of the city? "I'm fucking 6'5" let him in or you're in for a world of fucking hurt" :o

Sweet, I keep getting more and more excited the more I hear... oh, and I LOVE obscure music... any one who's seen my music collection will tell you that it's the most eclectic thing they've ever seen....

My only wish is that I had a good costume for it... How many cosplayers did y'all see?

There were like 5 at the NYC show. That's about it. I know some other shows have a lot of cosplayers, and they really welcome them. It doesn't matter how good the costume is, some of the ones I've seen (in person and photos) are aboslutely terrible. You'll probably be able to one-up them if you were to wear a cardboard box and say you're the square block from Tetris.

We had quite a few, perhaps two dozen or so. As mentioned, it's really encouraged, and there's a costume contest. Some of the ones I remember from our show included a zombie nurse from Silent Hill (who was runner up), weighted companion cube, token Link and Snake, a guy wearing an arcade cabinet with a questionably placed joystick, and the blue alien character from Mass Effect (who was the winner). Just as a note... the costume contest is judged by how loud the audience is, so the best costumes aren't always necessarily the ones that move on. It seems that skanky girls get an automatic admission into the finals sometimes...

Yeah, the audience-call votes is really silly, but they just want to drum up the anticipation. It's not a 'real' costume competition in that sense. I only saw a few kids (well, they're kids compared to me nowadays) with costumes. Not exactly the hardcore cosplaying stuff you might see in California.

• 1 month later...

I went to the show this weekend in Seattle in a group of 9 people. It was full of awesome.

I think we were all yelling "BOTTOM ROW!" when the middle-aged woman went on-stage to play Space Invaders. They also had as one of the prizes to the guy who beat their challenge on Guitar Hero on stage a cd courtesy of OCReMix, which was particularly cool. I think the only way it could have been better is if they played some Mega Man tunes, or Portal's "Still Alive."

Anybody else here go?

Went for the big OCR meet in DC, it was pretty cool. The tracklist is really mainstream stuff though; Mario, Zelda, MGS, Final Fantasy, WoW, and then music from PC games because hey, American composers.

If you're someone who listens to VGM regularly, you've probably heard most of the set before. The main draw is seeing it actually performed live.

Went for the big OCR meet in DC, it was pretty cool. The tracklist is really mainstream stuff though; Mario, Zelda, MGS, Final Fantasy, WoW, and then music from PC games because hey, American composers.

If you're someone who listens to VGM regularly, you've probably heard most of the set before. The main draw is seeing it actually performed live.

Agreed. There's nothing particularly special with the arrangements themselves, but it's the spectacle which makes it worthwhile for me.

Anybody else here go?

I did! It was kind of unfortunate, it was almost exactly the same as the one in Vancouver on October 29, with the addition of Mass Effect and Sonic, and of course, all that extra Halo stuff. But... in Vancouver we had EA djs mix It's Tricky from SSX, and TT and Victor Lucas doing a taping of Reviews on the Run where they harshly insulted some Koei game.

It sucks when you realize that some of the funniest parts are scripted and probably not true (the person with the laptop, person saying "kill them" etc...), but definitely a great experience. I'm going to go again when they come back to Vancouver later this year, and hopefully by then they will be playing their Smash Bros segment, and will have updated the Zelda and Mario ones (btw, if someone doesn't know, you can recommend which Mario and Zelda songs will be included in the new medley on the VGL forums).

And Penfold, I don't know if you're aware, but they are working on a Mega Man segment, so maybe they'll have it when they come back (probably next year). And apparently a lot of people are requesting Still Alive.

i went to the hammersmith/london one in november '06 with some other vgmusic staff. also met rexy! it was a hectic but fun weekend. the show was good, quite a laugh, the music wasn't totally my bag but it was enjoyable nonetheless. i liked the arrangements of outrun and sonic the most, and some of the other classic stuff. i have no idea idea how much it's changed since then, i guess they have new content now. i doubt i'd go again, but worth going once at least IMO.

I attended the VGL Seattle show in October '04. Didn't really meet anyone because there was basically 0 NW OCR presence there. I did meet Shnabubula somehow [of all people] at the PLAY! concert when it came here, and he introduced me to Marty O'Donnel and Jeremy Soule.

I would have liked to have met some of you at this concert if you guys would've fucking reminded me that it was 4 days ago goddam. I seriously had no idea the concert was so close. I knew there was one coming up but it totally slipped my mind.

Ah well, maybe next time.

• 2 months later...