OCR01032 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & 3 "Bottled Metro"

djpretzel

Imagine my surprise when I visited OCR for the first time in a couple weeks and saw this song on the front page. I remember BitMap plugging it in a WIP thread I started for my own Hydrocity Zone remix. I don't really have a problem with the sample quality, but if BitMap were to release an updated version, I would definitely love to hear it.

-DCT

Hmm, as with most, I think it's the intro that bugs me the most. Maybe it's the drum pattern that bugs me, the volume of the drums, or that annoying scratch sample in the background. Anyway, I started enjoying this when it got cookin' at about '38. Hmm, the GM sounds...I guess those can be ignored, but like another reviewer said, the slap bass is annoying, especially when it's soloing. But besides that, I found myself enjoying this remix, and it will be going on my next CD I burn.

Needs more cowbell.

"I've got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

Im glad to see this remix on the main page of OCR. I got this arrangement a long time ago from Bitmap. I enjoy listening to the creative work Bitmap makes. Sometimes we just have to listen past the sound fonts and focus on the music itself. I myself enjoy this mix and I think it would work very well with a live band. People add interpretation better than computers. Just remember that and let your imagination flow with the content of the music. I know that sounds very very corny but its the truth, and sometimes we forget that. Anyways Congrats

• 1 month later...

I didn't really care for this mix. Not really because of the instruments used, but simply because of the clashing to the two songs. HyroCity happens to be my favorite Sonic tune (Particularly Act 2) and I just don't think it goes well with the Metropolis Zone theme. (Not a favorite of mine, although I like the S2Beta version better, which I think I heard hints of in this mix)

I think I would have liked it better if this was just a straight Metropolis or HydroCity mix.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whoah....how did he pull it off. Combining both Metrocity Zone from Sonic 2 and Hydrocity Zone from Sonic 3. This is just a kickin-ass remix. I liked how he switched from each of the songs while keeping the rhythm and style going. Also, cool sound effects as well!!

• 1 year later...

Like djp, I like the arrangement but not the sounds. I keep listening for a solid bass foundation, but it's never really there. You know when a song drops the bass for a few measures at the end of a section before the chorus returns (often in techno)? Well, this whole song sounds like that. Generally good, but there's some half-hearted rocking happening.

• 1 year later...

Well, where to begin. Hydrocity and Metropolis Zone both has great themes, the beginning had me going for a while when I recognized what songs being played. But I'm not sure if I like the arrangement with a 100%.

The thing that sounds odd is the drums, they are simply too loud. Not that they shouldn't be, but the flutes and the rest of the samples are getting in the background and cannot be heard as good as they should be. At many moments in the remix, all you can hear is the drums playing while you hardly can hear the rest of the instruments since they are playing too low.

But this doesn't occur everywhere, there are many places in this remix where the balance is alright. But if you have the opportunity to make a remake of it, then I would be gald to listen to it.

• 2 years later...

I like how the two themes are essentially braided together.

The remix plays out like one of the myriad water levels in the Sonic Genesis games:

1. Sonic starts out running out on the water with a perfect blend of the Hydrocity and Metropolis themes.
  2. At 0:36, Sonic sinks and the Hydrocity theme starts.
  3. Sonic at 1:06 bursts to the surface and the Metropolis theme starts.
  4. Sonic goes underwater at 2:05, and it's Hydrocity again.
  5. Then from 2:34 to the end, it's the end of the level.

Definitely a must download.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to kinda agree with OA about the samples. If this had been done with live instruments, even seven years ago, it would have aged a lot better. I like the arrangement, but it's held back by the method that you brought it to life. That being said, I'm still rocking to this. The arrangement is catchy and upbeat, and I can feel what you wanted to get out of it, even with the songs faults. I actually really like how you have the brass backing things.

• 1 month later...

Wow I made this seven years ago. I can't believe it. The things I would have done different had I only the experience I do now. I basically did this tune as a high school music theory project at the time. Honestly, this is the first time I've logged onto OCR since this song was accepted into the ranks.

Reading through the seven years' worth of critique is inspiring. Painfully inspiring. DigiPen doesn't give me a lot of time to myself, but I'll see if I can give OCR a PROPER version of this mix in the very near future.

Thank you for all the support! I'll see you soon.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01032 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & 3 "Bottled Metro"