Surround Sound. I need it.

Cytota

So, my current logitech surround sound system is starting to reach it's limit after about 4 years of everyday use.

So... I'm looking to get a new set of surround sound speakers for my current college dorm room. I'm going to be moving into an apartment next year, so I'll really be hoping to have a nice set-up at that time. I'm not really a bass person, but to be able to hear the deep, lower noises without the subwoofer rattling would be nice, and I seem to love higher notes and frequencies in my music. I tend to listen to music in .mp3s at 328kbps and FLAC, so quality is rather important to me and I despise hearing my speakers rattle and crack, killing the mood of my music.

So, OCRemixers, I ask you, what would you get? My high limit for finances is about 200 but I'm willing to go a bit above that for something spectacular sounding. Any opinions on a good set up would be great.

If it means anything, I use my laptop as my primary music playing device, and I have all three current consoles, so a hub for the system with multiple connections would be nice. I've looked around myself, and I really don't have a clue where to start.

And I'd love for this to sound rich and full, to fill my room with great sound. Thanks for any help! :<

I'm guessing you have the system I have now, or something a bit older/lower. I have Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers. I think you would do well getting some higher end 2.1s and getting a pair of them to make 4.2 speakers. Or you can get the 2.1s that have surround sound "built" into them. Those work pretty well by themselves and you don't need the 5 satellites and all that corded mess.

These are mine: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=us,en

My friend did the 2.1 pairing deal and he has a couple of these: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en

Look at the frequency ranges of the speakers systems you're looking at. Most of the time they have a high range of 20kHz which is pretty much well above whatever you're listening to. The low range is where they start charging more, but you said you didn't need that low. You're looking at lows of 33Hz-40Hz. These are nice to know but I doubt you (and most people) will be able to tell the difference from a couple of Hz.

The systems also start using more wattage and the price increases because of that as well. Basically more watts = more boom in your bass.