Earthbound Zero/Mother 1 'Untitled work in progress remix'

fraseyboy

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/3/2210725/Earthbound%20Zero%20Intro%20Sexy%20Frasey%20Mix.mp3

This is a remix of the Introduction song at the beginning of Earthbound Zero/Mother 1. Hasn't got a proper title yet.

This is my first remix and like my third time using Fruity Loops, so there's bound to be a few things that need to be changed. I'm not too sure how to make it sound more 'realistic'.

Tell me what you think :)

Not that I've tried it myself, but I always imagined Mother Earth to be a very hard song to remix. It's mostly because of that "striking" quality the source tune is infamed to have. You're brave for trying, in my book.

I admire the NESkimos quality you brought into it, but it only seems effective once the main melody starts playing. The introduction will definitely need some work. Also that really flexy synth that plays at 0:56 could stand be to be cut. The guitar already playing that portion should be just enough.

For realism, you could vary the velocities... the note strengths, on the piano. A real pianist would play some notes, some parts softer, some harder.

Guitar is gonna be difficult to give a realistic sound. As for drums, you ned more hihats, crashes, rides, like a real drummer would do. Basically, for realism, think like a person playing the instrument you're working on.

Overall, the track is pretty weak, tho you should probably focus on the writing and instrument sound before starting to worry about mixing them together and getting everything loud enough (which you also need to do, just not yet).

This isn't how I remember the source, so there seems to be some deviations from it. That's good. This does sound promising, especially for a newb. Great work so far.

Great work, sounds submittable to me, hehe.

Great work, not submittable yet.

The piano doesn't sound alive, tho I think it's an issue with the cutoff and the lack of reverb on it. It doesn't have the clarity and space it needs when it's solo.

Guitar still sounds fakey, mechanical. Drums are better, just need to be mixed in better. I like the low bass rumble you used early in the remix.

Arrangement is a little boxy. Stuff comes in, repeat, and stops. Going back to the piano at 1:28 is a good idea, but the writing needs to be different, and the transition needs to be smoother. You gotta make the parts before end better.

The 2:54, another poorly written transition. Also, the stuff after 2:54, watch the notes so they don't clash or overlap.

You need to improve the transitions, the guitar, and the piano processing. It's not as weak as it was before, so you're obviously doing something right. :P Keep working on it, you're doing good.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, for a decent guitar sound I find that I like to take a basic synth sound like a saw wave layered with a square wave and put some heavy amp distortion on it. Then, I add a phaze shifter effect or a light chorus effect on there and save this as an audio file wav/mp3. Then I put it back into the song and add another layer of distortion plus some light reverb and/or delay (echo).

But that's just the sound design itself. More than half of it is how you play/sequence the sound. I'd make it a mono one note synth with a quick portamento glide. Then I'd add some vibrato to the tail end of longer notes to really make it shine as a solo synth.

Most guitar sound fonts/vst's do not sound real or even decent to me. So, I make/modify my own and try to use the synthetic quality of it as a strength rather than a weakness.

As for your overall arrangement. It's not bad man. Drums could use some light compression perhaps. You're learning quite well for someone who is new at this. OCremix sets quite the high bar, I hope you continue to work on this or take what you learn from this and apply it to future works.

More than anything, it's about how much you experiment and compose things which will make you improve. Listening to a lot of music that inspires you doesn't hurt ether to gain a new take on your source material. Good luck.

Personally, for a decent guitar sound I find that I like to take a basic synth sound like a saw wave layered with a square wave and put some heavy amp distortion on it. Then, I add a phaze shifter effect or a light chorus effect on there and save this as an audio file wav/mp3. Then I put it back into the song and add another layer of distortion plus some light reverb and/or delay (echo).

But that's just the sound design itself. More than half of it is how you play/sequence the sound. I'd make it a mono one note synth with a quick portamento glide. Then I'd add some vibrato to the tail end of longer notes to really make it shine as a solo synth.

Most guitar sound fonts/vst's do not sound real or even decent to me. So, I make/modify my own and try to use the synthetic quality of it as a strength rather than a weakness.

As for your overall arrangement. It's not bad man. Drums could use some light compression perhaps. You're learning quite well for someone who is new at this. OCremix sets quite the high bar, I hope you continue to work on this or take what you learn from this and apply it to future works.

More than anything, it's about how much you experiment and compose things which will make you improve. Listening to a lot of music that inspires you doesn't hurt ether to gain a new take on your source material. Good luck.

Very helpful post. I tried doing that and it just ended up sounding all synthy :|

The distorted guitar in the middle of Aliseans 'Final Ecstasy' (http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00063/) sounds EXACTLY like what I need. Anyone know how he achieved such a sound?

• 2 weeks later...