Streets of Rage - 'Destiny Conquered'

Red Rum

Source tune: Streets of Rage 1 - Keep The Groovin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYXHm6eKQVc

Destiny Conquered MP3: http://www51.sitesled.com/RedRum-DestinyConquered.mp3

Well, this remix is interesting and I consider it inventive. I took this song and just played around with it and made it into an arrangement. I did some slicing up with the drums and did a massive breakdown in the end. I also blended some of Shenmue's "Sedge Tree" in it to give it a sort of uniqueness. I also took Diana Ross's "Missing You" and put it in the intro and hell it sounded good to me. I also gave this a certain epic and classical feelings, especially at the chorus. :)

...Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks much.

I love the original and actually have a WIP of my own going. It's more of a house with elements of freestyle remix. But let's see what you got going here.

I actually love you violin samples. I would have used them very differently, and def not as leads. What samples are those, from what program?

As for the remix itself, I don't think it's OCR material. The style does not really break any new grounds with this mix, this sounds like a less danceable version of the original. Drums are not really mastered/processed well enough, not nearly at the level of your SOR2 "Syndicate" remix. Variations sounds like they are there just for the sake of having variations and don't flow well.

I think you should take it back to the drawing board. I see it like this - WIPs are either OCR material or not. Those that are not can be divided into two categories - ones that have some very interesting elements that could be used to come up with something great and those that don't. This mix is the latter.

Areas where you can improve: try to take your mixes in a slightly different direction from the original, you don't have to make an orchestral mix out of a SOR track, but you still need to make it your own. Having the same bassline as the original, even if its not in the entire track, is also kind of lazy. Lastly, you need to work on your production to really make your tracks shine.

Yeah, I think I should work on all those areas and actually redo the whole thing. You know, I want to make it my own, but SoR is a bitch to remix because the originals sound good as they are.

I'll try to work on more on it soon. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Try Edirol's Orchestral VST. It works crazy good in some cases. I also like to grab sample CDs like Samplefusion and also use VSTs like Native Instrument's Massive. Try those, they work great.

Anyways, I have an arrangement set up and already sent to OCRemix, check it out, it's called "Synthesis." It's like an arranged Soul of Rage.

http://www51.sitesled.com/Red_Rum_-_Synthesis.mp3

Ambient's right about the direction, but this track feeels a little more like a chill track than the source; with the right work, it could turn out different enough.

Dunno if you're open to that idea, but dropping the bpm a bit and pushing the drum volume down a little, perhaps evening out stuff by making the sustained instruments louder and the ones playing just short notes or just playing on repeat softer and pushed into the background.

Anyway, there's crits that I can offer that'll apply no matter what direction you take this. Some of the tracks stand out in a bad way, the track gets repetitive, and it could use some more interpretation and variation in writing, more human-sounding writing tweaks, stuff like that. Nothing specific, but comparing this to a few similar ocremixes, put 'em in the same playlist, should tell you something about what needs work.

I like the violin. Can't say if the Js would, tho.

I think this could be something cool, if done right. Good luck.

• 1 month later...