Metroid - Title Screen

-{(echo)}-

Yes, ANOTHER remix of it, the title screen from the original Metroid. I know there's already some remixes of it, but I thought I'd try my own take. I'm rather new to remixing, so please, don't hesitate to tell me what I'm doing wrong or need to change.

>Download TitleScreen.mp3<

This is remix is alot calmer then I'd usually make mine, but I actually like it. It's nice to just let it play and relax.

Comments and crit, plzkthnx. ^__^

in case someone doesn't know the source... (i mean, come on, I grew up on this game. finding out samus was a chick was part of my childhood!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp96K7733qw

filled with flashing screwattack thing and all.

I am ze worst person to give you ze crticisms, having never remixed in my life (aside from, well, tinkering with a castlevania tune here or there in my spare time with 0 formal musical training) but I do listen to this thing we call "music" and I hope i'll be of some use until Rozovian comes around and does his thing - at least on the creative side. Blah blah I know there should be like... that checklist i follow.

This feels like the buildup to a potentially explosive Sixto-like track. But it doesn't go there. ...It doesn't really go anywhere. I say this because you switch to the theme's introduction at 1:20 and the drummage in my mind lends itself to wanting to go somewhere, military-like.

If you're going for a more relaxing, mellow feel, I don't know. I think you need start varying up what's playing at 0:47. take it somewhere new. interpret the source, change something about the melody/bassline. bring in a new instrument? change dynamics? i don't know if counterpoint would work so well if you wanna relax to it, it might get distracting, maybe it would if it were quiet or if the roles of the old and new melodies switched?

And there's that one bass note that repeats over and over again in the original theme's intro. you can try messing with that maybe. i dunno.

I think the biggest weakness in this mix is that it just sounds like Fruityloops. Using a less generic piano and tweaking the synths with effects and things so they blend better would be a start. The arrangement isn't bad. The drums are a pretty good choice, almost gives it a light rock feel. Might help to have a cleaner transition between the two sections. Also when you have a repetitive melody like that it might help if the supporting parts change and gradually layer over each other.

Doesn't start with the usual 6 notes. That's good. The track doesn't do much more than play the source. That's not as good. You'll need to interpret it more, write an original section that fits in with the source... or even one that's part source. Change the chords, stuff like that. 0:47-1:20 could be cut completely, or rewritten, it's really nothing but repetition of what we've already heard atm.

Since you say you're rather new to remixing, I assume you haven't written much original works either. The writing needs to be more of an interpretation, not a redo, of the source. Practice writing. And practice messing with the sounds and effects, Radiowar's right about this sounding FL-ish, it's too raw, unprocessed.

A note about the drums tho: while Radiowar's right about the drums being a good choice, the drums of course need to be processed before they're OCR-passable. That means tweaking velocities, compressing and EQing them, stuff like that.

Also, read these.

So in a nutshell, work a bit on the writing, toy with the program, read the guides, interpret it more. This is isn't bad for a newb. Good luck remixing.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Rozovian, that was actually helpful; I was afraid of a "OMG WTF YOU n00b!" post, but your post was really encouraging. :D

I'm not a remixer (I write (french) stories) but my father lives with his wife in a world of music and they have a group. So I like however to come here to read Rozovian or others posts about your work, because people here respect what you do, with the condition you are really working on something.

I post this because you're not the first person to be... surprised by constructive replies of ocr members, and not stupid posts as you feared.

So keep on working seriously, and you'll be always welcome here :)

Now I'm going to listen to your wip, ocremix is the source for my... inspiration ^^