"Henry Hatsworth" soundtrack available for FREE! (Comments & Feedback Highly Appreciated! :)

Ampersand

Hey guys!

Just wanted you to know that as of yesterday the soundtrack to "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!" for NDS is available for free to download without any strings attached at http://www.henryhatsworth.com (check the Downloads section). There are 37 tracks in all. Also, what you might find interesting about the soundtrack is that what you will get will be a high-quality, arranged soundtrack which, incidentally, is how all of the music for "Henry Hatsworth" was created.

I would really appreciate any feedback you might have in regards to the soundtrack and will be Happy to answer what questions you guys might have in regards to it.

Thank you in advance for checking out the result of 7 month of my life's work ;)

~ Gene R.

Composer / Lead Audio Designer

"Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!"

Hey guys!

Just wanted you to know that as of yesterday the soundtrack to "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!" for NDS is available for free to download without any strings attached at

I did find several strings:

Can't copy, download twice, share, use commercially, etc., without violating the agreement I made by clicking "OK".

Due to non-trivial downloading time, I look forward to critiquing this later. Thanks for alerting us!

(Although, the WIP section being primarily for the good of submitting songs to OCR, this should have gone in its Non-Remixes sub-topic.)

————

Since this thread hasn't been moved, I guess I'll post my critique here.

Listened to the soundtrack. It actually is quite nice. Some of the songs were pretty generic, but it did exactly what a game sound track should to do: Be pleasant to listen to--never annoying or repetitive--and occasionally, ascend into good music.

I'm glad your employers aren't of the opinion that the music should suck because good music distracts from the game. (Actually, I believe the problem is your game sucks so bad, people only play for the music. No wonder you don't want to hire a decent composer.)

Good job on this! I want to single out "Mystical Monocle", "Cake or Death", and "Not My Shoes!" as my favorites of the album.

I hate to think it's a good game just because I'm liking the music (which is as irrational as thinking a car is good just because you saw its billboard in Track Mania, although people do), but I can't say I've played a bad game with good music yet.

However, I regret to say that I back up my HD, resulting in a copying of the files I downloaded from that website, thus violating the agreement I made upon download. I am deeply sorry. You can PM me for my personal info with which EA can sue me.

I'm glad your employers aren't of the opinion that the music should suck because good music distracts from the game. (Actually, I believe the problem is your game sucks so bad, people only play for the music. No wonder you don't want to hire a decent composer.)

However, I regret to say that I back up my HD, resulting in a copying of the files I downloaded from that website, thus violating the agreement I made upon download. I am deeply sorry. You can PM me for my personal info with which EA can sue me.

You can critique the work without being a dick. Knock it off. :whatevaa:

Thanks for posting this Gene. Always nice to see folks from the industry posting here. :)

http://vgmdb.net/album/11339

Definitely gotta give props for this soundtrack. It's very diverse and very pro. Lots of fun, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice work, Gene!

Anyone on the fence like "what the hell is this?", you better go out of your way to grab this. Not that there was heavy hype, but it's definitely worth the DL, easily.

LOL at SplinterOfChaos being a douche. If you have a stick up your ass about EA, don't be a dick about it to the composer of the game; that's completely misdirected.

Props for the Eddie Izzard references but did it have to be the one that's been done to, well...death?

Actually, the Izzard refference is, in itself a double entendre. It has a lot to do with where in the game the music is played. You'll see what I mean when the title is out!

Thanks for the kind words!

Glad you enjoyed the music,

~ Gene R.

Never heard of the game...until now that is. How great that the composer himself hyped me up to actually check this game out once it's released next year. After doing some research, gameplay seems really unique with the whole platformer/puzzler mash-up.

Anyway, I'm downloading the ZIP right now. Nice of EA to provide the soundtrack. I'm listening to the track that's playing in the site right now...very well-made, and the vocals are downright hilarious.

CAPITAL!

lol...classic.

Huh, I though if anyone responded to me, it would be answering my ponder on the quality of the game. Guess not. lol

So, do they no longer use synths on portable devices anymore? I can't get over how high-quality the music is, considering it's going on a DS. (Not that I have one and know what they're capable of.

You can critique the work without being a dick. Knock it off. :whatevaa:

Thanks for posting this Gene. Always nice to see folks from the industry posting here. :)

...huh, really sorry. I had no idea pulling punches at EA and their legal issues would offend anyone. I didn't even think EA would be offended! I would like to apologize to anyone I offended. Really friken sorry.

Also, maybe EA killed Splinter's parents or something. People hold grudges when it involves a game company murdering their parents...

No, I just thought their legal notice was funny, aggressive, and paradoxical. Sorry.

EDIT:

Re-reading my post, I would like to not apologies to people who thing VG music should suck. If it detracts from the game, there's a problem and the music aint it. Again, good the people who made this game don't blame the music for any problems.

...huh, really sorry. I had no idea pulling punches at EA and their legal issues would offend anyone. I didn't even think EA would be offended! I would like to apologize to anyone I offended. Really friken sorry.

The composer of the soundtrack was kind enough to come here and let us know that it was being released to the public for free. Instead of saying "oh thanks" and just reviewing the music, you decided to be a dick and start editorializing and making unfounded claims about the intentions of the developers, the publisher, etc.

Also, "pulling punches" means holding back criticism. The expression you want is "pulling no punches."

EDIT:

Re-reading my post, I would like to not apologies to people who thing VG music should suck. If it detracts from the game, there's a problem and the music aint it. Again, good the people who made this game don't blame the music for any problems.

What the hell are you talking about? Why are you using this thread to editorialize about people who "thing [sic] video game music should suck?" Nobody here has said anything about video game music having to suck. You have absolutely zero reason to believe that the developers are just tacking on bad music to any game, so please stop posting your poorly written crimes-against-grammar.

There are a couple songs with vocals. Did you do the vocal work on them?

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the soundtrack!

As for vocals, "Banson's Aria" was sung by a friend nd a talented musician Peter Lehman. Meanwhile, the "Pompous Adventurer's Club Theme" was performed by the "Pompous Adventurer's Club Platinum Level Senior Quasi-Amateur Barber Shop Sixtet" of which I am indeed a proud member! :|

Once again, thank you for listening to the soundtrack! Happy holidays,

~ Gene R.

Just listened to the soundtrack. Awesome stuff man. Love how you cover a variety of styles here, even chiptune. "The Lovely Bobo" sounds very J-pop with its tempo and female vocals.

My favorites were: "Pompus Club Theme", "Benson's Aria", "Go, Go Golden Robo Q", "Mystic Monocle", "Cake or Death", and "Heavy Metal".

The electric guitar playing is awesome, especially in Golden Robo. Pompus has some hilarious vocals...and Benson's Aria surprised the hell out of me with the singing. Loved the vocals on that one. Is the vocalist singing Italian or what? I'm curious about the lyrics and was wondering if you can provide them (including the English translation). Finally, Mystic's Middle Eastern sound is spot-on.

All in all, I never expected a game like this to have such a versatile soundtrack. Can't wait to play it. I'm also curious if this is the first game you worked on as a composer or are there others?

"Go, Go Golden Robo Q"... I missed that one... Don't know how, it's awesome. Wouldn't have looked again if you didn't mention it. Thanks!

I was also wondering if this was your first game or not.

The composer of the soundtrack was kind enough to come here and let us know that it was being released to the public for free. Instead of saying "oh thanks" and just reviewing the music, you decided to be a dick and start editorializing and making unfounded claims about the intentions of the developers, the publisher, etc.

OK, I'm not going to argue about this, as hard as that is. I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to hurt anyone and the editorials were more philosophy that I expected anyone who disagreed to discuss instead of be hurt, but you're right that they had nothing to do with this game or soundtrack. I thought the EULA comments would be taken as humorous, not offensive. I was wrong. I'm sorry. No more punches. I'm really sorry to have caused pain and can't think of any way to undo that. I do feel really bad about that...

This is by far not the first game I have worked on. I started writing music and doing audio for games since about 1998. Worked on everything from obscure and unreleased "Golgotha" to just about everything that came out of EA | Tiburon for the past four and a half years including but not limited to "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventures" which is the latest game I have worked on. Incidentally, this is my last title as an in-house EA composer / audio designer as I have recently left Tiburon in pursuit of another venture.

~ Gene R.

P.S. Thanks again for liking the soundtrack! :)