Final Fantasy VII 'Omniwrath' (Sephiroth's Evil Theme, Birth of God, Those Who Fight Again)

Demonstray

Alright, so I've actually had this song as it is for a while...but I'm trying to continue it.

Here's the song:

http://www.freewebs.com/cryosis/music/Cryosis%20-%20Omniwrath.mp3

And here are the sources:

Birth of God

This is all done with FL Studio, but when I finish enough of these songs I'm gonna record the guitar for all of them myself. I know that I haven't done a good job of mixing it at all, but I honestly have yet to find out how to compress, how to separate channels...all that stuff. All I really know how to do is EQ some of my drums. But give it a listen, I just wanna know if it sounds interesting to anyone. Plox. :)

I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy mixes! They were the first VG mixes I stumbled upon back in the day... Ah nostalgia.

The Good

For the slow sort of plodding, trudging mix. It never drags or feels painfully slow.

I love the choice in instruments.

If I got this right, you're putting three great songs together for a song so awesome that it can walk around shoot laser beams from its eyes while bench pressing a city bus and still getting the girl in the end. It's gonna be a huge challenge...

The Bad

0:55-2:17 has that repeating bell pattern that goes on forever! Consider making it twice as long and changing it so it's a 2 measures long, or something. I like the rest of the things going on in this section.

I'm somewhat confused on the layout. I'm assuming you would pick one of the 3 songs to kinda be your 'main' song; then use elements from the others in the work. Layout wise, I hear 1) main evil theme 2) birth of a god 3) battle. And it seems to try to go from 1 to another like 3 different mixes back to back, rather than once consecutive idea.

My advice would be to pick birth of a god and the main evil theme. Go from the main evil slow intro into birth of a god in double time. Use elements of the battle theme along the way to help fill the gaps. In my mind, birth of a god and the main evil theme are close (in the game, they're both sephiroth themes and have similar elements/feels/grooves)

The Ugly, erm I mean. Other Thoughts

I don't know if you've considered tempo changes to help out a few places where you change ideas/songs, I'd worry about layout first though.

I'm not saying you can't go from main evil to birth to battle in order like that, I just am not sure how to advise you if that's the way you want to go about it. I've heard songs that do that (Dream Theater comes to mind, and I did have a Final Fantasy Battle medley that did 4,7,8,9,10 one after another. I uploaded it to mediafire here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmtnjy2zm5n/Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, VIII - Battle Theme Megamix.mp3

I like the ideas and sounds you have so far, if you get the issues with layout worked out, I have no doubt this could be amazing.

-He

Where to start:

Tempo is just too slow and plodding for the type of music you're going for in my opinion.

The guitar sounds very, very fake. If that's a live guitar (which I very much doubt) then a lot of work is going to need to be done.

Drums are thin and minimal, probably not the best idea for the genre you're going for. I cannot even hear the kick drum unless I REALLY turn the volume up and focus on looking for the kick.

"Still More Fighting" is just way too slow, especially compared to everything else. This is where the tune should rip it up, as it is just MEANT to be played fast.

Yeah, if I had to isolate the biggest issues:

1. Tempo -- needs some huge uppage

2. Fake sounding instruments

3. Lack of percussion

Where to start:

Tempo is just too slow and plodding for the type of music you're going for in my opinion.

The guitar sounds very, very fake. If that's a live guitar (which I very much doubt) then a lot of work is going to need to be done.

Drums are thin and minimal, probably not the best idea for the genre you're going for. I cannot even hear the kick drum unless I REALLY turn the volume up and focus on looking for the kick.

"Still More Fighting" is just way too slow, especially compared to everything else. This is where the tune should rip it up, as it is just MEANT to be played fast.

Yeah, if I had to isolate the biggest issues:

1. Tempo -- needs some huge uppage

2. Fake sounding instruments

3. Lack of percussion

Yeah, I can definitely increase the tempo but that makes the faster kick sound unrealistically fast...which is actually kinda slow if you listen to bands like Into Eternity.

I've pointed out that the fake guitar (being mapped out with help from a live guitar soundfont) is for placement until I've finished the songs and practiced them on guitar enough to record them. (This includes all of my songs that feature guitar...which is all of them)

I can for sure turn up the kick, that's not a problem. I also found that the snare was a bit background-ish, so I can turn that up and remove a bit of its EQ because it sounds kinda gay.

Yeah, I guess I could at least change the tempo for Still More Fighting (which I have mistakenly titled "Those Who Fight Again")...but I might have trouble blending the two tempos together. I'll work it up a bit, but I can't promise that I'm as good as guitar as my computer is (lol).

Thanks for the heads-up though, Neko :)

I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy mixes! They were the first VG mixes I stumbled upon back in the day... Ah nostalgia.

The Good

For the slow sort of plodding, trudging mix. It never drags or feels painfully slow.

I love the choice in instruments.

If I got this right, you're putting three great songs together for a song so awesome that it can walk around shoot laser beams from its eyes while bench pressing a city bus and still getting the girl in the end. It's gonna be a huge challenge...

That...

Wait, I'm sorry, I gotta get my head back.

That...was the single most awesome thing I've ever read in my life.

Thank you for granting me that.

The Bad

0:55-2:17 has that repeating bell pattern that goes on forever! Consider making it twice as long and changing it so it's a 2 measures long, or something. I like the rest of the things going on in this section.

I'm somewhat confused on the layout. I'm assuming you would pick one of the 3 songs to kinda be your 'main' song; then use elements from the others in the work. Layout wise, I hear 1) main evil theme 2) birth of a god 3) battle. And it seems to try to go from 1 to another like 3 different mixes back to back, rather than once consecutive idea.

My advice would be to pick birth of a god and the main evil theme. Go from the main evil slow intro into birth of a god in double time. Use elements of the battle theme along the way to help fill the gaps. In my mind, birth of a god and the main evil theme are close (in the game, they're both sephiroth themes and have similar elements/feels/grooves)

The Ugly, erm I mean. Other Thoughts

I don't know if you've considered tempo changes to help out a few places where you change ideas/songs, I'd worry about layout first though.

I'm not saying you can't go from main evil to birth to battle in order like that, I just am not sure how to advise you if that's the way you want to go about it. I've heard songs that do that (Dream Theater comes to mind, and I did have a Final Fantasy Battle medley that did 4,7,8,9,10 one after another. I uploaded it to mediafire here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmtnjy2zm5n/Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, VIII - Battle Theme Megamix.mp3

I like the ideas and sounds you have so far, if you get the issues with layout worked out, I have no doubt this could be amazing.

-He

I understand what you mean about my Birth Of God bell section being too long. But I'm not clear on what you think I should do...Do you want me to make it half-length?

I was also hoping that my Main Evil riff during the Birth of a God section would stick out, so that it would make a bit of a transition between it, Birth and the battle theme. Buuuut, I guess that didn't work. I'll try something else.

Yeah, I'm gonna make some effort to blend it together correctly. Thanks for your feedback, He. :)

...Furthermore,

random-13.jpg

Okay, what I mean by half time feel (as best I can describe)

The main evil theme is slow, which to me sets the mood of what the song should be since it's the first thing you hear. Now, people are pointing out that the other pieces are too slow by comparison. My idea of a half time feel is to the main evil theme in notes that are twice as long as the time would suggest. (if you were going to use a quarter note, you use a half etc) Because of that, your intro is twice as many measures and half the speed. Then when you come into a part like birth of a god, it's twice as fast.

The problem with the slow is not so much in the 16th notes from birth of a god that are doing that neat little pattern, but the drums are slow, the guitar is slow, etc etc etc. By writing the first part in half time, you have a good base to put them where they need to be, since the main evil theme doesn't so much need a driving beat, but the other songs do.

Right now, when you get into birth of a god, you use 16th notes to artificially speed up the tempo. (but not where it's most important) By speeding up the entire song, the intro sounds faster than you want it to. Let me make an example really quick.

In short: Double the tempo you have now. Re-write the beginning to be twice as long.

This is a splice of midis that I have laying around. http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztzzdjat1ny/example.mid

INOTHERNEWS! MY HEAD HURTS! (there has got to be a better way to get a midi from an audio file other than transcribing it!) I'm transcribing SSBB dedede's theme now, and my head hurts and I'm pretty sure I still have wrong notes in there... Let me know if anyone has a better solution. I know part of the problems is the speakers I have are crap. I'm looking into proper headphones....

Okay, what I mean by half time feel (as best I can describe)

The main evil theme is slow, which to me sets the mood of what the song should be since it's the first thing you hear. Now, people are pointing out that the other pieces are too slow by comparison. My idea of a half time feel is to the main evil theme in notes that are twice as long as the time would suggest. (if you were going to use a quarter note, you use a half etc) Because of that, your intro is twice as many measures and half the speed. Then when you come into a part like birth of a god, it's twice as fast.

The problem with the slow is not so much in the 16th notes from birth of a god that are doing that neat little pattern, but the drums are slow, the guitar is slow, etc etc etc. By writing the first part in half time, you have a good base to put them where they need to be, since the main evil theme doesn't so much need a driving beat, but the other songs do.

Right now, when you get into birth of a god, you use 16th notes to artificially speed up the tempo. (but not where it's most important) By speeding up the entire song, the intro sounds faster than you want it to.

In short: Double the tempo you have now. Re-write the beginning to be twice as long.

Ohhhh, kay! I understand now. Thanks for clarifying :)

INOTHERNEWS! MY HEAD HURTS! (there has got to be a better way to get a midi from an audio file other than transcribing it!) I'm transcribing SSBB dedede's theme now, and my head hurts and I'm pretty sure I still have wrong notes in there... Let me know if anyone has a better solution. I know part of the problems is the speakers I have are crap. I'm looking into proper headphones....

Are you trying to manually transcribe it for a website, or for your own remix? Because if no website already has a transcribed MIDI file, I'm afraid I don't see any other way to do it...

Someone else might have a solution for ya, I'm not too knowledgeable in such matters.

Little of column A, little of column B. I want it for my own mix that I'm doing SSBB dedede theme, but I want it to be right also. So that I can change it and make it wrong, but it will have had been right. I'm sure there's some sort of magic formula for these things. I just play the track and listen, then write with mouse, then change. Over and over and over and over. And it's still wrong QQ.

What did you think of the half time feel/sound?

Little of column A, little of column B. I want it for my own mix that I'm doing SSBB dedede theme, but I want it to be right also. So that I can change it and make it wrong, but it will have had been right. I'm sure there's some sort of magic formula for these things. I just play the track and listen, then write with mouse, then change. Over and over and over and over. And it's still wrong QQ.

What did you think of the half time feel/sound?

Aw damn. I just used to use Guitar Pro, and use the piano feature to write all my stuff into MIDI's. But I guess for someone who's actually remixing it, it's a bit less simple. I wish you well on that, though. :)

The half-time sounds awesome. I've just been listening to everything past the intro, and I think it'll sound awesome. Now I just gotta tweak everything correctly, and laugh manically. :D

XD Yes, I have my regular 'official' audio synced up in cakewalk with a midi file, and I listen to a measure, transcribe it, listen transcribe. Listen again, and it's all wrong, hit head on wall, avoid work, avoid work, look at wall, contemplate wall, 'feel' wall, try again, wall again, head again. Sometime today the cords I need to hook up this emu 0404 to a proper output will come and I'll be able to actually hear the tones. (that's what I'm blaming and I'm sticking to it)

Anyways, looking forward to this, FF remixes alwalys seem to have a certain nostalgia for me :-P

-He