ethnic_hybrid styled track

HoboKa

haha man you got some nice samples. melodically it all seems improvised, not much in the way of hooks to grab on to. even the sparser parts of the song seemed unfocused which shouldn't even be possible really.

on the one hand it suffers from the usual lack of direction. you never really define a theme so it's always jarring when you move on to another section. however, there is a nice gradual build towards the end, so at least in the scheme of things there is a recognizable structure.

I think your melody writing is the biggest flaw here. the underlying parts are well balanced (for the most part), but the flute just wanders around way too much. i really don't understand how you can write music like this, i mean do you just randomly click notes into the thing? i think it might help if you force yourself to write music with a very deliberate verse-chorus structure because it's strange that after all this time your arranging skills aren't a whole lot better than they used to be.

haha man you got some nice samples. melodically it all seems improvised, not much in the way of hooks to grab on to. even the sparser parts of the song seemed unfocused which shouldn't even be possible really.

on the one hand it suffers from the usual lack of direction. you never really define a theme so it's always jarring when you move on to another section. however, there is a nice gradual build towards the end, so at least in the scheme of things there is a recognizable structure.

I think your melody writing is the biggest flaw here. the underlying parts are well balanced (for the most part), but the flute just wanders around way too much. i really don't understand how you can write music like this, i mean do you just randomly click notes into the thing? i think it might help if you force yourself to write music with a very deliberate verse-chorus structure because it's strange that after all this time your arranging skills aren't a whole lot better than they used to be.

Hmm guess I don't really care to make my melodies have a focus, so long as they aren't off key and don't change in tempo/beat too often. I DO have quite a few compositions where my melodies are more focused and logical but I just don't normally compose that way.

mnaybe i shoulda mentioned that this piece is more for ambience (as well as it's HoboKa styled, meaning the J's automatically hate it :P)

Hmm guess I don't really care to make my melodies have a focus, so long as they aren't off key and don't change in tempo/beat too often. I DO have quite a few compositions where my melodies are more focused and logical but I just don't normally compose that way.

I don't think this is a case of me being unable to comprehend your music or something. I'm not saying that as a rule music needs to have cut and dry melodies, but that it has to sound natural. The Wingless is a great example of a remixer on this site whose pieces tend to meander through multiple often increasingly altered variations on a particular idea, rarely returning to a hook, without ever sounding lost -- which is a feeling I get listening to your stuff a lot.

I don't think this is a case of me being unable to comprehend your music or something. I'm not saying that as a rule music needs to have cut and dry melodies, but that it has to sound natural. The Wingless is a great example of a remixer on this site whose pieces tend to meander through multiple often increasingly altered variations on a particular idea, rarely returning to a hook, without ever sounding lost -- which is a feeling I get listening to your stuff a lot.

ohhh I get it. Hmm anyone else who's like the Wingless?? I better study his (and ppl similar to his)

I love songs that evolve as they go.

It can be agreed upon the fact that this song just makes you feel lost. I liked the direction it was heading for at the beginning a LOT, though that direction seems to die off and become replaced, say.. 3, 4 or maybe 5 times. Even the mood changes from calm to epic. Now im not saying that its a bad thing, but it is rather sudden here.

I really like the atmosphere here, though. Production is pro. Thanks for a good listening.:razz:

It can be agreed upon the fact that this song just makes you feel lost. I liked the direction it was heading for at the beginning a LOT, though that direction seems to die off and become replaced, say.. 3, 4 or maybe 5 times. Even the mood changes from calm to epic. Now im not saying that its a bad thing, but it is rather sudden here.

I really like the atmosphere here, though. Production is pro. Thanks for a good listening.:razz:

thx for comments rom tom ^^

I actually like this quite a bit. Sure it meanders through (i would have the same the complaint about it feeling lost) but i REALLY like the ambience. Every once in a while there seems to be some harmonic dissonance at play, though. The blowing sound on the left at around at about 3 minutes in is sort of off-key with the melody that comes in. Some slight pitch correction would help that or possibly EQing down at around 300 Hz could possibly solve that.

Upon multiple listenings, I can definitely pick out a main melody that carries throughout the song. I feel the problem with the feeling of "being lost" could possibly be due to the fact that the melody is incredibly long. Rewriting the melody to add a couple-note hook that crops up now and then in the atmospherics would really tie the rest of the song together... If that makes sense.

I actually like this quite a bit. Sure it meanders through (i would have the same the complaint about it feeling lost) but i REALLY like the ambience. Every once in a while there seems to be some harmonic dissonance at play, though. The blowing sound on the left at around at about 3 minutes in is sort of off-key with the melody that comes in. Some slight pitch correction would help that or possibly EQing down at around 300 Hz could possibly solve that.

Upon multiple listenings, I can definitely pick out a main melody that carries throughout the song. I feel the problem with the feeling of "being lost" could possibly be due to the fact that the melody is incredibly long. Rewriting the melody to add a couple-note hook that crops up now and then in the atmospherics would really tie the rest of the song together... If that makes sense.

eh nah, it doesn't... sorry about the long time for responding, i was at Cancun for a week ><

BUT the note-hook idea does sound good, however, I'd probably need an example of what you mean - being the slow learner that I am. It runs in the family...sorry