Remixing Application : Korg DS-10

Suma

I wanted to know if any of you remixers thought if remixing with a DS-10 is useful and if it has potential (to me, you can creat all sorts of sounds and ways to make music)

For those who dont know what the Korg DS-10 is please check this informative video out :

I really would like to know if its good for remixing and if someone can help me use it^^

You could remix stuff with it, but you will NEVER get on ocr with it though, think of it more as a creative, portable, sketchpad. Write stuff up on it then do it on your DAW when you get home.

Hey man, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Maybe not a song exclusively made with the DS10 but something with it. Remember how close Battle of Strings and a Cell Phone got? :D

The DS-10 is actually pretty cool, and yes, you can make lots of neat sounds with it. You could probably make the melody and some harmony, and it'd be better to make the basseline and drums with some other program. Although, there's no way to do anything like triplets or anything like them, so if the song you plan on remixing has some odd rythm, it'd be best to use something else for the melody.

You could remix stuff with it, but you will NEVER get on ocr with it though.

Why not, hypothetically speaking? Judging from some stuff I've heard the audio quality is good enough I'd say. It seems to be a pretty capable and alright sounding synth, so theoretically it wouldn't be a problem.

It'd just be a pain to arrange anything complex and very polyphonic on it, you'd have to record several layers if you want chords or a countermelody, or use multiple DSes...haha. Well you'd probably want to record the voices solo anyway for mixing purposes. And with the little polyphony available, that'd be destined to become a logistical nightmare I'm guessing, switching back and forth between different files or patterns that are part of the same song.

Your decision if that's worth the hassle...probably not :) After all it doesn't offer anything unique, soundwise.

Whaat, no triplets?? What the hell, every goddamn Game Boy Classic tracker can do triplets...that's pretty weak.

I have the DS-10. Wonderful little toy, I've been having a lot of fun with it.

But I doubt you could use it for remixes, unless you recorded the sounds to your computer/ mp3 recorder/ mini-disc/ whatever the heck you use for recording and uploading, and added it to the track later.

But that's my thoughts.

I will say, the kaossicilator pads are a joy to play with. =D

I doubt you'd get on OCR with something made right out of DS-10. I mean, I suppose it would be possible, but very unlikely.

However, if you wanted to do something with like multiple recorded layers of DS-10s and processing, you'd likely get much farther.

Anyways a few quick thoughts on DS-10 as a tool for music: By itself, DS-10 is pretty lacking. I realize it's supposed to be a faithful recreation of the MS-20 of old, but honestly, the DS sound engine is capable of SO much more, so the limitations here are more frustrating than anything. The biggest drawbacks in my opinion are twofold: first, is the lack of any kind of arpeggiator. Just that simple addition would make the DS-10 a serious amount of powerful. Second, the limitation on patterns per song. Considering each pattern is only one measure (depending on the BPM I suppose) that's really, really limiting unless all you're gonna make is ultra repetitive techno. This makes DS-10 just shy of useless for sequencing music ideas that pop into your head on the go, which is essentially what I got it for. So when all is said and done, DS-10 is more of a toy or gimmick than a bonafide music tool. Fun to play with, and still handy for some things on the go, but not at all practical for actual application.

The DS-10 is capable of doing 4 Drum Sequences, all of them can have notes, so its not a real problem making music with it.

You dont need a 2nd DS either, not at all, heres a good example of what it is capable of :

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=7hh333ZfSuw

I recommend listening it till the end coz its kinda standard at the beginning

But srsly, i think you can accomplish alot of things because it gives you many ways to modify the sounds

Only Problem would be to have to be using tricks to make songs that normally wouldnt work with the standard given ways...

Too bad...

I thought somebody would be remixing with MS-10 or the DS-10...

I guess I can forget about remixing with it eh?