i'm thinking of buying a ds or a psp - which should i get? fanboys not allowed!

prophetik music

i'm thinking of buying a ds or a psp. but, i don't know which to get! so, i'd like you all to suggest which i should get. when you make your suggestions, please include a justifiable reason - games that are fantastic and exclusive, features you really like, etc. i don't own a wii or ps3, so any cross-platform stuff ain't gonna work for me. but if you know of any dark-horse games, any features that i'd really be interested in, post them here!

of course, i might just buy an old ps2 and buy a ton of vintage good games.

thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

I own both a DS and PSP, however my PSP is getting far more use. I would get only the PSP if I had to choose. Why?

* The screen is bigger, thus even if you had the exact same games on each system, you have a better viewing area.

* More comfortable for my large hands, the DS seems designed for someone with slightly smaller fingers and handles - shoulder buttons are a bit uncomfortable to me (note: I have a DS Lite.)

* Can play all PS1 games. This was the main reason I wanted one. I love being able to play Megaman X4, Breath of Fire III, Suikoden II and Final Fantasy Tactics all PORTABLE!

* Memory stick storage means you can have up to 8gb (maybe more, at this point) for games, saves, music, movies, pictures, etc. This is really handy - I never need to switch discs/carts.

* Built-in wireless connectivity with an internet radio and browser app. OK, so it's kind of slow, but it's still nifty, whereas on the DS you have to pay to make use of the wireless capability.

* You can turn off the PSP entirely and it will save WHATEVER you are doing at any given time. With the DS, you can close the top and put it to sleep, but it's still on.

* USB connectivity means you can very easily stick games on to your memory stick, or even use it as a little portable hard drive. I've used this feature more than I thought I would.

The primary downside of the PSP is battery life. It definitely pales in comparison to the DS in this area, so if you're really planning on bringing it on very long trips, you might need a "fat" battery pack. For me, this isn't a problem though - I use it mainly on 20 minute train rides or for 5-10 minutes while waiting for a train. However, it's not crippling, as I'd say you can get about 2.5-3 hours on a full charge.

Yeah even if you don't like any PSP games, if PS1 games and emulation are your bag, you'll want the PSP. Whereas with the DS you'll pretty much have to actually like the games and/or have a lot of friends you want to play with to justify getting one. There are some neat homebrew apps, so if you're interested in those we can help you with getting started in that regard too.

The games you like and what you plan on using it for. Game wise, there's more "adult" games available, including puzzles, "edutainment," and non-games (Learn Spanish, Callorie Counter, etc.) There's also the option to download and play from/with friends. If your pal doesn't have Mariokart or MortalKombat, no problem. Most games have this feature, to some extent. While it is usually a mini-game that two can play, some games (like the ones stated) have modified versions of the actual game for actual pvp.

The DS turns into a utility if you homebrew it right, including a notepad and an organizer, along with messengers. However, it's much more fragile, and when brewed is terrible as an MP3 player (not that it isn't passable, but it's not all that amazing).

As far as home brew games for DS go, the biggest ones that come to mind are Still Alive (2D touch-screen Portal), Warcraft Tower Defense, and GeoWars. There are others that are notable, but those three are the ones that I feel anyone who plans on hacking/brewing should have.

The big drawback for the DS is the size, as zircon said, as it's really ment for a much younger audience. You get used to it (you don't really have a choice). Also, for interface, it's very biased against lefties. With the exception of Brain Age, most touch apps/games pretty much require you use the right hand for writing and the left for trigger/D pad. This is relatively minor though, as most lefties are used to this sort of bias and become limited-ambidexterous.

The conditional drawback is that if you want to hack/homebrew, you'll need a Flash-cart, which is only available through small shops, the internet, or Chinatown (here). That's minor though, as brewing isn't for everyone.

* The screen is bigger, thus even if you had the exact same games on each system, you have a better viewing area.

* More comfortable for my large hands, the DS seems designed for someone with slightly smaller fingers and handles - shoulder buttons are a bit uncomfortable to me (note: I have a DS Lite.)

* Can play all PS1 games. This was the main reason I wanted one. I love being able to play Megaman X4, Breath of Fire III, Suikoden II and Final Fantasy Tactics all PORTABLE!

* Memory stick storage means you can have up to 8gb (maybe more, at this point) for games, saves, music, movies, pictures, etc. This is really handy - I never need to switch discs/carts.

* Built-in wireless connectivity with an internet radio and browser app. OK, so it's kind of slow, but it's still nifty, whereas on the DS you have to pay to make use of the wireless capability.

* You can turn off the PSP entirely and it will save WHATEVER you are doing at any given time. With the DS, you can close the top and put it to sleep, but it's still on.

* USB connectivity means you can very easily stick games on to your memory stick, or even use it as a little portable hard drive. I've used this feature more than I thought I would.

The primary downside of the PSP is battery life. It definitely pales in comparison to the DS in this area, so if you're really planning on bringing it on very long trips, you might need a "fat" battery pack. For me, this isn't a problem though - I use it mainly on 20 minute train rides or for 5-10 minutes while waiting for a train. However, it's not crippling, as I'd say you can get about 2.5-3 hours on a full charge.

Not once in there did you talk about PSP games.

The PSP is indeed great for all of the above things, but if you're just looking to buy a handheld video game system specifically for the games, I have to recommend the DS based on its giant and diverse library.

Someone asked me at GameStop the other day, "What is the best game that came out for the PSP in the last 3 months?" I didn't really know an answer better than Ratchet and Clank. He then asked me, "What's the best game coming out for the PSP in the next 3 months?" I didn't know that one either. "So what's the best PSP game so far?" I said probably God of War, but it's rated Mature, which doesn't mean anything to people who frequent these forums, but it means a lot to the parents of an 8-year-old who wants a portable system for Christmas.

As for the DS, it has adventure platforms, action games, music/rhythm games, puzzle games, "brain training" games, racing games, RPGs, strategies, and all sorts of other random things. Plus, the entire GBA library. The only thing that's hard to find on a DS is good mature-rated action and shooting games, which is the PSP's specialty.

In the end though, it depends on if you want action/shooting games with other diverse media functions or a large and diverse gaming library.

"Crisis Core" was another primary reason I got a PSP, and it was well-worth it, being one of the best Final Fantasies I have played in years. I didn't bring up the game library though because it's subjective; I have no idea what Brad is really looking for. Personally, I didn't find much of interest in the DS library. I bought my DS with Etrian Odyssey, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Megaman ZX.

Etrian Odyssey is a fun dungeon crawler, but I lost interest before reaching the bottom. Portrait of Ruin is cool - I have to recommend the DS if you want lots of Castlevania games, though you do get Rondo of Blood/SotN for PSP. Megaman ZX was not very good - annoying map system, and it's not as fun as games like MMX4 or Maverick Hunter X, which are only playable on PSP.

Personally, I really like great RPGs, and while there's a nice library for DS, the PS1 RPG library was superb, and the PSP has the shiny Disgaea port as well as the FFT remake, Riviera remake, etc.

Personally, I really like great RPGs, and while there's a nice library for DS, the PS1 RPG library was superb, and the PSP has the shiny Disgaea port as well as the FFT remake, Riviera remake, etc.

Jeanne D'Arc

Seriously. Also, no-brainer: if you enjoy racing games, this is one category where the PSP has the DS soundly trounced. Maybe not Kart games in particular, but for the overall category, the PSP has one of the best versions of Ridge Racer ever made, and two fantastic (and gorgeous) Wipeout games.

I was thinking the same thing as what's already been said when I read the title. It depends on the kinds of things you're looking to use the handheld for.

I have both a DS and a PSP, but I end up playing the DS a lot more. The DS has a decent stable of games when you're looking for variety and solo play. It's really a pain in the ass with most games though to get multi-player up. A lot of friend codes and other stuff serve as more frustrating than user friendly. It's also, as has been mentioned, got the entire GBA lineup behind it which is great if you've been playing GBA games before buying. In my opinion, the DS has a far superior battery life as well, and can be charged pretty quickly.

On the other hand, the PSP is pretty fun too. It's got a much more mature lineup of games, and while smaller in number, just as viable as anything the DS has. The downside is twofold. The first is that they come on bulkier disks (UMDs). Easier to find if you lose one, pain in the ass when you're trying to pack them up for a long trip. They also run the risk of getting scratched, which has never happened to me, but has happened to others I've known. The other downside being there aren't a great number of new games coming out for it. You won't have to sort through a ton of shovel-ware to find them, but you are going to have to wait awhile to get them. I haven't really wanted to buy a new game for PSP since God of War, and looking back, the only game I've wanted prior that I don't have is Crisis Core. But it does have an adjustable lighting feature which is great, the sound is spectacular, and being able to hunt down other people's wireless and tap it to check up on the forums no matter where you are is more fun than it should be given that it's probably not legal. Some people complain about the little nib that calls itself a analog stick, I've never had a problem with it. It's the square button that can get a bit sticky. Still, not a deal breaker, at least for me.

Those are my opinions though, and you're certainly entitled to pick as you will. Either one is a fair choice, depending on what you want out of your handheld and what kind of games you're in to. Enjoy either one. (If you do go the PSP route, try Mega Man Powered Up. My favorite game for that system, hands down.)

Here's a factor everyone has somehow missed: cost.

A DS Lite will run you about $130, and the games range from $30 to $50, depending upon the game.

A PSP (3000 model, the newest one) is about $170, and the games run from $30 to $50 as well. The PSP's higher cost is offset by it's generally higher specs.

Nintendo has a lot of first-party titles, but the PSP has more third-party titles. This means that you may end up spending for for the DS games because they can charge more for them.

There are also more accessories for the DS than for the PSP, but the PSP ones tend to go into more complex and expensive.

So, it's really a matter of how much you want to spend on a portable (if you really even want one, you could still get that PS2) and what games and accessories for it.

Some PS1 games work better on psp than others. I had a heckuva time getting a good version of ff8 on mine, and I'm not even gonna bother with ff7(not my fave anyway). The idea is you rip the ISOs from the game disk onto your computer using free software, then (also using free software) create eboots from the ISOs that can be put on a memory stick.

i would be buying this primarily for single-player action, not multi. i would like one with features (like the psp's movie-playing ability, or the ds's notepad). i will hack it as soon as i buy it =) and i'm not worried about getting games for it.

i didn't know that there's emulation for ps1 games. i'm pretty interested in that. however, i'm also interested in all the final fantasy remakes on the ds, since i love that series (fanboy omg).

I know next to nothing about the PSP, but thought I'd inform you about NDS homebrew, since you mentioned that you'd utilize it for either system.

First of all, a cart-based interface to run it (I use the R4DS, though there are newer, better things now I'm told) will run you around $40, and you'll also need a MicroSD card to hold data. After that, your NDS (via a program called MoonShell) will play .dpg video files, .wav, .mp3, and .ogg audio (plus others), most images, and .txt files.

NES and SNES emulation are both available, though I haven't tried it out yet. IMO the killer homebrew app for the NDS right now is Colors!, a painting program that's basically a poor man's Wacom tablet -- and you can e-mail pictures from your DS to your computer if you have wifi access.

In the end, it really comes down to games. RPG's are split almost dead even between the two systems, though the recent re-releases of Chrono Trigger and Disgaea DS help to tilt things in the DS's favor IMO.

PSP has Disgaea too.

SNES emulation is mediocre at best for the NDS. Again, if emulation is important to you, PSP is the way to go.

Also flashcards have dropped in price significantly. If you're paying any more than $20 for anything not made by CycloDS, you're getting ripped off.

And yes, Colors! is excellent. :) DSOrganize is a no-brainer as well - calendar, notepad, doodlepad, file browser, web browser, irc client, media player (even plays MODs and stuff), etc. Pretty much makes your DS a gimpy PocketPC. :D Nitrotracker is cool too; you can make samples with the built-in mic! That and/or Korg DS-10 might be something you'd find useful if you get musical ideas on the go often.

I don't know if size is important to you, but I prefer to be able to carry everything in my jeans pockets. This includes my keys, wallet, cell phone, iPod, and a handheld. PSP is way too fat for me to carry around all the time especially with the clunky set UMDs. The DS Lite isn't that small either, but those micro cards get the job done right for me.

I don't know if size is important to you, but I prefer to be able to carry everything in my jeans pockets. This includes my keys, wallet, cell phone, iPod, and a handheld. PSP is way too fat for me to carry around all the time especially with the clunky set UMDs. The DS Lite isn't that small either, but those micro cards get the job done right for me.

Well if you hack the psp, you'll never have to use UMDs. Ever.

I have both, and let me tell you, if I had to pick one or the other, I think I'd just kill myself instead. Both systems are fantastic, but I'm just gonna say that DS just slightly edges out PSP in terms of game library; it's such a joy to play. My library of purchased DS games is pretty big; so many hours dumped into playing that system. I can't even begin to name all the great games. D:

PSP is no slouch though; games like Crisis Core and Jeanne D'Arc are essential to my existence. Don't forget about Final Fantasy Dissidia coming next year; fantastic game. Also, PSP actually is a Playstation Portable; once you hack it with custom firmware, you can rip your PSX games and load them as ISOs and (after some file conversions) play right off your memory card. The emulation of PSX games is flawless.