VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Part 2 of how I got into video game music is up over at http://vgfrequency.blogspot.com .It talks about my initial foray into college radio and includes the origin of how I first found out about OC ReMix. Please check it out, and as always your feedback is heavily encouraged (as long as I like it). Part 3 will get more involved with my first days at OCR. What I originally imagined as a 3 part intro series of posts is looking more like 5 parts, as I still have to go over my first days at OCR, the VG Frequency radio show, and my time after joining OCR's staff in 2004.

In the meantime, if you're down with writing stuff, please let me know what email address you've signed up to Blogger with and I'll add you on.

Onto general queries:

I'll write something. What do you want me do to?

Anything generally about VGM is excellent. General gaming is perfectly ok as well, though I'd like the primary focus to be on VGM. I like musician perspectives on it.

Stock blogger template, Larry? For shame. I can probably come up with a template for you a la VGDJ.net if you want me to in a few weeks. Drop me a line if you're interested.

Hahaha. Yeah, Chad, I'd definitely be interested in what you could come up with. I've settled into a basic black & red color scheme that I'm feeling, but any time you're free to propose ideas, I'd love to sit down with you and talk 'em over. I trust your work.

I might be interested in doing a weekly doujin feature, perhaps with some help of some fellow doujinites such as CHz and others.

It would be an honor, David. Doujin music is one area I don't know nearly enough about. Your word on it is now gospel. :lol:

In terms of a podcast comeback; my favourite part of the show was always the interviews. More of them please.

Actually my favourite part was the prank calls but they're hardly practical are they.

Yeah, prank calls aren't particuarly doable, but I'd love to figure out how to record Skype calls in order to efficiently provide interviews. Speaking from VGDJ guest experience, interviews are harder to edit than they seem, especially on limited time. But of course, I'd want them to be a lynchpin of any OCR podcast.

You probably don't know me all that well (read: at all), however I'd love to get involved blogging about video game music. Naturally, I can provide samples for you to judge. Writing samples, that is.

Frankly, I don't know you, but if your background is solid and your writing is good, maybe you'd be game. I'm particularly looking for people with some level of stature in the amateur VGM arrangement and VGM fandom communities.

loooooooool blog comments censorship

FREE THE COMMENTS BOX, OJI

Never! Last thing I need is spam from the likes of you...r mother.

Yeah, prank calls aren't particuarly doable, but I'd love to figure out how to record Skype calls in order to efficiently provide interviews. Speaking from VGDJ guest experience, interviews are harder to edit than they seem, especially on limited time. But of course, I'd want them to be a lynchpin of any OCR podcast.

Thought about hitting up zirc and/or pixie and asking how they did interviews?

Thought about hitting up zirc and/or pixie and asking how they did interviews?

I don't need to hit them up, but AFAIK, they had both parties record their separate ends of the conversation (3 parts if zirkietricks weren't recording in the same place), then put them together. Not something I wanna do if I can avoid it, but offhand I'm imagining that that might be the only option I have.

In other news, Part 3 of how video game music enriched my already incredible life (read: ruined my otherwise promising life) is available to read at the VG Frequency blog. Be a pal and drop a judgefgt some comments. Everyone's story on how they found OCR and got into it as much as they have is different.

Hahaha. Yeah, Chad, I'd definitely be interested in what you could come up with. I've settled into a basic black & red color scheme that I'm feeling, but any time you're free to propose ideas, I'd love to sit down with you and talk 'em over. I trust your work.

We'll have to sit down for an interview on direction and ideas soon, then. I have some ideas that could work well into the red/black scheme, but I'd like to get your perspectives on what you want out of it.

I dunno about blogger as the final destination for this... limited presentation & functional customization options. A custom install of wordpress that we can play around with seems most appropriate, I'd say. We should talk requirements and potential expansion, but since this is "official OCR business" we can host it. Yes, it's convenient that blogger users don't have to register yet another account, but the functionality gained by a separate wordpress install that we control is considerable.

I had only been talking about working with the Blogger template because Larry had already created the blog.

He's not even talking about the design issues explicitly, just overall functionality. Yeah, djp'z, I trust you on it, so we'll see what we can do in the next few days to discuss things.

I am also starving for blog comments. Affirmative actions dictates that I receive additional ones.

GAH I HAD I POST WRITTEN AND I LOST IT.

I am also starving for blog comments. Affirmative actions dictates that I receive additional ones.

If you're looking for comments on your actual blogger page, it might help if there were 'post comment' links on the two latest posts. ;)

I really enjoy reading about how people, especially the 'higher ups', discover OCR and the VG music community. I especially enjoyed part 2, as I've been considering becoming involved with my university's radio station in my next term.

I'm looking forward to reading parts 4 and 5, and all of your future blog entries.

GAH I HAD I POST WRITTEN AND I LOST IT.

If you're looking for comments on your actual blogger page, it might help if there were 'post comment' links on the two latest posts. ;)

I really enjoy reading about how people, especially the 'higher ups', discover OCR and the VG music community. I especially enjoyed part 2, as I've been considering becoming involved with my university's radio station in my next term.

I'm looking forward to reading parts 4 and 5, and all of your future blog entries.

You aren't the only one getting involved with their college's radio station.

I am soon to be a dj for KALX, UC Berkeley's radio station.

Represent son, represent.

He's not even talking about the design issues explicitly, just overall functionality. Yeah, djp'z, I trust you on it, so we'll see what we can do in the next few days to discuss things.

Well, either way, Wordpress is far superior to Blogger by leaps and bounds, so I'm not complaining. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Part 4, a brief summation of the 3 years of the VG Frequency radio show, is up and available for perusal at the VGF blog. If you have thoughts or memories of the VGF radio show to share, I'd love to hear them over at the blog or here in the thread. Your memories are sure to differ from mine.

I took a couple of weeks off from the blog and OCR in general (though with OCR, a couple of weeks off might well be about 20 hours a week) to focus on my job search, which has turned out excellent. I recently obtained a position at a law firm with a great working environment, a nice salary and strong benefits. I'm looking forward to paying off my student loans in the next 5 years so I can finally be debt free.

Once I get my bearings in terms of how much free time I'll have at the end of a normal day, I'll be able to devote more time to the hobby work of VGF.

Well, either way, Wordpress is far superior to Blogger by leaps and bounds, so I'm not complaining. :)

Excellent. Once Part 5 of my scintillating hobby's life story is out there, hopefully the blog will be moved to a new home and I can follow through with adding on staff members to provide the lion's share of the blog's content. Y'all enjoy what's there for now, and my sincere thanks for reading.

Part 4, a brief summation of the 3 years of the VG Frequency radio show, is up and available for perusal at the VGF blog. If you have thoughts or memories of the VGF radio show to share, I'd love to hear them over at the blog or here in the thread. Your memories are sure to differ from mine.

I took a couple of weeks off from the blog and OCR in general (though with OCR, a couple of weeks off might well be about 20 hours a week) to focus on my job search, which has turned out excellent. I recently obtained a position at a law firm with a great working environment, a nice salary and strong benefits. I'm looking forward to paying off my student loans in the next 5 years so I can finally be debt free.

Once I get my bearings in terms of how much free time I'll have at the end of a normal day, I'll be able to devote more time to the hobby work of VGF.

Excellent. Once Part 5 of my scintillating hobby's life story is out there, hopefully the blog will be moved to a new home and I can follow through with adding on staff members to provide the lion's share of the blog's content. Y'all enjoy what's there for now, and my sincere thanks for reading.

Congratulations on the job :)

• 3 weeks later...

The new job is awesome, by the way. A really great enviroment to work in.

Part 5 is up, which talks about how I've worked to trick out the OCR database with info. Many of you old schooler remember when everything used to be very, VERY empty.

Part 6, getting invited to join the evil judges panel is written, is also up, as is the last part in my introduction series. It's soon time to add other capable parties to the blog to get stuff moving with material. I just had to blogwhore my hobby's life story before any of that got underway. After all, VGF has been my pet project for 4 years.

Dhsu & CHz are both important peeps who will hopefully be contributing with their geeky insights.

Comments are now (whoops) enabled on every post, so enjoy, and thanks for reading.