VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Thanks a lot to everyone who tuned into show #7 this past Saturday. It was definitely an eventful, and LONG show! We had quite a few new people this week which is always good, so thanks for all the new faces. Thanks to DCT, Succubus & Vigilante for providing excellent call-ins/interviews. Details on those will be provided once Species (thank you!) releases the show archive. Sorry to Species for running over, since he sets the recording time to 3 hours, and I know it's frustrating every time I go "Yeah, it's over...oh wait/ah shit...let's do something else" when we're seemingly going to wrap up. I'll definitely try and stay within our timeframe no matter how close I may end up getting.

Thanks to Jared Hudson for another new bumper introing the show. You can check it out here if you wanna comment in the thread Jared made for it. This is his first foray into doing a radio spot, so drop comment if you can. I'm definitely glad to give people like Rayza, Star Salzman & Jared (who have told me that they're glad to do an idea like this) an avenue to do radio spots and just play around with ideas for them.

Also, for those of you who weren't available to stick around after the main show wrapped up, I stayed on the air for another 3 1/2 hours beyond 1 AM. There was a lot of good stuff involved, to say the least. Minus all the dumb callers (though they were funny as hell), thanks to all the people who called in: Juverna, bLiNd, Succubus, The Wingless & Dj Abjurator, as well as all the ironmen & ironwomen who hung in there for most of the extra stuff. Though we won't have an MP3 archive of any of the hijinx from the 3 1/2 overrun, if you really wanna know some of what I played and wanna catch a glimpse of what we all taked about, have fun looking around within this week's chat transcript. I gotta say, The Wingless is one of the funniest fucks on this earth. Funny. Funny. Funny. You haven't lived till you've talked to the Wingless for 20 minutes, let alone 2 minutes.

I still have yet to set a date on having the Brothers Chaps on the air for the Homestar Runner interview, so I'm still unsure of when they'll be free to be on, but if Mike & Matt aren't on next Saturday, we'll be having interviews for show #8 from Dj Abjurator & The Wingless, as well as new tracks from FFmusic Dj, SeattleOverCoat & Daniel Baranowsky, so make sure to check it out nonetheless.

The archive for show #6 is still available for a little longer, and don't forget to check out the slew of OCRtists original works available for listening at the VG Frequency MP3.com Station.

Enough chatter, here's you tracklist:

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

"VG Frequency" - Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:05 PM - 1:05 AM EST

1. Richard Jacques - "Continue Screen" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

2. Richard Jacques - "Speed Sneakers" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

3. Richard Jacques - "Invincibility" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

4. Nobuo Uematsu - "Main Theme" [Final Fantasy II OST]

5. Dale North & Mustin - Chrono Trigger "Team Gato" [OC ReMix #313]

6. Gorveg - Chrono Trigger "Should Dalton Take Power" [bleeding Ears Extreme Remix 10]

7. Eulogic - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 "A Ride Through the Ghetto" [bleeding Ears Extreme Remix 10]

8. Vigilante - "Desire" [http://www.geocities.com/jesse_taub]

9. Nobuo Uematsu - "Walls of the Sacred Beasts" [Final Fantasy IX OST]

10. DarkeSword - Linus Spacehead "Space Drifter" [http://www.darkesword.com]

11. GrayLightning & Freemind - Battle of Olympus "Eros" [http://www.mp3.com/graylightning / http://www.websamba.com/freemindmusic]

12. analoq - StarTropics "Sonik Tropics" [bleeding Ears Extreme Remix 10]

13. analoq - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Next My Generation" [sonic 2 Ultimate Collaboration Project]

14. Beatdrop - VG Frequency "Lose His Mind" Bumper

15. Beatdrop - "Final Energy" [Final Energy]

16. Yoko Shimomura - "Going Shopping in Ripple Town" [super Mario RPG OST]

17. Kevin Stephens w/Russell Cox - Final Fantasy 4 "Four Fantasies" [http://www.mp3.com/russell_cox / http://artemis.silhouette-project.com]

18. Rayza - VG Frequency "Bee Gees' Frequency" Bumper

19. 50 Cent f/DCT - "In Da Club (Dark Sword Mix)" [http://www.thebigshot.com]

20. Nobuo Uematsu - "Cid's Theme" [Final Fantasy IX OST]

21. DCT calls in for an interview on the first day of regaining his voice to discuss "In Da Club (Dark Sword Mix)", how he originally thought up of the concept and the possible upcoming distribution of the mix, his Sonic 3 remix "Welcome to Hydro City", a desire to do more rap a capella remixes, a project brewing with himself and his friends to rap over some OC ReMixes, the potential of his Super Street Fighter 2 remix "Jamaican Soul" getting posted to OCR, the inspiration from McVaffe & Rayza to remix video game music, feelings on his late friends, Paul Miller & Unishun Mollete, and the creation of the memoriam track "Paul", joining Joshua Morse's Dash Studio and original material he hopes to put out for the group, SoundTempest.net and undue criticisms received there about the Jamaican-ness of "Jamaican Soul", updating and pimping his homepage, who he'd want to collab with, his parent's resturant Delval's in Peekskill, New York, and his roommate's party getting busted last week [http://www.thebigshot.com]

22. Succubus calls in at a mere 10¢ a minute from the not-yet-frosty locale of Winnipeg, Manitoba and banters about the chat room's concern of Larry's overusage of the word "yo", the mystery of who she's calling in the States (she could be a double agent!), when she first discovered OCR and her fandom of Rayza, the intricacies of the standard and metric systems, the improvements of VG Frequency and her hand in spreading the word on the show, and the poor readers of the UnMod sex education thread

23. The Wingless - StarFox "Retro Thrust" [http://www.thewingless.com]

24. Vigilante calls in for an interview before watching the Family Guy: Season 1 DVD with Vixen and gives his thoughts on his hectic schedule this week including the production of "Desire" & "Optimism" as sample tracks for Harvard, the composition work he's looking to do in college, potential ideas for new OC ReMixes, including a collab with The Wingless, a waltz/swing remix of "Song of Storms" from The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and a latin jazz remix of "Shademan's Theme" from Mega Man 7, the new Super Metroid combination track of "So It Begins..." & "Zebesian Midnight", his remixes and how he was selected as an OCR judge, interesting yet androgynous fanmail, VGMix2, the high quality of the latest posted OC ReMixes, the controversy on the rejected submission "Four Fantasies" and why he chose to vote NO on it, if the luster of being a judge potentially wears off, Vixen & MIT radio, the lengthy nature of the OCR submission process, his friendship with Protricity, and a friendly exiting potshot at Star Salzman [http://www.geocities.com/jesse_taub]

25. Andre, approvingly nicknamed "Vice City" by the chat room, calls in asking where Larry's bitches are and to tell us an important story about fish ("Have fun but watch it, watch it but have fun")

26. Kalliope - "Lunar Landings" [Café Del Mar 9]

27. Big Tymers - "Big" [Hood Rich]

28. Nobuo Uematsu - "Conversation with Culex" [super Mario RPG OST]

29. Red Omen - VG Frequency "More Proof" Bumper

30. MC - Chrono Cross "Dream Shore Sonata-Fantasy" [OC ReMix #1055]

31. EgM - Ys "Beat of Terror" [OC ReMix #1051]

32. Nobuo Uematsu, Tsuyoshi Sekito & Kenichiro Fukui - Final Fantasy 5 "Clash on the Big Bridge" [Final Fantasy: The Black Mages]

33. Koji Kondo - "Inside the Earthen Pipe" [super Mario RPG OST]

34. Jellyfish - "Ignorance is Bliss" [White Knuckle Scorin']

35. Yoko Shimomura - "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" [super Mario RPG OST]

36. SeattleOverCoat - VG Frequency "Decap Attack" Bumper

37. SeattleOverCoat - "Cram" [http://rks.no-ip.com/~seattleovercoat]

38. Nobuo Uematsu - "Esto Gaza" [Final Fantasy IX OST]

39. DarkeSword - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe" [http://www.darkesword.com]

The best part about the show was me screaming "and darkesword with dream pipe" ONE MILLION TIMES in the chat during the last 15 minutes of the show, and Larry not noticing until the very end as he was about to sign off.

Read the transcript; you'll see what I'm talking about.

OMG, yeah. I read through it this morning and was just amazed at how often you kept pimping it and I kept missing it, like an idiot. ("Hey, when are you gonna do Dream Pipe? ... DREAM PIPE!!!!!") Really sorry, Shariq. I know it's not too big a deal, and it doesn't happen often, but I do feel bad when I forget to do things. There's always so much going on, because I have to file track information in our station's tracklist database for everything I play, that I can miss things like requests and suggestions. And I know you asked me earlier to play Dream Pipe and I forgot to put it on the damn playlist. If anyone has to ask for format changes ("Bump my song up, cuz I have to go!"), remind me that I need to play your stuff ("Larry, you douchebag, you forgot song X"), or just tell me something in general, definitely send me an IM directly, so I'll definitely see it. I know The Wingless & Jared Hudson managed to flag me down mid-show when I didn't notice what they were saying. If you just comment in the chat, you could be throwing your words down a black hole! :) My apologies again yo, though I will be playing Dream Pipe again next week, just in case the full playing of the mix didn't make it onto Species' archive.

MAN, THE WANGLESS CALLED IN AND I MISSED IT?

*shoots self*

Yeah, I was really caught up in GunBound, so I missed the whole show. Sryz, Larry. I'll make it up to you with some exclusive material or something. Also, you played Final Energy? Wtf0ck? Did someone request it, or...?

No problem, Dain. Not everyone can be there every week; I'd never get mad at anyone for missing the show. For example, Star Salzman's been MIA for the last few weeks, and hasn't been accepting the chat invites, so I hope everything's OK with him. Why be miffed at that? No need to offer anything exclusive (though that's always good! :wink:). You've already done me a huge service by hooking me up with a quality bumper. I snagged Final Energy since it was very, very fresh, and I know you'd want people to check it out early. It definitely fit a theme with the show, since pretty much everything was material released in the past week or so. As you continue work on the album as a whole, just make sure to remind me when you issue out new tracks, and I'll make sure to play 'em. No worries on El Wango either. If the Homestar Runner interview isn't next week, which it probably won't be, John'll be calling in again next week!

VG Frequency October 18th:

LONGEST.

SHOW.

EVER.

Succubus:

SEXIEST.

VOICE.

EVER.

No worries on El Wango either. If the Homestar Runner interview isn't next week, which it probably won't be, John'll be calling in again next week!

Yay, my pimp-in-training will be calling in again. Maybe since only black guy will be calling this time, he can get thru quicker. :P You should interview Bagel Fuzzynuts, Larry...he seemed to be pretty popular in the chat at one point.

-DCT

Clearly, I'm very, very happy to interview the Wingless. I would draw an E-penis, but I almost regret even creating that word! :lol:

Ironically enough, we go from a 6 1/2 show last Saturday to my announcement that it looks as if WMRE has hired some new DJs to take over the empty slots including two n00bs for the 12 - 2 AM spot, which means that it looks like I'll be sticking tight to a 2-hour format. Will these noob DJs actually come in for their timeslot unlike the last losers? Well, if they don't, they'll be the 3rd set of peeps to never come in. We'll see though.

Well Larry, I FINALLY broke down and made you a bumper. THERE. Now play some of my music next week or something. Yay.

http://pixelated.myrmid.com/users/jigginjont/bumper.mp3

It's kinda amateurish, but oh well...

"Will make radio bumper for food or airplay..." :lol:

Sweet! Some Ben Folds style. This is tight. Did you sample a track or do something yourself? Let me know, cuz I'm definitely interested in the specifics. It's not amateurish at all, Jon. You artists, always downplaying :oops: the talent. This'll definitely be leading into your track for next Saturday. The only question is, what track do you want me to play, Jon? It's your choice yo.

BTW, Jon, Ben Folds is coming to play at Emory on November 4th. Check out the article from this past Tuesday.

Well Larry, I FINALLY broke down and made you a bumper. THERE. Now play some of my music next week or something. Yay.

http://pixelated.myrmid.com/users/jigginjont/bumper.mp3

It's kinda amateurish, but oh well...

"Will make radio bumper for food or airplay..." :lol:

Sweet! Some Ben Folds style. This is tight. Did you sample a track or do something yourself?

Man, I wish I did that myself. That was just a clip from the end of "Uncle Walter" by Ben Folds Five, my favorite track off their self-titled album (if you haven't heard that album yet, GET IT. NOW.)

The only question is, what track do you want me to play, Jon? It's your choice yo.

How about you play Anthem? I've been thinking of re-titling it to "Sabin Departs the Realm," in case you were still wondering if I'd ever get around to changing the name. Oh yeah, and I have a cross country meet up in Fresno on Saturday, so I don't know if I'll be back in time for the broadcast. Yo.

BTW, Jon, Ben Folds is coming to play at Emory on November 4th. Check out the article from this past Tuesday.

I still have never heard him live. :cry:

How about you play Anthem? I've been thinking of re-titling it to "Sabin Departs the Realm," in case you were still wondering if I'd ever get around to changing the name. Oh yeah, and I have a cross country meet up in Fresno on Saturday, so I don't know if I'll be back in time for the broadcast. Yo.

I still have never heard him live. :cry:

Dope dope. "Anthem" will be on this coming Saturday, along with the new bumper. I'll try and hold off on it as long as I can, to give you the best chance to possibly get back and hear everything over the air. You might be too spent from the meet in Fresno, so I'd personally just get boozed up and pass out, but if you wanna try and catch the tail end of the show, go for it!

Me and the Wingless were debating last week as pimps over the practicality and validity of flying hoes across the country with priceline.com. That doesn't really have to do with anything directly, but if you ponied up the dough, Jon, and flew to ATL, I could get you a ticket to Ben Folds and provide you with quality housing. Too bad time and money don't grow on trees. :lol: I'm sure Ben Folds would be very impressed with Live from the Yggdrasil.

Succubus:

SEXIEST.

VOICE.

EVER.

Damn right.

Hahaha. I haven't seen this much fawning since Bambi. :lol:

For those among you that don't have/want RealPlayer, download the lastest version of RealAlternative, which features inprovements to Media Player Classic, and allows you to check out all Real filetypes, including VG Frequency's webstream. Don't forget to snag the latest version of QuickTime Alternative as well from me if you don't like QuickTime Player.

We've got a great show this week with new stuff from FFmusic Dj, Beatdrop, The Wingless, Mark Vera, DarkeSword, Daniel Baranowsky & Dj Abjurator, along with SeattleOverCoat, JigginJonT & Wave Theory (if I have time there). Unknown's newly posted Dragon Warrior remix, "Kingdom Come" is also gonna be featured. (Nice work, Ty!) Dj Abjurator & The Wingless will be calling in this week for interviews, so be sure to check 'em out. What j00 waiting for? If you haven't been listening to this show, ya need to start. :P

For those of you who haven't been following it, reelmojo's started The People's Remix Competition. For the first contest, the contestants remixed Doom's theme for E1M9, "Hiding the Secrets", with some very impressive results. Once we have a winner, we'll be spotlighting the PRC1 submissions next week, though we will have Dj Abjurator's entry "DbD (Death by Distortion)" tonight. I'd love to do them this week, but we're already full, and besides, we have no winner yet. Check the thread out, listen to all the entries, and PM reelmojo with your choice as the winner. It's for the people.

I don't even know if I have time for everything, because I will be cutting it very close to 2 hours. Aside from the interviews, there's not gonna be much time for talk, so I'll be gabbing a lot less tonight. See you at 10.

Thanks to everyone who tuned in this past weekend, and thanks again to Dj Abjurator & The Wingless for providing quality interviews. The show was hectic as hell for me, since I was (and will be from now on) crammed into a two-hour time limit and didn't have as much freedom to just waste time and blab around like usual. Plus, we're now implementing lame commercials at WMRE to pay the bills. It was still a quality show, but I had to cut a few things from this week's show in order to fit within my 2 hours. Thus, we'll be having Mark Vera's latest original, JigginJonT's new bumper and his recent FF6 remix, as well as Wave Theory & FF: The Black Mages all reserved for next week's show. I know Jon T. was at a track meet on Saturday, so holding his stuff until next week will at least give him a chance to hear it over the air. In addition to the tracks being held over until next week, we'll be featuring the entries of first edition of the reelmojo-created People's Remix Competition, and Jared Hudson's track for the Siggraph 2003 convention, "Kromm the Headhunter".

As it relates to the chat room on AIM, I gotta point out that it's not hard to find it. Just invite yourself to the chat room name "VG Frequency" and that's all you need to do. It's the same room name every week, and it'll never be any different. I'll invite you myself if I see you, but it's not a 100% guarantee I'll see you if you sign on late while I'm underway with the show. Also, I encourage you to bookmark the show's webstream URL (which is in my sig) in your media player of choice to save yourself the hassle of asking me/the chat for it every week. And get RealAlternative while you can if you hate RealPlayer. It's still at my webspace: https://webdrive.service.emory.edu/users/loji

Pick up the AIM chat transcript for this week's show and see what all the listeners were yakking about. Probably something adult in nature.

Delaying no further, here's this week's tracklist:

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

"VG Frequency" - Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:05 PM - 12:05 AM EST

1. Richard Jacques - "Continue Screen" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

2. Richard Jacques - "Speed Sneakers" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

3. Richard Jacques - "Invincibility" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

4. Jared Hudson - VG Frequency "Break Loose" Bumper

5. Nobuo Uematsu - "Underneath the Rotting Pizza" [Final Fantasy VII OST]

6. DarkeSword - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe" [http://www.darkesword.com]

7. Beatdrop - "Starshock" [Final Energy]

8. John Pee - "Just Like the Mountain, He Will Not Move" [Treasure Hunter G OST]

9. Rayza f/Paige - VG Frequency "Scary Larry" Bumper

10. FFmusic Dj - "In Cold Pursuit" [Vector Mirage OST]

11. Masato Nakamura - "Hidden Palace Zone" [sonic the Hedgehog 2 OSV]

12. FFmusic Dj - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Hidden Palace Future" [sonic 2 Ultimate Collaboration Project]

13. John Pee - "Come Here! I Defend You" [Treasure Hunter G OST]

14. Rayza f/Joëlle - VG Frequency "976-RAYZA LV" Bumper

15. The Wingless - Super Metroid "All the World in One Girl" [http://www.thewingless.com]

16. Hajime Hirasawa - "Controls" [starFox OST]

17. The Wingless - StarFox "EdgeWorld" [http://www.thewingless.com]

18. The Wingless calls in for an interview to bring the black on-air representation up to 1 1/2 people and wax poetic about his shiny new status as the newest OCR judge, comparing VGMix1 to the OCR judges' submission queue, how his older remixes have held up over time, Larry's sparkling wordplay, his chocolate thunder, entertainment pathways he'd like to travel, doing improv comedy in college, the upcoming UPN sitcom "Wangless & Soapdrop", becoming the next Barbara Walters, how many remix ideas he can come up with from one song, a potential Super Metroid collaboration with Injury, the MISC 12 player on TheWingless.com, upcoming remix plans for Rygar along with an interactive web CD, the unstimulating environment of graduate school, his unwillingness to fly Succubus out to Chicago with Priceline.com or give her a room wth Hotels.com, and a clue on his HUGE secret project ("CD...and that's it") [http://www.thewingless.com]

19. The Wingless - "Empath" [http://www.thewingless.com]

20. Dj Abjurator - Rockman & Forte "Hyperrock Fortissimo" [OC ReMix #815]

21. Dj Abjurator - "Midnight Love" [http://www.mp3.com/aureolius]

22. Dj Abjurator calls in for an interview to talk about the adoption of his newly-created artist handle "Aureolius", the popularity of Hyperrock Fortissimo on Listen-To.com, his love for Kabuki Quantum Fighter, other remixes he's done from Rockman & Forte, the design and the meaning he wants people to take away from MP3.com page, a potential move to California and what he hopes to pursue there in media arts & animation, the glass ceiling he's hit musically in Virginia that necessitates his desired move, tooling around with Orion Pro & the Yamaha RM-1X, his younger brother and fellow remixer Lobescoper, his ability to create some tracks within hours including the recent "DbD (Death by Distortion)", the need to up his game in order to remix the NES game the Silver Surfer, his recent decision to get more involved among the OCR community, a hesistancy to submit more remixes to OCR due to the black hole some submissions fall into, and a word to keep an eye out for an upcoming CD [http://www.mp3.com/aureolius]

23. Dj Abjurator - "The River Speaks" [Abjurator: Electronica]

24. Dj Abjurator - "Embrace the World" [Abjurator: Electronica]

25. Dj Abjurator - Doom "DbD (Death by Distortion)" [The People's Remix Competition 1]

26. Daniel Baranowsky - Perfect Dark "Silent Ascent" [http://members.cox.net/systemaniac]

27. DarkeSword - "The Alleyway" [http://www.darkesword.com]

28. Hirokazu Tanaka - "Title" [Metroid OST]

29. SeattleOverCoat - Metroid "Ghost of Zebes" [http://rks.no-ip.com/~seattleovercoat]

30. Unknown - VG Frequency "How Was That?" Bumper

31. Unknown - Dragon Warrior "Kingdom Come" [OC ReMix #1060]

32. John Pee - "The World's Cavern 1" [Treasure Hunter G OST]

33. Richard Jacques - "Game Over" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

I'm just curious about something: SIX Dj Abjurator songs? What's the special occasion? That's... a lot of stuff by one person... 8O

Hahaha. The mysteries that arise when you leave in the middle of the show! :P Out of the 5 songs I played from Dj Abjurator, his 3 originals were playing in the background while I conducted my interview with him. Galen's Rockman & Forte mix was before the interview and his new Doom mix was after it. "Empath" was looping non-stop from The Wingless's site while I interviewed him.

Don't worry about Wingless, Species. He's not uppity. The sarcasm's just dripping out of his urethra! :D