VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Listening on a 56k didn't mess it up much! Well, it still messed up, but it did it for everyone so if you come back I no longer have an excuse not to tune in. And I heard your entire interview DCT... sure I heard it about 3 minutes after you did it because of the lag, but I still heard it.

When/if VG Frequency comes back, I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, folks! I still don't know anything about the status of the show next semester, but again, I'll let you know as soon as I can. In the meantime, here's the playlist from the final show from a few weeks ago. Of course, I would have put it up sooner, but finals were approaching, and I needed to put all of my focus on that. If everything was smooth sailing, I would have snuck into WMRE and did yet another show on the 13th. :wink:

Here's the playlist for the VG Frequency finale, or #13.5 if you want to call it that. Thanks to everyone who called in with their well-wishes for the show and the holiday as well. I don't believe DCT actually cut off, but we'll see when Species has the archive available. I'll be hosting the chat transcript sometime later over the weekend:

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

"VG Frequency" - Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 10:05 PM - 12:45 AM EST

1. Syusaku Uchiyama - "Title" [Mega Man 8 OSV]

2. Nobuo Uematsu - "Walls of the Sacred Beasts" [Final Fantasy IX OST]

3. DarkeSword - "Distance" [http://www.darkesword.com]

4. Nobuo Uematsu - "Revivication" [Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy Origins) OST]

5. shadow - EarthBound "Oceans of Mud" (Render 4) [VGMix2 #572]

6. Keiichi Suzuki & Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka - "You've Come Far, Ness" [EarthBound OSV]

7. Nobuo Uematsu - "Underwater Temple" [Final Fantasy I (Final Fantasy Origins) OST]

8. bLiNd - F-Zero 1 "Lake of Firefield" [F-Zero Megamix]

9. Hiroki Kikuta - "Spirit of the Night" [secret of Mana OST]

10. Gecko Yamori - Mega Man 2 "Chill" (WIP 2) [VGMix2 #537]

11. Star Salzman - Mega Man 2 "Tickle My Wily" [http://www.starblast.org]

12. Yasunori Mitsuda - "Shadow Forest" [Chrono Cross OST]

13. DCT - "The Throwback" [http://www.thebigshot.com]

14. Yasunori Mitsuda - "Earth Dragon's Island" [Chrono Cross OST]

15. SuperGreenX - Dance Dance Revolution "A" (WIP) [http://www.supergreenx.com]

16. Hitoshi Sakimoto & Masaharu Iwata - "Repose" [Final Fantasy Tactics OST]

17. Nobuo Uematsu - "Costa del Sol" [Final Fantasy VII OST]

18. shadow - "Personality" [http://www.dackz.net]

19. Children of the Monkey Machine - Secret of Mana "Pure Lands Total Darkness" [OC ReMix #1084]

20. OverCoat - Metroid 1 "The Brinstar Beat" [http://rks.no-ip.com/~seattleovercoat]

21. Hiroki Kikuta - "Far Thunder" [secret of Mana OST]

22. Nobuo Uematsu - "Dark Messenger" [Final Fantasy IX OST]

23. Jared Hudson w/zyko - "The Sting" [http://www.hudsonstudios.net]

24. Destiny f/Species 8472 & Liontamer - Seiken Densetsu 3 "This Heart (Tribute to VG Frequency Mix)" [VG Frequency]

25. Charlie Y.K, Hiya & Hiroshi - "Solo Sortie" [super R-Type OSV]

26. Star Salzman - Final Fantasy 7 "It's Hard to Stand Next to Me When I'm So Freaking Seasick" [ironMix Challenge X: The Big One (General Discussion)]

I found out a few days ago that I will indeed be coming back next semester. You may have noticed in my sig that the next show will be on January 24th, shortly after WMRE has us DJs go back on the air. I really appreciate everyone's well wishes in hoping that I'd be alright and that the show could come back, so I wanted to briefly let people know why the show was in jeopardy before I get to a few things I'm planning to do for next semester.

For those of you who don't know, I suffer from one of the forms of anxiety disorder, and I have a tough time going to classes much of the time (as well as going out to other places that involve strangers). Most of my classes has attendace components or pop quizzes that factored into 25-30% of my grades, and I almost got lower than a C average, which would have flunked me out of Emory. Luckily, I was able to talk to my professors, and in conjuction with me working hard to fight my anxiety interacting with others over the last 2 months, I was able to pull my shoddy GPA this semester to a 2.0 exactly. To be perfectly honest with you, by all reasoning, I probably wasn't coming back. Frankly, it was busting my ass combined with a LOT of luck that's keeping my around, so I don't intend to let things slip so dramatically again. I actually function a lot better meeting new people when I have someone else that knows them as well, which is pretty much the only way I meet other people, otherwise I keep to myself (which is what I generally do every day). Hosting VG Frequency allowed me to meet a lot of new people, thanks to them taking the first step of breaking the ice with me, so the show's certainly been a worthwhile experience. Besides, I don't experience an abnormal level of performance anxiety performing in front of large crowds or doing a radio show, since that's another form of anxiety. Anyway, that's the briefest summary I can give you (instead of an autobiography) of why the show was in danger of ending, but don't worry about me at this point. I don't wanna make a big deal about it, plus I intend to be a lot more proactive in regards to handling my problems now that I've been jolted into action.

Now that that's cleared up, lemme first thanks every single person who's listened into the show, even though we all hate the RealPlayer webstream. We always have a good crowd chillin in the AIM chat room and they make the show enjoyable for everyone, including myself, even when I'm hectically working on things over the course of the program. I'm also glad that loads of different mixers and fans have been able to interact and get acquainted with each other because of the show.

Thanks a lot to Species for archiving the shows every week, which I honestly never expected as a possibility when I first started the show. Everyone, especially the people who have called in for interviews and myself, has really appreciated being able to have copies of the shows to listen to. I can't provide the shows from #10 to the end of season 1 until I go back to school and its high-speed network, so be patient on getting those archives. The holdup is all on my end, and not Species, who always works hard to master the shows and compensate for any problems the stream may have had.

Thanks to all the interviewees and callers who have participated in the show that way. I'm not afraid to say that having people in the remixing community on the air definitely contributes a lot of legitimacy to the show as being something that people involved with OCR & VGMix should go out of their way to check out. For the people I interviewed, I hope I did a good job of being fairly knowledgeable about your works and providing you with relevant, intelligent questions.

Everyone who's made a bumper also kicks ass, especially OverCoat & Rayza. I can't say I expected 21 bumpers instead of maybe 3, so the turnout over the course of the season was great, plus I didn't get a single shitty one. I'm glad everyone who made one had fun playing around with ideas. Keep 'em coming! If you wanna check out all of the bumpers created so far, go over to my webspace here and snag 'em.

Every time AIM Fs up on me, I'm glad I have guys I can count on like The Coop, OverCoat & others to hook my up with the show's weekly chat transcript, so people can look back on how unbelievably stupid we all were. Looking back on show #6, I know we're all going to hell.

And of course, at the heart of the show is the music, so in addition to being glad about playing regular VGM, thanks to all of the mixers who have provided me with material to spotlight on the show. I never thought I'd have a easy time filling up the two hours of my show every week, but once I hit show #4 I was always pressed for time to fit everything in. Everyone's been great giving me the heads up on new material and providing me with SECRET glimpses into WIPs and releases, and Ignis generously hooked me up with free overnight shipping on a copy of FF: The Black Mages, so we're never at a shortage of stuff to play.

Of course, everything's tentative, but I do have plans for future shows, including IMC & BEER spotlights, spotlights on the Psyscapes & ReVamped soundtracks, the H*R interview with the Brothers Chaps, another all-originals show featuring only original music from the VGM remixing community, as well as a show with only regular music tracks picked by mixers. And of course, we'll be pimpin' out video game music and mixers, along with interviews on a regular basis, so be sure to be along for the ride once we get started again next month on January 24th. I may be able to slip in a preview show sometime between January 20th & 24th to kick off season 2, but of course I'll let you know about that. In the meantime, everyone enjoy their holiday breaks, and we'll start back up in no time.

Wooo, this rocks. I only found out about the show when it was near the end of the season, so i only caught about the last five shows. The music was cool and the AIMs were fun. Im glade that the show will live on. And im sure many of the listeners are thankfull that you take the time to put on the show.

I hope things go well for you next semester larry, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting pretty close to VG Frequency starting back up again, so I'm feeling good on that front. I'm hoping to put up a section on the VGF webpage devoted to the show's playlists, plus I still have some AIM interviews I'd like to get out there down the line.

The current rundown of the Season 1 playlists is coming pretty soon. I'll just edit the post once I host the document. Then you can go "OMG, I've been played X times!" or "WTF, Larry? Play my stuff more often, bitch!" Once I listen to the archives of shows #10-13.5 later in the month, I can provide call-in and interview details for the later shows, but for now you'll just have to settle for a rundown of tracks on those episodes.

If you're not busy now (i.e. if you have yet to start classes yet) and would like to do a bumper/jingle/station identification for the show before Season 2 gets underway, please do (preferably with 3 seconds of silence at the end). I'm hoping for some new blood on a couple of bumpers. If you're down with an interview sometime down the line, let me know as well. There's always room for you and your communist rantings on the show.

Alright folks. We're fast approaching the return of VGF. I'll be doing a preview show for Season 2 this coming Thursday night from 10 PM to 12 AM EST. There won't be any requests, since I'm saving those for next Saturday, the official "OMG Thingamajig" celebrating the return of of the show. As usual, we'll be hanging out in the "VG Frequency" chat room on AIM, so if you're not familiar with the show, hit me up on Liontamer87 to get into the chat. (Guess the name of the chat room for no prizes!)

Alright folks. We're fast approaching the return of VGF. I'll be doing a preview show for Season 2 this coming Thursday night from 10 PM to 12 AM EST. There won't be any requests, since I'm saving those for next Saturday, the official "OMG Thingamajig" celebrating the return of of the show. As usual, we'll be hanging out in the "VG Frequency" chat room on AIM, so if you're not familiar with the show, hit me up on Liontamer87 to get into the chat. (Guess the name of the chat room for no prizes!)

Thank Jeebus for this thread... i was getting all ansy.

Thank Jeebus for this thread... i was getting all ansy.

Be antsy no more, sister. The hour approaches. I've got some tracks lined up in general, but I'm going to spend today gathering a few requests. So if anyone has anything they wanna hear tonight, lemme know where to snag a copy and I'll try and get it on the show. The real good stuff is set for Saturday night, which is crammed with new material, and will probably result in me running behind and cutting a few things.

For any new people, please check out the show, and get the details you need from the VGMix VG Frequency thread so you can participate in the chat room and hang with the peeps. We're on the air tonight at 10.

I'm looking forward to finally getting back on the air. [sarcasm]Now I can finally get off of hard drugs.[/sarcasm] It's good to be back.

Thanks to everyone for the great turnout tonight. AIM was being weird, but a lot of people managed to be around, and it was good to be back doing the show. I thought tonight was an excellent example of a really diverse playlist that people could enjoy, so I hoped you liked the preview show for Season 2. The webstream was being a bitch for Species, so there won't be an archive of it, but hopefully things may look a little bit better for this Saturday. I wouldn't count on it, but Shoutcast is coming as soon as I can get it going. Meanwhile, Saturday's show is stacked even heavier than tonight's playlist with tons of fresh material from over the winter break, so make sure you're around. Here's the rundown of tonight's playlist:

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

"VG Frequency" - Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 9:50 PM - 12:05 AM

1. Star Salzman - Final Fantasy 7 "It's Hard to Stand Next to Me When I'm So Freaking Seasick" [ironMix Challenge X: The Big One (General Discussion)]

2. Nintendo Sound Team - "Game Select" [Tetris & Dr. Mario OSV]

3. Jared Hudson - VG Frequency "Break Loose" Bumper

4. Namco Sound Team - "Xiaoyu Stage BGM" [Tekken Tag Tournament OST]

5. Star Salzman - Tekken Tag Tournament "Sex Machine" [ironMix Challenge XIII: I Find Xiaoyu Attractive]

6. Tetsuya Shibata & Mitsuhiko Takano - "Lounge Beat" [Marvel vs. Capcom 2 OSV]

7. Koji Kondo - "Snow Mountain" [super Mario 64 OSV]

8. Richard Jacques - "Diamond Dust (Act 1)" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

9. Richard Jacques - "Diamond Dust (Act 2)" [sonic 3D Blast OSV]

10. H. Maezawa, Jun Funahashi & Yukie Morimoto - "Rising" [CastleVania III OST]

11. Daniel Baranowsky - The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time "Awakened Fears of the Gerudo" [VGMix2 #310]

12. Jaroban - Super Mario Bros. 1 "Super Mario Bros. Medley (Live)" [VGMix2 #180]

13. Juverna - "Crimson Twilight" [Eighty-Eight]

14. Russell Cox - "Noble Intensions" [Classical Reflections]

15. Ryu7x - Streets of Rage 1 "Impulse" [http://rzx.emugenerations.com]

16. Ogeretsu Kun, Manami Ietel & Yuukichan's Papa - "Quickman Stage" [Megaman II OST]

17. OverCoat - Tetris "Bricks" [http://rks.no-ip.com/~seattleovercoat]

18. bLiNd - F-Zero 1 "Silence of the Synth" [F-Zero Megamix]

19. Stephen Kennedy - Batman "Music of Funk" [OverClocked ReMix #222]

20. Mark Vera - "Lost in Space" [http://www.spacesynth.net/markvera]

21. Graeme Norgate & Grant Kirkhope - "Soviet Missile Silo" [GoldenEye 007 OSV]

22. Soyo Oka & Taro Bando - "Choose Your Driver" [super Mario Kart OSV]

23. analoq - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Loner" [bleeding Ears Extreme Remix 1]

24. Disco Dan - "Crossing on Red" [Crossing on Red]

25. Unknown & random splinter - GoldenEye 007 "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" [VGMix2 #861]

26. Shitamachi Kajiya & Mayu - "Underground Maze" [Ninja Gaiden II (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy) OSV]

27. Yoko Shimomura - "Going Shopping in Ripple Town" [super Mario RPG OST]

28. Species 8472 f/Liontamer - VG Frequency "Wrong Number" Bumper

29. James Lileks - Howard Dean "Yeagh" [bleatophany]

30. SgtRama - VG Frequency "Eat a Bumper" Bumper

31. Naofumi Hataya - "Stardust Speedway (Good Future)" [sonic the Hedgehog CD OSV (Japan) OSV]

32. Naofumi Hataya - "Metallic Madness (Bad Future)" [sonic the Hedgehog CD (Japan) OSV]

33. DarkeSword - "Violet Leaves" [http://www.darkesword.com]

34. Trance-Canada - "Lost Love ][" [http://www.funender.com/music/bands/656]

35. D.J.Amuro - "A" [beatmania IIDX 7th Style OST]

36. Yuzo Koshiro - "Filmoa" [ActRaiser OST]

37. po! - Chrono Trigger "Electric Clouds" [VGMix2 #646 / OverClocked ReMix #1092]

38. Pixelated - The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link "Crying Alone in the Darkness" [VGMix2 #411]

39. Midee w/prozax & Dave Kellogg - Life Force "Tactile Freefall" [VGMix2 #601]

40. SuperGreenX - "Activity Unbroken" [http://www.supergreenx.com]

41. Soyo Oka & Taro Bando - "Mario Circuit" [super Mario Kart OSV]

42. Yuzo Koshiro - "Game Over" [streets of Rage OSV]

43. Disco Dan - Megaman 3 "Purple Meltdown" [Megaman III Remixes]

44. Disco Dan - Megaman 3 "Needleman by Night" [Megaman III Remixes]

Yo everyone, we're pretty damn close to the big debut of Season 2 of VG Frequency. There are a ton of tracks on board, and I'll be hard-pressed to fit them all, but I'll do my best. This winter break has featured a lot of excellent material coming out from OCR, VGMix and remixer homepages. Tune in to check out a lot of high-quality stuff from: AmIEviL, Beatdrop, Blue Envy, Dale North, Daniel Baranowsky, DarkeSword, DCT, Destiny, Dev VJ, Digital Coma, Disco Dan, Freemind, Gecko Yamori, GrayLighting, Kevin Stephens, Mazedude, OverCoat, Palpable, Shadow, Star Salzman, SuperGreenX, Trance-Canada & virt, along with new bumpers from OverCoat & zyko.

Bomb ass mixes. Phat original tracks. An AIM chat room with fans and remixers. A milk chocolate radio host. What more do you want??? "A MP3 stream instead of a RealPlayer stream!" Hey, shutup! Tune in tonight at 10 PM EST and check out the first episode of Season 2 of VG Frequency for yourself. It's gonna "non-lousy", I assure you. Ok, maybe not. But I'm still milk chocolatey.