VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Hey, since the Gamingforce Forums are down, Song of the Week is also in hiatus. If those forums are still down by next Monday, I'll just have to hold the Nominating/Voting here at OCReMix instead (not to the disappointment of anyone here :)).

Any idea about what happened to them? I originally thought that my school had mysteriously blocked the server (a similar thing happened a few months ago with Urban Dictionary... it just stopped working on campus but not for everyone else), but it turned out that it wasn't working for anyone else either.

I've been in #gfchat like three times since the forums have been down but nobody, not even the admins, will give an answer. I don't think they have any answers. The head admin, Bobo, is a fuckoff when it comes to managing his forum. He comes by only maybe once every few months. I believe he's on vacation right now, so nothing can be done until he gets back, as far as I know. I don't know why he doesn't grant server access and other useful information to the other admins there (or at least one of the admins), but that's how shit works, I guess.

But anyway, I'm a bit lucky though. Thanks to Google cache, I was able to retrieve the newest updated SotW rules (which I haven't backed up for at least a month) complete with formatting. I was also able to obtain the nomination queue from WEEK 17, which is a week off, but still not bad. I'm also a bit glad I delayed starting anything for WEEK 19, as now I can just start fresh if I need to.

I want to continue SotW, GFF or no GFF. But I have some problems in deciding this.

One problem is that if I start it here (or somewhere else) and then have GFF come back up the next day, what would I do then? Should I switch back to GFF, or stay where I am now?

Another problem is actually deciding where I want to hold the event. I could do it here; I have long-standing ties to this site, Larry Oji pimps the event on VG Frequency, and some of the participants in SotW even originally came from here, so it would make sense. I could also do it at Slightly Dark, since they have a lot of the GFF "game music" members over there, but they also have an "Album of the Week" in a sense, and thus my contest would seem a bit imposing and conflicting. Then again, I could just decide I want complete control over the forum it's being held in, and thus hold it at my own forums (once I launch a new version of it on my new host, which will be happening soon).

I'm still giving GFF until Monday, then I'll start making some decisions.

Perhaps run the event in tandem, so there's backup in case one of the forums is down? Nobody really needs to see other peoples votes, but they could if they wanted to.

I don't know about doing that every week (might be a bit of a hassle... not sure), but running SoTW in tandem across a few forums while GFF is down might let you reach new audiences who'll follow you back once GFF comes back on-line. Just a thought.

A word from Larry who I had just at the phone right now:

"No show today!

I'll get my Laptop back on monday, sorry. I'm planning to do some makup shows within the week. If I don't make it, the usual schedule next saturday again."

No words about newer shows in mp3 format yet. I guess we just have to be patient about that.

Have a nice evening. ;)

For your convenience.

Tune in as usual at 10pm (saturday, GMT-5/EST, Atlanta, GA). Please don't forget that the eastern globe get's a summer-time change at 2am one hour forward to 3am short before the show starts. Not that you're an hour too early. Here's a small overview of the most salient timezones for you.

Small World-Timetable

Los Angeles (CA, USA): 7:00pm
Calgary (Canada): 8:00pm
Atlanta (GA, USA): 10:00pm
Rio de Janero (Brazil): 1:00am (Sunday)
Reykjavik (Iceland): 4:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
London (England): 4:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Oslo (Norway): 5:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Germany: 5:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Paris (France): 5:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Helsinki (Finland): 6:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Kapstadt (South Aftrica): 6:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Moscow (Russia): 7:00am (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Hong Kong (China): 12:00am (Sunday, midday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Tokyo (Japan): 1:00pm (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)
Sydney (Australia): 3:00pm (Sunday, SUMMER-TIME!!)

Have fun while listening to VGF#54.

:arrow: VGF Makeup Shows will be the canceled VGF#52 and VGF#53 shows. A possible schedule is not yet known.