OCR01790 - Valkyrie Profile "Yggdrasil Speaks to Me"

djpretzel

Great stuff man! This one hooked me from the first seconds and it's hard to shake the first impression off. I love the acoustic guitar and piano. 00:50-> is grand. There *is* an iffy spot at 02:40-02:43 where it goes a bit dissonant in a bad way. I think I can live with that. Overall, gorgeus. Good work!

--Eino

Wow...

Valkyrie Profile doesn't get enough love in this site, but I'm so happy that you remixed two of my favorite tracks from the OST. Excellent work. You channeled Sakuraba and Mitsuda quite well here. Gotta agree with Soundscape's write up; the acoustic guitar playing the background really reminds me of Town of Twilight from Shadow Hearts 2...if only someone remixes this track...

Keep up the good work!

Parts of it remind me of the main theme of Live A Live. Then there are the other references people are saying, and even a hint of the song A from IIDX/DDR near 2:20.

I like the ending the best. It ranks up there as one of the most hauntingly alluring sections of any game remix out there. 3:24 = yes. Otherwise, I'd have liked to see some different directions taken, like sounding less of a MIDI file/perfectly quantized/minimal risks composition.

Fantastic mix! The piano complemented by the strings is superb and sounds very well done. The incorporation of the three different songs keeps the remix fresh, which is a pleasure considering how video game source material tends to get repetitive pretty fast ^_^.

As a random note the style of certain sections of this mix remind me of parts of the OST from the Metroid Prime series specifically the Phendra Drifts song.

Anyone else get a bit of a Wingless vibe hearing this?

Yep.

Wonderful song, very soothing, very atmospheric. However, I have to admit that I'm not really fond of the drop-out at 2:50 and the following minute; to me, it just sounds like a really drawn out ending. Nothing that'll make me stop listening to this remix, but I would have preferred the last minute to be a little livelier. Or simply shorter.

Some of the sequencing seemed a little mechanical, mainly the guitar arpeggios, but this was overall a really enjoyable mix. I totally hear the Mitsuda influence- it's like a long lost Chrono Cross track. :-)

Samples actually sound very reminiscent to CC as well, and while they were overall well-used, I think a little bit more care with velocities and mod would really kick your game up a notch. Great first mix though, it's well-chosen source tracks put together in a cool style.

Some of the sequencing seemed a little mechanical, mainly the guitar arpeggios [...] I think a little bit more care with velocities and mod would really kick your game up a notch.

Can you be more specific? I hear the mechanization and stiffness in this track and much of my other songs too, and I'd love to figure out once and for all what it is I'm not doing right.

And I did use the velocities, I must've spent like 10 hours on that alone, but it still comes off MIDI and mechanical.

• 2 months later...

As a random note the style of certain sections of this mix remind me of parts of the OST from the Metroid Prime series specifically the Phendra Drifts song.

Yah, I got a huge Phendrana Drifts vibe from this, which is great because I could listen to that track for hours on end.

Okay, so I really love this mix, and here's why. First thing that was done right was the decision to cover a Motoi track. Freaking yes. Second was to cite Yasunori heavily in the influence. Third, and most importantly, the mix was done in a seamless, sensible manner that sounds like a standalone composition.

Contemplative, emotive and very pretty. A round-up of very smart ideas combined very skillfully. I do like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01790 - Valkyrie Profile "Yggdrasil Speaks to Me"