Searching for a forgotten game

EnigmaJunk

I've been looking for this game off and on for over a year now with no success, so I've decided to see if probing the knowledge of fellow gamers yields any better results. Here's the story:

About 10+ years ago, I remember looking in an old gaming magazine at either a Genesis or SNES game (not sure which) which starred, if memory serves, a vampire kid who I think was wearing a magician style cape and top hat. From what I remember of the screenshots, it looked to be an action RPG in the style of Secret of Mana/Illusion of Gaia/etc.

However, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, and thus have been unable to find it. It might not have even come out in the US; Those same old magazines are also how I first learned of the original Star Ocean, which never got officially localized. Most of the details of this game have simply been forgotten in time.

I know it's not much to go on, but does anyone know of a game matching the description I've given?