OCR01792 - Mario Kart 64 "Holiday Frappe"

djpretzel

I honestly would have to say I hate the source material solely because penguins jumping in front of me was one of my pet peeves with the game.

Also, not a fan of christmas music.

HOWEVER if I was a fan of either this source tune or Christmas music, I'd be able to appreciate the extremely good instrumentation, the balanced sound, the fun and upbeat melody and the general awesomeness of this mix. Hell, I'd almost be able to forgive you for using this source tune since you use it in such a nice expansive way, really fleshing out the tune and making it your own, just having fun and getting to play with it. This is good stuff, seriously!

Oooh, yeah, this is some nice stuff here. I especially love your piano solo - that was well done. Arrangement is very good. I've always been of the opinion that OCR lacks Jazz compared to everything else that gets posted - 'tis the season for awesomeness. I want moar!

Very nice arrangement. I've been listening to the big band tracks in GTA4's Jazz Nation Radio lately and felt this could stand alongside those!

Having said that, I kinda wish the trombones(?) had a greater presence. I think I understand having them more muted/ambient was your intention as background holiday music. Yet, for me, I was a bit frustrated that it was a bit too "far back" and echoy as if playing from the other side of a tunnel.

Does that make sense? I think you're really onto something with this tho. Kudos for doing something different!

I remember you showing me this right before you subbed it, and I thought "wow, how completely shameless to game the OCR system like this". ;-)

Great incorporation of the themes, they fit together perfectly. The various Christmas staples mixed in with the also-familiar Mario Kart theme is classy, and the style is spot-on. The piano and drums are especially convincing. I feel a little weird about listening to this one at other times of the year, but while it's still snowy, and i'm drinking my ghetto mocha, this is the way to go.

GG dude, can't wait to hear more from you. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I didn't feel it was that much like most Christmas songs, but instead suggested a quiet Christmas by the fire. Very gentle and well put-together, and a great addition to OCR.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. It's one of my favorite lounge jazz remixes on the site. Honestly I had no idea Tweek had this in him, but it's ended up being one of my favorite mixes of his. The drums are a particular high point for me, they're very exciting for such a laid back track.

You can bet I'll be listening to this one a lot in the coming weeks!

• 2 months later...

I'm not one to go "oh huzzah!" for Christmas music. It's overplayed and just a tiny bit too happy. All the time. It's no wonder that I like Carol of the Bells (the only seemingly not too happy x-mas song around.) That being said, I really enjoyed this ReMix, because while I do hear some Frosty, Merry Christmas and Frappe Snowland in it, it's all wrapped up tight in a wonderfully jazzy present. Very good work on this. If any song can put me in the spirit, it's this, and that's saying something.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01792 - Mario Kart 64 "Holiday Frappe"
  • 1 year later...