OCR01038 - Xenogears "Skyline"

djpretzel

I actually didnt care much for the drums, particularly at the middle-- a little loud and short on my speakers; almost out of place. Some of the instruments feel a little "short" and overly fluctuated too, at least early on before i got used to em.

The feel and composition of this mix is just about perfect, though. Quite positive (people make more positive remixes! ;)) and yes, has enough gusto to go around. Reminds me a bit of a couple of Orkybash's and a few of DJP's works, but with a style all its own.

If it has a personal connection as you mention in the writeup, you're probably a peppy, smart, and carefree individual-- a free spirit, I guess? :P

:nicework: Nice Friggin' Work! This is high-quality stuff that pulls off exactly what it tries to be. It did remind me of aerial flight in a lot of ways, with the swooping optimistic melody. That drum programming is insane magic fun deliciousness, as should be expected from Ziwtra, who has yet to let me down in that area, and the small things like guitar hits really help make this mix very listenable from start to finish.

Ziwtra, this reminded me in some ways of your Terranigma Blue remix, with the flowing melody and interesting drums. I liked that song too. In fact, I've liked every song you've put out, why aren't you up there with AmIEvil and DJP as one of the best on the site?

This makes you want to drop everything and take on the world with your friends.

So true, this remix is incredibly amazing, everything is so defined and crisp. I could understand what you meant by feeling like you're flying above the clouds, it definitely generates a 'top of the world' aura. Congratulations, this remix kicks some serious ass.

-Nox

I think I remembered hearing this on the WIP boards, it was one among many of the new works in progress nowadays that I hoped would be passed, and voila, here it is. I do indeed felt like I was flying through the clouds as I listened to this, this is really some great work here. This is beginning to get me juiced to do a song of my own.. 8O

first off, awasome remix! ..... I was told to listen to this song and, it sounds nice but ... it just didnt sound as good as people told me it was. I dunno, I'll tell what I thought was average, and nothing much more special than any other average song.

something about it just seems like a midi rip(not saying it is). no special tune with the main melody, I heard you play the melody, and some real awasome breakbeats ... but you didnt offer any more .... well its just that I expected more because of what friends of mine told me about this song. and I just thought that I might as well tell you. I dunno but I kinda sound like an ass right now :oops: sorry, not usually like me. great work though. it had alot of varity and difference in it. I love hearing stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

First time I heard this, I was a little disappointed, was expecting something different. It grew on me the more I listened to it though, I like it a lot now. Kinda reminds me of Gregson-Williams but with a little rock guitar. The semi drum cadence midway through and at the end rule.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

The start of this track is a huge rush - it has depth, movement, complexity and excellent production quality. I had Ormgas running in the background and when this came on I stopped to listen. Superb!

...And then the main theme started. The theme track sounds completely out of place. It sounds like it was made with a child's Casio keyboard with a poor artificial echo. It sits awkwardly onto the fantastic track and IMO spoils it. Maybe it was the choice of instrument or something - I don't really know the details of how remixes are produced in anything other than Fruity Loops.

The intro is a 9/10 and the same layers stay at a 9/10 for the duration. Unfortunately the main theme layer drags it down to a less impressive 7/10 overall once it kiks in. if I'm listening to it on my jukebox I skip past the track once the main part kicks in :(

• 3 years later...

The sense of musical transportation is really apparent here. It's becoming rarer and rarer these days to find music that strives to be more than just be pleasing for the audience to listen to. The energy established by the drums is sort of an antithesis to the nature of the melody, however it works. While the melody is one of the most uplifting there is, it could easily be mired and grow stale. The rapid beats provided give it constant stimulation, which is why the sum of the parts can sustain vivid imagery. It's very consistent, and a great track overall.

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01038 - Xenogears "Skyline"