OCR01863 - *YES* Vagrant Story 'Youthful Bravery'

Liontamer

Neither the current ReMixer name nor the ReMix name set the world on fire. :lol: - LT

Contact Info

ReMixer name: SakimotoFanboy

Email: fredrik.hathen@gmail.com

Site: http://www.fredrikhathen.com

User ID: 22119

Submission Info

Game name: Vagrant Story

Song name: Joshua

Additional info: Composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto. The game is for the PSX.

Personal comments: I wrote this piano arrangement to be performed by myself at a concert. The audience had no idea the original song came from a game, and I wanted to see their reaction. The piece was well received by everyone, and I got the idea that I ought to record it in a more professional manner. It has been polished, tweaked and edited a lot, and now I submit it to OCremix to see how it's received there.

The reason why I chose this song is that I love Vagrant Story's soundtrack, and this wonderful little theme in particular.

LT Edit (12/25): Source tune on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfy5XFXAX0

------------------------------------------------------------

Vagrant Story Original Soundtrack - (206) "Joshua"

Structurally, pretty straightforward in the manner of the original. I think part of the "drawback" is that it's not necessarily the most unique piano arrangement since it doesn't take many liberties with the structure.

Nonetheless, comparing the two, the performance dynamics were much more pronounced in this take, and the ambient section in the original that went on for 30 seconds (:46-1:17 of the source video) was scrapped entirely, with Fredrik opting for some original writing that pieced together seamlessly with the source.

This certainly isn't poorly performed or arranged, I just think the arrangement could have been more interpretive. That said, this was performed live with excellent results, and what's there works for me. I'm willing to give it the go. Good luck with the rest of the vote, and I definitely hope we hear a lot more from you!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Very different feel thanks to the changes in the dynamics here. This is very subdued and lonely, where the original felt more bombastic. There are some subtle changes that catch your attention because of the starkness of the piece. I really like this take; the playing is expressive and beautiful. The fact that the structure was nearly identical to the original wasn't an issue. There was more than enough personalization here.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty good example of good interpretation while staying within the structure of the original. Could have been more daring in that regard, but no problems with the level of personalization you've already got. Nice performance, recording is good to go.

YES