Chrono Trigger - Ruins of Dome 16 ReMix

Robotaki

So I finally got FL Studio 8 and it's sooo much easier to work with. Came up with this lil "Manoria Cathedral"-esque remix but for the Ruins of Dome 16 source tune. This tune seems to be relatively untouched. (I think Beatdrop is the only other who has one on the site) It's really bare as of right now, but I'm just getting the ideas down and the overall feel; ?emptiness?. This section is not the beginning so don't expect a smooth entry lol. It's a tad repetitive right now, but you have to admit, the source tune itself is pretty repetitive :P haha, anyway, no excuses. I hope you enjoy it! This tid bit took way too long to make, I don't even know why. =/

*oh kudos to Skrypnyk for the piano effect trick he told me about a long long time ago haha.

SOURCE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsLMYG_-Mw

LINK:

Chrono Trigger - Dome 16 Ruins ReMix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments so far. I've been having a little trouble trying to get more of the source into the piece right now because the only aspect I've taken is the bass (and it was the bass line in the original that was the most striking to me when I first heard it) Any nifty ideas? So far I've tried raising the ostinato in higher registers but it doesn't sound appropriate. Thanks!

I like the sounds you've got so far. It's just that nothing is really jumping out at me. The source is so short and sort of mellow that I'm not really sure where you'd get it from. That driving shuffle feel is all bass and pads in the original. You'd have to improvise like a guitar solo over the top of it?

Bleh, if My Chrono Trigger weren't so hazy, I'd try to remember a piece that would compliment it and you can steal the melody from and use. Maybe the main theme?

Good so far, sorry I can't be more help :|

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! I'll definitely try the stuff you've mentioned and see how it turns out. Putting the main theme into this sounds like a good idea because the Dome 16 source isn't particularly memorable relative to the other huuuuge tunes. And sorry for the slowness. Apps and everything :( Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I am really stuck on this tune. I can't think of any way to work with it than what I've already done at the moment =/ I've tried incorporating Crono's Theme into it but it sounds too forced, especially when the key doesn't really change all that much throughout the piece. I added a very small section at the end but even that I'm not very happy with (the hats layer dropped off for the final patter too by accident -_-"). Pretty crappy way to start the break lol. Considering all I have is a bass line right now, would it be more beneficial to morph this into a remix for another game or just an original altogether? really stuck ><

link in first post is updated

you could try incorporating small parts of schala's theme into your mix it seems to fit in my opinion, the piano(was it a piano?) at the end was pretty nice maybe you could use more of that.

it's a pretty hard track to tackle, but so far your interpretation is really good, it has that nice cold winter atmosphere like tweek's mix http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01663/ maybe that might give you some ideas

hope i helped, i would like to see a finsihed version so keep up the work

I really enjoy where this is going. This was one of my favorite tunes from the game for the same reason why it's been so hard for you to work with: It's mellow and groovy. I'll encourage the same thought that some others have said, try to find another CT track that would be complimented by the bassline. I wouldn't look to any of the main themes for that, probably, they're too strong on their own.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; I'd hate it if you dropped this project. :)