OCR01793 - Adventures of Bayou Billy "El Lagarto"

djpretzel

Bwuhaha, another Bayou Billy mix! Sweet. Aw man, this mix brought a BIG smile to my face, and when that's involuntary it's a clear indication of great music. I also owned this game back in the day, so the nostalgia this brings out is great. Great musicianship, excellent production, sweet instrumentation, and I LOVE those timbales.

Might I also mention that there was one magical day in my youth where I got entirely in the zone and actually BEAT the game? So I do recognize both tunes referenced in there. :)

You'd better have saved the receipt!

Seemingly-non-sequiturial comments aside, I, for one, did not save the receipt for this little gem (figuratively speaking, of course).

It's a good, solid mix, and loads of fun to dance to; sure, it gets a tiny bit repetitive after a while, but when it's this much fun, who cares?

I guess this is another one of those pieces that proves that you don't have to enjoy a game to enjoy the ReMixes thereof.

it gets a tiny bit repetitive after a while, but when it's this much fun, who cares?

If it was repetitive, I couldn't notice it at all.

This remix. Just as it started, the first thing I thought of was Boney M (well, the 70s are beyond my time). Then.. Undercover Brother. And then... yes, Kill Bill was there.

That this piece reminds me of these bands/movies does not explain why it's a solid piece, but rather it is so awesomely alive, catchy, and fun that it causes me to think of other things I enjoy(ed).

muy caliente. :nicework:

This ReMix is hot, hot, hot! I was sold from the opening measure. The instruments are woven together masterfully yet have such independent energy and vibrance. Tastes like someone put hot sauce in this gumbo.

Buen provecho! Can we have some more, please?

This is not only instantly awesome, it gets better with each listen. Latin-funk-wahwah...whatever it is it's effing boss, and I never knew I needed it until now. It's like there's a party in my ears and all the belly dancers are invited. Even Shakira. I listen long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what the ultimate bayou barbecue sounds like. Billy's spending a day-long truce with his enemies, flippin' burgers, poppin' open fizzy beer bottles, tossin' horseshoes, breakdancing, crackin' jokes, AND battling alligators. Contagious, mind-blowing fun. It's probably due in large part to how the Latin brass and the wah guitar play off one another, blending and countering with blendmelodies and countermelodies alike. Of course, the other instruments (particularly the claps and drums) sound just as hot, even if they're not as prominent.

Superlative work.

• 3 months later...

Right from the get-go this song unapologetically pays homage to the source in a unique fashion that can only come from being taken from Bayou Billy. I always enjoyed the song on the Nintendo when I played this, closely followed by the jeep stage music... which, as a bonus, was also included in this, and the transition was pulled off very nicely. I'm not sure anyone not familiar with the music would be able to tell that it was actually a separate track... it sounds like more of a breakdown. Way to ninja that in there. And great job on the Santana-esque guitars towards the end. Sounded great.

Can't say enough good stuff about this track. It's got a permanent slot on my OCR playlist.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01793 - Adventures of Bayou Billy "El Lagarto"