Recommend some good Ska/Reggae/Jazz music

Toadofsky

Usually don't like making a new topic, especially since it revolves around me...

Okay, so in my quest to expand my music taste, I'm wanting to explore SKA, REGGAE, and JAZZ. I've already listened to some SKA, but, I'd like your guys' input on it.

SKA: Already know enough of NO DOUBT (I've always liked them, minus the Hey Baby Song, ugh)

Already know of Sublime, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, The Aquabats, Save Ferris, Five Iron Frenzy, and Reel Big Fish, as well as Madness (ONE STEP BEEYOOND!). Yeah, I may have more bases covered here...

Reggae: Kinda goes a little into Ska, A LITTLE. Listened to some Bob Marley, but not much.

Jazz: Minus The Mask soundtrack, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, I haven't really looked into much. But then again, that was more Swing than anything (maybe recommend some good Jazz "Swing" bands like BBVD?)

So, if you can recommend some good artists in those 3 genres, or a particular song you like from a band in those genres, please post about it.

And if this is flamebait worthy please, feel free to tear it apart...

Jazz: Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band.

YES! This guy writes great stuff for big band...and he's the lead arranger for the Disney parks so I hear. Great, great great. If you're looking for more small jazz combo stuff look for some Charles Mingus or John Coltrane...2 of my faves.

Ska-Reggae wise I like the Specials (but I'm not sure if they're Saka or Reggae...).

Ska: tsunami bomb, bim skala bim, the suicide machines, planet smashers, mighty mighty bosstones, the insyderz, B.O.B. (*if you like christian music at all), mephiskaphales, skatalites, OC supertones, Catch 22 (part of the band from streetlight manifesto),operation ivy, the specials, Big D and the kids table, Buck o Nine, fishbone, mad caddies, spunge, skankin pickle, the toasters, don drummond, Rancid (some albums more than others)

Reggae: The Expendables, Rebelution, Bob marley and the wailers, UB40, 311, Anyone that ends with the last name marley (there's a lot of them), The Ethiopians

Jazz: Herbie Hancock, the yellowjackets, after hours, the seatbelts(cowboy bebop music), Stevie Ray Vaughn (tin-pan alley), Santana (obviously), Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Thelonius Monk, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Red Nichols

On a related note almost all of the bands for ska and reggae cross over into each other one time or another, ska is essentially punk and reggae, and reggae could even be looked at as just slow ska with weed lol.

Hope this helps!!!:nicework:

Most of the ska mentioned here is Third-wave (Third-wave ska being the "punk and reggae" sort). I'd recommend a little first wave and 2-tone. I'd say start with The Skatalites and the Specials. A fun Reggae artist to check out is Augustus Pablo (he's a bit dub as well, but great if you're into melodica and keyboards.) Furthering the Keyboard thing, a great jazz artist to listen to is Sun Ra. He's an especially good choice if you're trying to open up your musical palette. So, to sum up (plus a few others I can think of).

-The Skatalites

-Toots and the Maytals

-Desmond Dekker

-The Specials

-Augustus Pablo

-Sun Ra

-Ornette Coleman

-Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

-Clifford Brown

That's some fun stuff outside of what's already been said (though I do love me some Third-wave and big band).

I was in a third wave ska/punk band for 3 years back in the day, looking back, we did a decent job in the midst of a genre that was filled with crappy ska bands, I think that's the reason ska kinda died down, left a bad taste in all our mouths, but there were some great bands (all have already been mentioned except "mu330" and the "Bruce Lee Band"). My favorites back in the day were Five Iron Frenzy, Less Than Jake, Save Ferris and Buck O Nine

Here's a track from our EP we put out back in 2000, band name was "Gimerstick" it was in that whole "christian" supertones/five iron frenzy sector

http://www.purelense.com/music/Gimerstick/EP/02-Gimerstick _ Country Boy.mp3

and here's the whole cd in a zip for anyone interested

http://www.purelense.com/music/Gimerstick/gimerstick_ep.zip

If you want jazz you cant go wrong with Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker.

If you want more of a blues style look up Sidney Bechet. As for swing....ya got me. If your really intrested in Jazz though, shoot me a PM and I'll give ya list of what I have.

Most of the ska mentioned here is Third-wave (Third-wave ska being the "punk and reggae" sort). I'd recommend a little first wave and 2-tone. I'd say start with The Skatalites and the Specials. A fun Reggae artist to check out is Augustus Pablo (he's a bit dub as well, but great if you're into melodica and keyboards.) Furthering the Keyboard thing, a great jazz artist to listen to is Sun Ra. He's an especially good choice if you're trying to open up your musical palette. So, to sum up (plus a few others I can think of).

-The Skatalites

-Toots and the Maytals

-Desmond Dekker

-The Specials

-Augustus Pablo

-Sun Ra

-Ornette Coleman

-Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

-Clifford Brown

That's some fun stuff outside of what's already been said (though I do love me some Third-wave and big band).

he's right you know

I just have a hard time getting into "rootsy" ska, mostly due to the fact that I really really really love third-wave

I can't stress the mad caddies enough btw