Mega Man 9 - Jewel Man

Lie Mf B

------ New version with new ending uploaded Jan 13 2009 ------

I'm surprised no one seems to have given this tune a shot. It's definitely one of the best in Mega Man 9, IMHO.

This one is sort of a semi-heavy 70s prog-rock version, I guess.

I'm not sure if I should keep the coda that starts around 2:29. It was kinda spontaneous. And it will probably not fade out when I'm finished with it.

http://www.update.uu.se/~lidbjork/dvd/LieMfB_-_MM9_Jewelman_mixdown_2009-01-13.mp3

Here is the source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCTauMvYH4

It sounds promising, but the mp3 you're linking to is only 2 seconds long.. Re-upload please! ^^

Edit: Ok, there it is. I like it! The end notes of the thing (0:57-1:00 in your track) was so sloppily played by me in my medley, kinda out of tune and just not sounding good. I thought about it right after I recorded it, but felt it was good enough. But that part is so much better in your version, so now I feel bad about it. :P Haha, and the ending is SOO 70s prog. It's cool though, not too draggy. :) YET! I don't know what your final plan for it is.

I personally think that the volume of the instruments aren't that well balanced. I had to listen to it on very low volume, and I had trouble hearing drums and the nuances because the guitars and solo keys were so high in the mix. Oh well, good work, now I'm going to listen to all your older stuff! ^^

I like the style. Though I wouldn't consider it semi-heavy 70's prog, probably more like early 70's prog. Because if I were to compare this to Heart of the Sunshine by Yes, this would definitely not be as heavy.

This is quite funky, and I like the take you have for it. So hey, nice job!

Needs some volume tho. XD

Oh yeah, I think this is got great interp, considering it severely deviates from the source. I can hear some Heart influence in that ending. You know the ending needs a bit of work. But hey I like it!

It's a pretty solid mix, the only thing i'll say is that the lead guitar isn't loud enough and the other guitar and bass sound too muffled. Keep in mind that i'm no mixer but I calls 'em as I's sees them.

But I can't wait till the full version comes out, heck if it released right now it would still be sweet.

It's got good stuff. It sounds so close. It's got one foot in acid rock, one foot in prog, and a third mutant foot dangling into early heavy metal.

I say go for Deep Purple. Make it crunchier. Right now it starts out a little light to go for the hazey dropout over the last half minute. Kinda loses the flow. You (as others put it) groove for 3 minutes, only to furrow your brow and realize you can't groove to a disjointed solo.

Those riffs around 1:48-2:08...those are what I personally love. Maybe I'm projecting my love for Sixto and Goat, but I wish those would be more of a wall of sound metal sound. You could slow it down some like you do around 2:20, go into the solo as you do now.

And yeah, I really agree with MarkShark. Your coda beats a weak fadeout, but not by much. It's absolutely too abrupt. End with a 6 second drum solo leading to a final note the guitars sustain on or something. The coda as-is sounds like a solo the band got tired of doing 4/5 of the way through.

Overall though massive props. My complaints are pretty much all of preference, not performance. Hadn't played MM9 yet; good song to pick, and good direction to take it.

Edit: Intro is a bit sudden too, as in "HEY HERE'S SONG!" Maybe clack drumsticks together for four beats, a couple quick snares, then have the guitar join in on a hi-hat. It might also make the groovy part around 0:27 more noticeable if you come on stronger in the intro. I know, I'm echoing "make things crunchier". I like crunchy, what can I say. If this sounded at parts more like Smoke on the Water, it wouldn't leave my rotation.

Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it.

Those riffs around 1:48-2:08...those are what I personally love. Maybe I'm projecting my love for Sixto and Goat, but I wish those would be more of a wall of sound metal sound. You could slow it down some like you do around 2:20, go into the solo as you do now.

Haha! I personally think it's part of my "niche" to not do metal, since so many people are already doing it, and many of them real well too. But that's a general statement; there's nothing wrong with mixing different styles. I'll think this over a bit more, but I don't wanna lose the vintage funk element of the song either.

And yeah, I really agree with MarkShark. Your coda beats a weak fadeout, but not by much. It's absolutely too abrupt. End with a 6 second drum solo leading to a final note the guitars sustain on or something. The coda as-is sounds like a solo the band got tired of doing 4/5 of the way through.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean here. Do you think the whole coda (starting at 2:29) feels abrupt, as it departs a little from the rest of the song. Or do you mean the coda ends too abruptly (at the end of the song, 3:22). In the latter case, let me stress that it is not finished in its current state. I'm planning to cut the coda in half and add an ending that has a little more in common with the rest of the song.

(On a side note, I think fade-outs are underrated on this forum, but I'm not fading this song out anyway.)

Edit: Intro is a bit sudden too, as in "HEY HERE'S SONG!" Maybe clack drumsticks together for four beats, a couple quick snares, then have the guitar join in on a hi-hat. It might also make the groovy part around 0:27 more noticeable if you come on stronger in the intro. I know, I'm echoing "make things crunchier". I like crunchy, what can I say. If this sounded at parts more like Smoke on the Water, it wouldn't leave my rotation.

You have a point there. I'm not totally satisfied with the intro. I'm usually too lazy with intros, as I can't wait to record the actual "verses", thinking I will do the intro later, but then I lose interest...yada yada yada. Anyway, I'm gonna add something there, preferably something slightly heavier.

I was talking about the VERY end, the last few notes, and you addressed it. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or just where you left off, so I mentioned it, but you are clearly on top of it, hehe.

And I get what you mean by vintage funk. I'm projecting my own interest in there. I love a little bit of heavy every so often as a change of pace. It doesn't need to be metal at all, I love how Evil Horde layers his instruments to create an incredible flood of awesome around 4:00 in his recent Adventures of Bayou Billy remix.

What are the influences on this remix, anyway? I was watching VH1's 100 greatest hard rock songs, and some of those bands pop into my mind, like Iron Butterfly, BOC, Foghat...hell even The Doors a bit. Whatever it is, it's under-done on the site, and really hope you keep at it. I dig it.

I think the only sound/artist I had in mind when I started this remix was Led Zeppelin. Their later songs like "Nobodys Fault But Mine" and "Achilles Last Stand" popped up in my head when I listened to the original Jewel Man. Aside from that, I just went with my usual funk style, as the original had some funky jangle during the chorus.

I've never listened to Iron Butterfly, but Blue Oyster Cult -- yeah, there's a lot of them in my music, I think -- and when you mention it, I guess this song has a little bit of Doors in it, with the organ, even though I haven't listened much to them either.

I'm about to upload a new version soon.

The extreme panning on the synthkeys might be a little too much to one side. For the most part this is very well put together, but I would try centralizing the keys a bit more. And cut back on the mids a bit as it gets a bit muddy there.

I like the stops, but I think that after each one there could be a bit more of a 'stop, build, stop build more' attitude to it. Eh, I'm just being picky there.

This is fun to listen to and I sincerely hope you continue with it.

Very interesting style; you don't hear it very often on here (Cream/Led here, while other songs of yours are like 'Firebird' from the Mahivishnue Orchestra'... if I spelled that right). Kudos to that.

I agree with Chicken on the panning. Too much for both sides. Center them a bit.

I don't agree with the mids quite as much, as the muddiness gives it a more authentic flavor, making it feel more like an older 70's style hard rock song. However, I believe that the J's will agree with Chicken, so if your shooting for OC, then tweak them a bit.

The ending... finish this please, I want to hear more :P (but you know that already :))

Otherwise, very nice. We need some stuff like this on OC; I hope to see it finished and posted.

Thanks for your reply -- I'm happy so many people seems to dig this! Getting compared to the Mahavishnu Orchestra is a major compliment in my view. I'll check "Firebird" out. :)

I now have a new version with a decent ending, here. It's pretty much finished now, except for minor tweaks, unless I (or you) come up with some really good ideas.

I agree that the organ is panned a bit much, but I still wanna keep it "out of the way" as to not clutter the mix. I've noticed that I prefer more extreme panning than most people do, but I'll think it over once more.

As for the "muddy" mix ... this is one of my clearest sounding songs as of late. ;)

I don't plan to submit it to OCR quite yet; but I might try later (after my whole album is done).

Oh HELL yes, ridiculously good ending. You pull out an absolutely sick series of hooks between 3:04-3:25 that cements it. Intro is better, but I still ache for more. The up-tempo snares seem like a rough fit considering the rest of the groove (and damn is it groovalicious), and the multi-basses seem rather exposed without the guitars or organs accompanying.

I don't really pick up on any panning problem.

The arrangement is highly creative, the majority of the instruments sound pristine (first few notes are still bugging me), the theme is rarely traversed, and it's finally all flowing together to the same objective on the same beat. I'd say it's got a good chance to get passed as is, or at least a resub (fix minor things).

Bravo, I was listening to the last version at least once a day, I don't know when I'll end up putting this version down. Memorable goddamn song.

Thanks again! I'm pleasantly surprised by your extremely positive reactions. I still wasn't sure about the ending, but yeah, I guess it's ok.

Thanks for reminding me about the intro; I agree that it's not quite up to snatch. I got a new update on the way, in which I've simply deleted the drums and some bass in the very beginning, which makes it more relaxed. I might not post another WIP, but I'll definitely wave my flags when the album is done.

Thanks yet again for listening and appreciation!