Suggestions on the PS3

Schwaltzvald

I agree with SGX. Both consoles have a solid lineup of exclusives. Remember that the 360 has been out a whole 1.5 years more than the PS3, too. And please end this fanboy war. This isn't gamefaqs, and this isn't a place to say "you made a bad decision". Considering the fact that he seems to have a good PC, the PS3 seems to be the right choice, seeing that Fable 2 and Gears 2 are bound to land on PC eventually, just like Mass Effect, Fable 1, and Gear 1.

In terms of exclusives, try MGS4 and Little Big Planet. I think those two are the best the PS3 has to offer right now. You can't go wrong with Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, or Folklore either.

Plus there's a ton of multi console stuff. Try Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, or Burnout Paradise.

And if you like RPGs, you should do yourself a favor and buy a PSP or DS.

Anyway! I loved LittleBigPlanet. It's quite unique, and there is always something new to play. Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. Download the demo from PSN and try it. Resistance 2 got lost in te Gears 2 hype, but it's really a great (FPS)game. Fallout 3 is a given if you like that type of game. Wipeout HD is my current obbsession. Megaman 9 if you like the concept. Bioshock is also good. And MGS4 if you like the series.

Personally, I despised Resistance. It rubbed off as unpolished graphically (either that or it's indicative of the PS3's abilities, which I kinda doubt is the case), and the Chameleon is such a lame enemy with their almost perfect camouflage & with only audio cues as the way to detect them - as if we needed another enemy that can kill you in one hit like those invisible beam sword Elites from Halo 2.

Unfortunately, the PS3 has become the defacto FPS console of this generation (mostly at Sony's behest).

If you're looking for RPGs (VC, Disgaea notwithstanding), the 360 was the system to choose.

What what?!?!?!?

Theres only 2 good RPG's on the 360 PS3 and they've both been ported to the PS3 as well. Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Get yourself Little Big Planet, Mega Man 9, and Deadspace. Drakes Fortune was an amazing adventure game though.

You want RPG's stick to the PC.

What what?!?!?!?

Theres only 2 good RPG's on the 360 PS3 and they've both been ported to the PS3 as well. Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Get yourself Little Big Planet, Mega Man 9, and Deadspace. Drakes Fortune was an amazing adventure game though.

You want RPG's stick to the PC.

What about the Final Fantasy Series, I think 13 comes out next fall. I'm looking forward to it. It will be ported on 360 and PS3.

RPG's stick to the PC.

FPS for the PC actually... No way a controller would be able to match up to the good ole keyboard and mouse when it comes to them imo. :lol: Not to mention the only RPG that I can speak of on the PC I'd recommend having is Fallout 3. (started a Fallout 3 on the PC thread a while back)

Also Bahamut just peaked my interest in Resistance, something about a nice challenge like that interests me...

I'm just gonna settle with the PS3, exclusive or not, that hardly matters to me since I have a PC that is capable of playing any PC ports; in fact multiplatform is for once a good sign for some games...

Like Beyond Good & Evil 2...

FPS for the PC actually... No way a controller would be able to match up to the good ole keyboard and mouse when it comes to them imo. :lol: Not to mention the only RPG that I can speak of on the PC I'd recommend having is Fallout 3. (started a Fallout 3 on the PC thread a while back)

Also Bahamut just peaked my interest in Resistance, something about a nice challenge like that interests me...

I'm just gonna settle with the PS3, exclusive or not, that hardly matters to me since I have a PC that is capable of playing any PC ports; in fact multiplatform is for once a good sign for some games...

Like Beyond Good & Evil 2...

They're making a BG&E 2?

They're making a BG&E 2?

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=axuelTeEtLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_%26_Evil_2

YEP

However

According to the Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot, Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be made more appealing to casual gamers than the original game, which had more core gamers, trying to make sure the sequel does not suffer the same commercial failure the original did. ~ Wikipedia

If RPGs are your primary concern, get a cheap PS2 and enjoy the enormous catalogue of low price RPGs to be had. The 360 and PS3 may have a few good RPGs each, but PS2 is still the undisputed king in that arena. It's still hard to tell which of the current gen consoles will be the RPG gamer's best friend.

As an owner of both, I get far more use from the 360. Most major titles are multiplatform, and the 360 has many more exclusives that interest me personally. But every now and then, a Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4 or LittleBigPlanet will come out and make me very happy to have that PS3 around. And if you're interested in BluRay movies, that's another factor to consider.

Obviously, it's up to you to decide which current gen console will treat you best. But if you're only in it for the RPGs, the PS2 will hold that throne for a looooong time.

Good PS3 games?

Uncharted

MGS4

Little Big Planet

Gran Turismo 5

Resistance 1&2 (I know you prefer PC for FPS games, but they're still fun)

Echochrome

Ratchet & Clank

Siren: Blood Curse

Valkyria Chronicles

Didn't bother listing multi-platform stuff since you're probably familiar with them and any worth playing are generally as good on the PS3 as the 360.

PS3 isn't the gaming system it would have you believe it is. I honestly believe you will regret purchasing it. No matter the type of game you're interested in, you're much better off with Xbox 360.

Honestly, I have to disagree. As far as exclusives, I could only stand to play both Gears, Dead Rising and Mass Effect. The latter is on the PC, and the others aren't worth buying the console for by themselves. If it weren't for the (slightly) lower price, mishandled PS3 launch, mindless fervor of Halo fans, and better multi-platform support early on, I think the 360 would be a dead duck right now.

According to the Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot, Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be made more appealing to casual gamers than the original game, which had more core gamers, trying to make sure the sequel does not suffer the same commercial failure the original did. ~ Wikipedia

Eh? BGaE was for hardcore gamers?! That game was so easy! (and _short_.)

@_@

But then again, I guess we can be glad that they ARE making a sequel. In this digital day and age, AND with a flop of a first game, it's a gamble enough to make a sequel to it.

If RPGs are your primary concern, get a cheap PS2 and enjoy the enormous catalogue of low price RPGs to be had.

I actually have the PS2 as well, even made a Persona 4 thread as well as made a couple of posts requesting some games for the PS2 on the Sell/Buy thread, though I don't think I ever gotten an answer to it. I have the original Siren game on the PS2, and loved it. Was pissed they didn't release Siren 2 to the United States. My PS2 library is rather extensive with rpgs and action games.

In fact I'm one of those guys that throughout his life, owned a nice number of consoles. Not all of them nor all the novelty peripherals, but still a nice sum.

Just bought myself a copy of Valkyrie Chronicles and so all that's left for me to do is wait till I can get the console.

Again thanks for all the information :D

It will be ported on 360 and PS3.

incorrect - they're not 'porting' it at all. actually, they're building it for both systems simultaneously. there is a difference, albeit a slight one. it'll hopefully prevent the issues that you get when it's built for one system and it comes to a different one after release.

Spare yourself any heartache and do not buy the Disgaea game for the PS3. I saw it being played by a game-maniac I know, and it looked like a Playstation 1 game. It's just not excusable for a PS3 title. I liked what little I saw of the new Tomb Raider (though it's available for 360) game and the Drake Fortune game though.

Spare yourself any heartache and do not buy the Disgaea game for the PS3. I saw it being played by a game-maniac I know, and it looked like a Playstation 1 game. It's just not excusable for a PS3 title.

If the game's fun then why should it matter how it looks? If it was a downloadable game you probably wouldn't complain. It is cheaper than other full titles as well.

I find this infuriating.

Fallout 3 is an absolute must. Definitely a very nonlinear RPG, but it's so open ended that you honest to God can play it over and over, choosing different dialogue options, and get an entirely different game. There is some credence to be given to the accusation that it's post-apocolyptic Elder Scrolls. Most of the control schemes, actions, and methods of character/world interaction were lifted directly from Elder Scrolls, but just because it plays the same way doesn't mean it's that alike. Just get it.

On that note, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is amazing as well, although I haven't played it nearly so much as Fallout 3. I bought it several months ago and decided it was awesome, but I was tired of swords and sorcery at the time, which is probably why Fallout 3 fits me so well.

EDIT: Since everyone bitches about the load times, it's worth noting that I've never found the loads in Oblivion or Fallout for PS3 to be over the top at ALL. The bullshit about loads making these games 'unplayable' is precisely that. I prefer these types of games on a console because they're guaranteed to play at full graphical quality without fucking up, and I don't have to tack 300 onto the price of the game for a new video card. Both Elder Scrolls and Oblivion for PS3 average about 8 seconds load time for a new area, if even that. You're really not gonna do much better than 8 seconds for an area load unless you're running a $2000+ PC. I never minded load times anyways, I have to drink my beer sometime. If you don't have time to wait around for an 8 second load, you probably have much more important things to do than play the game in the first place.

Oh please, now this is a PC version vs console version thread? Jesus. He already said he prefers the PC version of those games.

And my 2 cents: Load times in Oblivion are excessive when you're in cities and you're constantly going in and out of buildings. I have no problem with load times, but when it happens every minute because of poor memory caching, it really weighs you down. And $300 to run the game smoothly? Please. I've heard this a million times, and it's not true. You can get a solid videocard for less than $150. The PC versions of Fallout 3 and Oblivion are far superior because of mods. End of story.