Keyboard/MIDI Controller Recommendations

Hey everyone!

I'm currently looking for an inexpensive MIDI Controller, as I've come to realize that mouse-based note entry is contributing to two of my biggest compositional problems: mechanical playback and general compositional fatigue.

I've been looking around at some options already, but nothing has really grabbed my attention yet. This is what I'm looking for:

- Inexpensive. I'd really rather not spend more than $100, but that's not looking like an option. Cheaper it is better.

- Small. I can't stress this enough. I don't have room for a full-size or even a half size keyboard. I barely have room for my equipment as it is very I don't really need more than a couple octaves to work with. Ideally, I'd like something with micro-keys rather than full-sized keys, but I haven't seen anything like that on the market. I know Korg used to make keyboards with micro-keys, but the only thing I've seen from them recently is their vocoder. That's really too much machine for what I'm trying to do.

- Semi-weighted keys would be preferable, but unweighted keys would not be a dealbreaker if everything else is just right.

When it comes down to it, all I really need in a controller is 20-30 keys, a mod wheel, and MIDI Out. Did you ever have one of those tiny little Casio keyboards as a kid? Something that size would be perfect, but I haven't seen anything in that size that's MIDI-capable.

Is there something out there like this, and I just haven't found it yet?

Thanks!

M-Audio Axiom 25?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408389-REG/M_Audio_9900_51411_10_Axiom_25_USB_MIDI_Keyboard.html

About 140 bucks there; no tax (unless NY) and free shipping. I have the 61 key version, and it's great! (Except for the buggy pitch bend wheel :?)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, forgot about the Oxygen that the above poster suggested (I didn't think it had a mod wheel). That one is even cheaper.

Double Edit: Just noticed you said you would prefer semi-weighted keys; Axiom 25 is semi-weighted.

Thanks for the help, everyone! The Oxygen seems to be the smallest of the true keyboards that I've found, but I think I'm favoring the Axiom 25 for its semi-weighted keys.

Does anyone have any experience with the Korg NanoKEYS? Reviews seem to be mixed. Either it's the greatest thing since equal temperament, or else it's a piece of garbage. I'd love to hear some thoughts if anyone has one/has worked with one.

I still don't really think it's "semi-weighted" to me it just seems like synth action with a keys that look like they aren't hollow. (I have an Axiom 61), so unless you've tried semi-weighted, then don't make that your deciding factor. I would have been just as happy with unweighted keys.

^^^ I've ranted about this several times before, the only way to know the action of a keyboard is to play it. Terms like "synth action" and "semi-weighted" don't really tell you anything. For example, the "synth action" on a Moog Voyager is a world apart from the "synth action" of a cheap E-MU controller.

And it's subjective as well; some people like longer throws, some like shorter throws. Some people like more resistance, some people like less. Some people like more weight, some people like less. So see if you can get to a retailer and try them out to see which you prefer.

If it's your first keyboard and it's just for note input then it shouldn't make a huge difference overall unless you're a concert pianist or something. I thought not having hammer action would bother me, but it doesn't at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

I still don't really think it's "semi-weighted" to me it just seems like synth action with a keys that look like they aren't hollow. (I have an Axiom 61), so unless you've tried semi-weighted, then don't make that your deciding factor. I would have been just as happy with unweighted keys.

The Axiom line is definitely semi-weighted. Not the best semi-weighted action ever, but it's definitely got more weight to it than a synth-action keyboard.

I use the CME UF8.

88 weighted keys, aftertouch, mod wheel, pitch bend, several interface controls, USB input, and it includes an expression pedal input in addition to your standard sustain pedal input.

And if you had read the first post instead of just the thread title, you'd know what a completely useless reply that is.

Glad you're always here to help.

Never quit being who you are, Analoq.

CME's UF and, I believe, VX series Keyboards come in varying key lengths. As far as price goes, that's entirely subjective--we all want keyboards for $100, but in the end we want keyboards that function the way we want/need them to and that is more often than not prioritized over price.

CME is distributed via Yamaha, so it MAY be found at your local large-retail-outlet to try out for yourself, and like I said, the variety of available controllers is large.

You, however, Analoq, are thankfully, one-of-a-kind.

I was wondering this myself. I need a good controller too. Though I dont think I need more than a 25 key controller. More would be good.

I have another question for this thread. What's a great card to plug it into? Someone made a great recommendation before in another thread but I can't seem to find it.