Rant alert: game saves this gen suck!

SwordBreaker

I like memory cards.

BTW in Culdcept Saga you can give another player a deck of cards with help from a memory card and putting your Gamer Profile on a Memory Unit doesn't hurt anyone and makes it possible to always be able to log in to your profile when palying say a VS. beat 'em up at a friends.

I wish current gen developers would do something more radical with savegames though.. Like, when a game spawns multiple sequels! Make it possible to import old save game data from previous games for extra content such as gamerpics, in-game stuff or such. This would especially be cool for games such as Culdcept Saga or Enchanted Arms with the "collection" aspect!

MOAR INTERCONNECTABILTIY-MAJIGS!

I get game saves off the net all the time on my PS3, not sure what your issue is being caused by. I do know it's important to have the folder structure correct, you can't just copy the save file alone. Dunno if that's your deal, and it sounds like it isn't, but just thought I'd add that. I forget exactly what it is but just try to pull a game save off gamefaqs.com or something, you'll learn.

And I'm genuinely sorry for PS3 owners in that regard, because I keep hearing epic save-data-deletes from a lot of buggy PS3 games. Seriously, is it really THAT hard to program for the PS3? It's like with every other PS3 game, there's graphical glitches, online problems and save-game-deletion.

I also don't know what you're talking about either. The only issue I've ever heard about in the media regarding game save corruption on the PS3 is an obscure LittleBigPlanet glitch that only occurs if you're trying to overfill your save data, which really is virtually impossible unless you're intent on doing it by saving all of the horrible and craptastic items people make in their user-made levels.

I don't think the issues you are referring to are nearly as widespread or common as you think. While I've seen this LBP glitch on Kotaku and other places, I don't know anyone that has experienced it.

Graphical glitches and online problems? Gotta be honest, I'm not going to even touch that because it'll just start a flame war, but as a current-gen owner I've not seen any real differences in graphical glitches and online problems across all 3 platforms (exception being Super Smash Bros Brawl, whose online mode is beyond horrible).

This is honestly the first I've heard about people having save game deletion problems on the PS3. I've never lost a save file, and I haven't heard of this just happening let alone being a frequent problem for many users.

No apparent rhyme or reason why it happened, but it sure did. I was about 16 hours into Rule of Rose. Fired her up one day and all my saved data for that game vanished. I was pissed... didn't even bother starting a new game until a about a year later. Glad I did, though.

I also don't know what you're talking about either. The only issue I've ever heard about in the media regarding game save corruption on the PS3 is an obscure LittleBigPlanet glitch that only occurs if you're trying to overfill your save data, which really is virtually impossible unless you're intent on doing it by saving all of the horrible and craptastic items people make in their user-made levels.

I don't think the issues you are referring to are nearly as widespread or common as you think. While I've seen this LBP glitch on Kotaku and other places, I don't know anyone that has experienced it.

Graphical glitches and online problems? Gotta be honest, I'm not going to even touch that because it'll just start a flame war, but as a current-gen owner I've not seen any real differences in graphical glitches and online problems across all 3 platforms (exception being Super Smash Bros Brawl, whose online mode is beyond horrible).

That's only from what I've been hearing. 360 has its share of buggy games, but I just keep hearing more about the PS3 ones. LBP one is just one little example of it. Then there's the Fallout 3 bugs (which has since been stealth-patched. Maybe the 360 one too, since I can't get stuck in bushes anymore it seems).

Strictly speaking of memory problems, that usually falls into the category for the 360 where people switch Game IDs. As for the PS3, there's some truly infamous ones like Motorstorm game save corrupter. I'm pretty sure they have fixed it by now, but that was a big one.

Memory cards can be good and bad. They are obviously on the way out, and I think a lot of developers didn't like them just for the fact that as you pointed out in your first post, too many people were just "taking their saves over to a friend's house to unlock everything." It was just too easy, I guess. (but awesome for people like me and you, who seriously don't want to have to waste hours of unlocking stuff to fully enjoy the $50-60 game we just purchased)

As far as I know, the Wii can do this the easiest, however you have to figure out which game is which in the cleverly-named "private" directory on your SD card, make a new directory with a specific 4-character name, and then copy it over to your Wii's HD. I download game saves from GameFAQs all the time and do this method. It's pretty simple.

There are plenty of popular, high-selling Wii games that will just *NOT* let you back up your Wii save using normal methods. (There are workarounds for these, however, but require modding/homebrew software of some sort) And I'm pretty sure the reason for this is due to your game save being attached to your internet profile or Wii Friend Codes. Any game that doesn't let you copy over your Save file has internet-related options in some form, and there is something on that save which prevents Nintendo or other companies from allowing others with the same game to use the exact same save file. (granted, they could have easily split whatever keeps people from backing up and the allowable data into two separate save files, but I guess that would have been "too easy," right? -_-;)

I'm thankful the Wii's memory card/SD system works the way it does, otherwise I wouldn't have had to sit through all the lame bullshit it takes to unlock all those art galleries, music and 4 (oooh) hidden characters in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom...

The worst thing about the "memory card era" was the unreliability of third-party cards. I lost so much progress because of third-party memory cards that would randomly wipe themselves out.

That happened to me on my gamecube. I was using a 3rd party card that worked fine for several months, but then just corrupted itself. Goodbye Melee, Metroid Primes, and worst of all, 60+ hours of Baten Kaitos. I still haven't sat down and tried to play that game again, just because of how much effort I out into it the first time. Oh, and I lost my Skies of Arcadia data too.

I got a new Nintendo one, and haven't had any problems with it.

That happened to me on my gamecube. I was using a 3rd party card that worked fine for several months, but then just corrupted itself. Goodbye Melee, Metroid Primes, and worst of all, 60+ hours of Baten Kaitos. I still haven't sat down and tried to play that game again, just because of how much effort I out into it the first time. Oh, and I lost my Skies of Arcadia data too.

I got a new Nintendo one, and haven't had any problems with it.

The EXACT same thing happened to me (including the exact same games) :?

• 1 month later...
Memory cards are stupid. Especially when they replace having an actually effective hard drive. I say it's about damn time memory cards were forgotten.

You're stupid. The only way me and my friends can get together and play rock band or guitar hero or other games is if we all meet at their house, you know, real life friends. So obviously we have to have a way to transport our data. Easiest way to transfer band data without having to pay for XBL just to play with people that live near you.

You're stupid. The only way me and my friends can get together and play rock band or guitar hero or other games is if we all meet at their house, you know, real life friends. So obviously we have to have a way to transport our data. Easiest way to transfer band data without having to pay for XBL just to play with people that live near you.

SHH! Don't poke the troll. He's just trying to get the attention his parents never gave him.

I've always found it an interesting concept that videogames are one media where when you purchase it, you don't automatically get everything included. For example, DVD's you can easily skip from scene to scene whenever you like, pause, rewind, you don't need to watch the first scene to "Unlock" the second one, nor do you have to watch the movie through to gain access to the bonus features. Cd's can be skipped to any song on the disc at will. However videogames must be painstakingly progressed through, bit by bit. The game developers go to lengths to prevent you from getting to places you haven't "earned" access to. If you buy the game and you really want to play level 3, why can't you just play level 3? Sure it might ruin the flow of the game, but if you don't want to ruin it, then JUST DON'T DO IT! It's obviously nice to have unlocks as an incentive to do things, and I'm not saying I'd have it any other way, I just found it to be an odd concept.

TL;DR You payed for the game, why do you have to unlock levels and things.

I had a PS1 DexDrive, kind of late in the game though, but I bought it so I could back up all my old PS1 saves. I had a similar device for PS2 called SharkPort. For the N64, and this was after the Gamecube came out, I believe, my brother bought an N64-USB adapter online called the Adaptoid for using N64 controllers on a PC. The software for it had the additional function of being able to manage save files from the memory card.