phijayy - Day of Despair (Sonic Advance 3/Chaos Angel Remix)

PhiJayy

I haven't posted in the wips in awhile.

My brother and I was playing Sonic Advance 3 awhile back in versus mode...and we really digged the music from Chaos Angel. Kinda reminds of Star Wars though for some reason I don't know why.

Anyway the first stage/act of Chaos Angel is very fast paced, upbeat, and still sort of gloomy. Like it's the end of the world or something.

We really wanted to enhance the "quality" of the original GBA version, to more of theatrical kinda feel....with some electronic elements. You know to give you the "WOW" this is awesome feeling. Hopefully it will. :D

So.........

Here it is....the remix isn't finished yet, but I think we've gotten pretty far already. Of course we're gonna bring everything to a closing climax. Probably polish some areas also.

1st Remix_wip: http://phijayy.com/music/day%20of%20despair%20-chaos%20angel%20remix.mp3

I hope you enjoy it as much as we had fun remixing it.

You might wanna listen to the original version first.

Original GBA Version: http://www.soahcity.com/music/2004_sonic_advance3/36_-_Chaos_Angel_Act_1.zip

Don't hold back constructive criticism....we can take it.

UPDATE

2nd Remix_wip: http://phijayy.com/day%20of%20despair%20-%20chaos%20angel%20remix.mp3

3rd Remix_wip: http://www.phijayy.com/day%20of%20despair%20-%20chaos%20angel%20remix_3.mp3

Yes! Someone finally did this song! I love Chaos Angel, I was gunna mix it ¬___¬ - you beat me to it! I agree with Tarnish actually, 1:25 is pretty sweet. I didn't like the beginning much, it dragged on a bit without changing much- the strings sound a bit harsh in my opinion when they come in first time. But yeah, I like the style too, and the modulation bits you put in here and there.

I'm looking forward to the update ^^

UPDATE

2nd Remix_wip: http://phijayy.com/day%20of%20despair%20-%20chaos%20angel%20remix.mp3

Personally I find this version to sound a lot better than the first. Check it out post a comment, or whatnot. We've thrown some more electronic elements in there too. :D

Pretty cool.

As always....Don't hold back constructive criticism....we can take it.

Yes! Someone finally did this song!

Yeah a whole bunch of guys on youtube wanted a remix of this so well here it is!

I love Chaos Angel, I was gunna mix it ¬___¬ - you beat me to it!

lol...whoops! Go ahead and remix it. I'd like to hear more remixes of Chaos Angel anyway.

Surprised no1 replied here yet. Neat remix there. I like the instruments you use, but for some reason I don't really like the intro. Dunno exactly why, I just don't like how it goes. But the part after 1:25 is really cool, I could listen to it all day. :P Can't really say anything else, but looking forward to the next update.

Thanks! I've touched up the intro a lot, sounds much better.

Hmm, well, to be honest, I found the first version better. The intro is still not very to my liking, maybe because of the repetitive piano at the begininng. And I also think that new high synth or what you put in from 0:50 is redundant, the song was better and more enjoyable without it. Sounds a bit too crowded now with it imo and attracts the listeners attention too much..I would stick to what you had for the first time, at least regarding from 0:50 to 2:00, that's golden the way you made it for the first time.

You're decision tho, others may find the newer version better. But I personally will be listening to the first version more often.

Hmm...I've been waiting for someone else to post and agree with you, but it seems like I won't be getting anymore feedback. For the most part I agree with your comment, except for the synth part. Too become redundant I believe it would have to be constantly playing through the whole track which it isn't.

I've posted a third wip up now...which I think is the closes to completion. Also regarding 0:50 to 2:00, the third wip sounds much like the 1st one.

Also reverb (too much reverb) has been taken away from the overall mix.

If you choose to stick with the first thats fine with me. :)

http://www.phijayy.com/day%20of%20despair%20-%20chaos%20angel%20remix_3.mp3

I much prefer the newest one. Much better progression and build up in my opinion. I think I just want more towards the end- it just kinda, well, ends. It sounds alot better in my opinion anyway. You've made the beginning alot better. Any more updates? Looking forward to them!

(oh and I may still mix it, thinking about it, heh heh)

I'm glad you like it...and thanks for the feedback.

Yep! I think I'll post just one more update...but that will probably be it though.

I'll focus on the ending a little bit more I guess.

I've posted the remix on two other sites...and so far people are saying that it's a pretty solid mix. So I may be submitting very soon.

If anyone objects speak now! :)

Let me know when you've got a remix going. I'd like to hear someone else' interpretation of it.

This is really collaboration effort between my brother and I so I hate using the word "I" so much. :<

I've been watching this thread trying to find some way to decently criticize it. I don't have much.

I've notice with each version that there's a definitely improvement in quality, but where the style goes isn't quite to my fancy. That's just me though.

Like the part at starting at 2:25 that ends in the 2:30s, it sounded cleaner in later versions, and the opening is handled better after the first version.

One thing that's been bugging me this entire time is that it sounds like there's an off key piano note at around 2:10. Is it suppose to be there?

There's definitely nothing wrong with the source tune; I regard it as one of the best in the Sonic series (which is nice considering how all-over-the-place the Sonic soundtracks can get). It's a lovely techno arrangement with just the right amount of chip to it.

However, I think your instruments are a bit on the harsh side. I don't know if that comes with the genre, or if it's only my sound system. Most of the piano parts feel that way to me. On top of that, the parts of the song that have a clam moment to them are a bit turned down by an unusual increase in the drum beat (a little after the 0:40 area before it picks back up is a good example).

It might just be my opinion, but a little softening will make this already good song even more pleasant on the ears.

appreciate all the comments guys. good or bad....well actually none of it is bad.

In a nutshell I consider this remix to be a little on the crazy side. Can't really classify it myself, because the source tune is really crazy to begin with.

But as I said before I'm currently working on one more final update...I'm not gonna change much from the third version, mainly because I think it's better than the last two.

me apologize Tarnish...

One thing that's been bugging me this entire time is that it sounds like there's an off key piano note at around 2:10. Is it suppose to be there?

Really?? What's up with that? I'll look into it.

Also M.W after listening to it again, I agree the piano does sound a bit on the harsh side. I'll fix that.

After listening to the source a bit, and then yours several times, I'm having a hard time coming up with things to criticize...

1:50-2:02 This transition feels unnatural. (something about how everything suddenly pops back into focus, so to speak) May be fixed by a more gradual coming back? Not too sure here.

2:09 speed up: Sounds good, but to me that fast bass drum gets a little bit too busy. Matter of opinion though.

3:48 maybe some dynamics to help this bit along the build to the change at 4:14? It's fine as is too. Just a thought.

5:03 Transition again.

I'd say it's repetitive, and it is. But for whatever reason it doesn't bother me, doesn't get old or make me bored. I guess iz ok.

I'm not a fan of the open hi-hat sound you've chosen. (Actually, the more I listen, the less I like it) It just grates to me and sounds very bland. Layer it with another flavor of hat or 2 to give it some feeling and tone it down some. (I'm not very familiar with FL)

At the end, rather than just the one key echo, It might be cool to do the pattern at the beginning and fade it out? Just a thought.

That's all I got, hope this helps

-he

After listening to the source a bit, and then yours several times, I'm having a hard time coming up with things to criticize...

1:50-2:02 This transition feels unnatural. (something about how everything suddenly pops back into focus, so to speak) May be fixed by a more gradual coming back? Not too sure here.

2:09 speed up: Sounds good, but to me that fast bass drum gets a little bit too busy. Matter of opinion though.

3:48 maybe some dynamics to help this bit along the build to the change at 4:14? It's fine as is too. Just a thought.

5:03 Transition again.

I'd say it's repetitive, and it is. But for whatever reason it doesn't bother me, doesn't get old or make me bored. I guess iz ok.

I'm not a fan of the open hi-hat sound you've chosen. (Actually, the more I listen, the less I like it) It just grates to me and sounds very bland. Layer it with another flavor of hat or 2 to give it some feeling and tone it down some. (I'm not very familiar with FL)

At the end, rather than just the one key echo, It might be cool to do the pattern at the beginning and fade it out? Just a thought.

That's all I got, hope this helps

-he

I appreciate the feedback. Like how you sort of broke things down. I'll post fourth update soon.

• 1 month later...