Soul Blazer - Ode to Lisa Remix by Doni

Doni

Hey all

So I did a remix for the track "Ode to Lisa" by Yukihide Takekawa and Kazz Toyama featured in the game Soul Blazer by Enix released on the SNES. It was more of a awesome-ization than a remix, although I did change some notes and add some other effects and different instruments so I think it qualifies. Anyways the song pops into my head alot, since I havn't played the game in over 10 years I think thats saying something (and it was never something I listened to outside the context of the game, and it was not a song they played very often in the game)

anyways I would hear what you guys think about it... I submitted it to be featured on the site here but I had no idea how backlogged the queue was!! Anyways please listen to the original (youtube video) and my remix (a regular old link) below

Original Version

My version

Ode to Lisa - Doni remix

Enjoy, please let me know what you think :)

hey man awesome song choice! i loved this song as a kid and when it comes on my mp3 player now, i love it just as much. i love the music on OCremix (it takes up a 3rd of my mp3 player), and i'm new to posting and am not a musician or a composer by any means, but i just had t o post on this one...

the main melody in the backround, not the flute, keyboard, or baseline, but the air/synthetic melody throughout, sounds like it has to much echo or reverb or something. i thing that everything has a little to much echo, and when everything comes together at 0:40, it just seems like to much... maybe if the sound quality could be tightened it would help out... i can never tell what instruments are real or off a cpu.

like i said i'm not a musician or as technical as i would like, just throwing it out there. i love it when people choose classics to remix like this one, and i LOVE the title 'ode to lisa' it really ties it together for me. the title for the song i downloaded off the soundtrack was 'koibito no inaiyoru' i don't know if that just the japanese title, or if the english one is just 'ending' but there it is... when i hear people mix songs like this it makes me wanna try it out for myself... let me know if it this helped, and keep at it!

hey brothersum, thanks for listening and giving feed back... isn't it an awesome song

there is a bit of reverb or echo on all the instruments, it's possible that it could sound like there is more depending on what you are listening on (I've tested the song on some junk ear buds, my tv, my KRK rokit 5 monitors, and senheiser DJ headphones and in my toyota matrix)... so what are you listening on??

I was going for an explosion of sound when it all comes together, I found that the sounds harmonized together well.. actually I hadn't heard the original version in a long time so I was going for a sound that I had sort of created in my head.. weird right

but I do think that the sounds melt a bit too much into the chorus.... the instruments are violins (a few diff kinds), flutes, bass, and a clarinette.. and they are all synths hahah I cant play anything but the drums and the sax (although my sax is poor.. yes my SAX is poor)

I've been producing music for....7 years now I think but I can say its much easier to learn when you are working off a song you already know... give it a try!

I'm going to go ahead and ditto brothersum on the reverb. The entire remix sounds like it's been recorded at the bottom of a well. At first, I thought perhaps you were going a different place with this remix, using the heavy reverb as a sort of envelope to separate and accentuate the original music before you began to interpret it. But in the end, there isn't a lot of new interpretation here.

And that brings us to the bigger problem: it's very, very close to the source material. So close, in fact, that it sounds like you took a MIDI file of the original, changed some of the synths, and just recorded it as is. Even if you composed this from memory, you really haven't added anything to this piece. If you're planning to submit this to OCR, you really need to break away from the established arrangement and do something more with this.

Good luck with it. It's a great piece, and a worthy effort. I'd definitely like to hear it again after you've done more work on it.

I have to say I always wanted to hear someone try to do a remix of this song, great choice, soulblazer was always one of my favorites on the snes. I really like what you've done quality wise, it sounds like a touched-up, modernized version of the original.

Definitely not different enough from the original to become an OCRemix, but it was still great to listen to. I'd be curious to hear more although this to me sounds more like a remake rather than a remix, would need to really change things up if you were leaning in the direction of actually submitting eventually.

So close, in fact, that it sounds like you took a MIDI file of the original, changed some of the synths, and just recorded it as is. Even if you composed this from memory, you really haven't added anything to this piece
Yea, I know, but I even said this in my original post... its more of a rework than a remix. It's a tribute to the original arrangement... I just gave it my own flavor. To be fair, I did modify and add some parts but most of the original melody stayed

About the reverb, I'd really like to know what you guys are listening on because I don't think there are excessive amounts, perhaps its an opinion thing? Recorded "at the bottom of a well" is a bit extreme I think... Sometimes reverb can get pumped a bit on high end or (ironically) gaming speakers, but to be honest, I have high and low passes on my reverb channels and the verb is spread around the mid range to prevent against this. The reverb is supposed to make the song feel deeper, farther away... because in the game the song is played during reflective times where the hero is longing for Lisa..

also I heard quite a few OCRemixes that were the same sort of rework, just like a glamorization of the original... if I was going to change it much more, I would just make it a bit longer and perhaps stretch out the progressions a bit. The goal with this one was to bring an awesome arrangement to a larger audience of people who had perhaps not played the game, so i will have to think about what you guys have said but thanks a ton for the feed back :)