Making Original Hip Hop

• 3 weeks later...

What's up guys? I haven't heard from you in a while, nor have you heard from me. Been busy, but haven't at all left the hip hop game. I got 2, count 'em, TWO beats that are near completion and they both most of the lyrics done for them, too (not recorded, just written).

I wanna show them to you right this very moment but for some reason Sitesled, the server where my website is, has been down for over a week. I wonder if they just went out of business or something. So I guess I'd better check out something like tindeck for stuff like this. I'll post links as soon as I get that account. ^_^

Edit: Tindeck is down right now for the entire month. lol. What are the odds?!

Dual Edit: Uploading the two beats as one video to Youtube. There's a 5-second pause between the two songs. Both are wips and don't have vocals recorded but they're starting to sound pretty good to me. I appreciate any comments or beats from those who offer them. At the very end of the video is the rap that my friend wrote for the second song. It sounds pretty cool to me so I tacked it onto the end to share with you guys. I'll post the link as soon as Youtube finishes processing it.

Tri-Edit!: Ugh. The sound became worse as a youtube video unfortunately, but here's the link.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=bCeNcVpdIvo

I've been really sick. It sucked, but, almost a week off from work, so, no complaining! Anyway, since a little time has passed, I had a question, what's the sound you're going for so far? Like party hip hop, hardcore hip hop... um, alternative hip hop? Lemme know so I'll know what to send.

If I had to pick one type of sound that was my favorite, it's definitely slow orchestral beats good for slow heavy raps. Similar to the first song in that video above.

I haven't been working on it because I never heard back.

I see. Sorry about that. I always go and come back with large intervals in between. You wanted to know how this works. Basically, you make a beat and let me use it. But not entirely for free. As payment I do a rap over it for you. So if you still want to lend me a beat, I'll still give you a song. ^_^

I mean how are we going to coordinate it so the track comes off right? Do I build a demo, with breaks and alternate instrument sections and bridges and whatever, let you demo rhymes over it, go back and fix up sections so they line up well, let you re-record it, go BACK and fix, etc. etc.

Or am I just building an optimistic instrumental track and letting you do the rest?

I just don't know how this works.

I mean how are we going to coordinate it so the track comes off right? Do I build a demo, with breaks and alternate instrument sections and bridges and whatever, let you demo rhymes over it, go back and fix up sections so they line up well, let you re-record it, go BACK and fix, etc. etc.

Or am I just building an optimistic instrumental track and letting you do the rest?

I just don't know how this works.

Oh I see what your saying. We don't have to make it so complicated since it's rap. So how about you just make a "complete" song. As in, an instrumental piece that can be rapped over and just send that one off to me. Although we might lose a degree of synchronization to do it this way, it's probably the easiest way and of course, I'm going to try and make my lyrical rhythm and all that blend into the song as well as I can. Of course, if I get an idea, I may ask you if it's possible to change around something. But basically, your beat is going to be the biggest inspiration for the way I rap. How does that sound?

I don't know for sure, but that's how I imagined the pros do it. The BGM guy creates a mostly finished piece, the rapper does his thing and then they revise once more at the end to make sure the vocals and music interact in a good way. Then again, I could be totally wrong. Hahaha.

I'm in if anyone does east-coast underground with a bit of grimey 70 soulish record sounds in the mix (not battlin' just a personal preference, and Canadian rap sounds alot like what NAS, Wu Tang Clan, and 2Pac dish out).

Conditions:

-I can make a club or south track but will not provide vocals for it.

-Keep it clean (not just in terms of foul language but any rap with an actual intention of offending someone will see me exiting stage right and turning the tables...over, but still, go ahead and battle in fun (listen to the Joe at www.myspace.com/thejoehiphop song Placid MalContent to see what I mean).

-Don't just front and promote yourself. Send a message for the people!

- And yes, I prefer pro-social concious/Christian to bling-bling raps.

-Willing to provide mostly drum beats and breaks.

Oh yeah, check out the link in my sig:

Yeah, chrono. I did check out that song that you sent me and that Japanese rap at the end was pretty freaking sweet actually.

And I also listened to Nujabes, but it wasn't rap. Hahaha. I guess it was instrumental hip hop. It was definitely some beautiful sounding stuff. It makes great inspiration for the BGM, none for the rap, though unfortunately.

Yeah, chrono. I did check out that song that you sent me and that Japanese rap at the end was pretty freaking sweet actually.

And I also listened to Nujabes, but it wasn't rap. Hahaha. I guess it was instrumental hip hop. It was definitely some beautiful sounding stuff. It makes great inspiration for the BGM, none for the rap, though unfortunately.

Many of his tracks feature rapping, and it's absolutely beautiful when it works.

Also look into Cookin' Soul for some more inspiration. Hip hop production these days is more beat-oriented and goes away from its jazz roots, but you don't need to sacrifice melody for rhythm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aI0J3Vuy9Q

Hip hop production these days is more beat-oriented and goes away from its jazz roots, but you don't need to sacrifice melody for rhythm:

hip-hop hardly has roots in jazz. that was just a big part of the music in the late 80s and early 90s. but it's true, you can have tight beats and sweet melodies at the same time. it doesn't need to be one or the other. here's some more giant panda for you :-)

hip-hop hardly has roots in jazz. that was just a big part of the music in the late 80s and early 90s. but it's true, you can have tight beats and sweet melodies at the same time. it doesn't need to be one or the other.

I think certain types of hiphop, such as East Coast (which was, btw, the first area to have hiphop) were influenced by jazz, but it wasn't exactly a derivative of jazz.

I hate how people believe that when they have good melodies, they're sacrificing the groove. The melody is part of the groove!