Question about sound quality in Garageband

Overflow

Hey, I was wondering something. Most of the songs I write have a lot of instruments, and so when they all play (Or even when a few play, if the bass is too loud or something), after I export the song to iTunes, the sound quality is severely hurt and I have to lower the volume a ton in garageband before I can export it and have clear audio, without hissing or snowy sounds.

I would like to know if there's any way (other than the 'adjust volume' settings in iTunes. That's more trouble than it's worth.) to increase the volume of the song after I export it and keep the sound quality high. I'm running OSX Tiger, so I don't know, maybe the newer versions of garageband fix this problem, but does anyone have any tips?

Sounds like normalization could be your friend. I'm not sure if iTunes can do it, but any audio editor (like Audacity) can do it. Save your music from Garageband so that it isn't distorted, then open the AIFF file in the audio editor and select normalize (it will probably be in one of the menus somewhere). This will boost the volume up to the highest it can be without distortion.