OCR ID3 tagging improvements - DONE!

Liontamer

• When I have thousands of these songs, I end up getting hundreds of artists added to my MP3 collection. This clutters my collection. In the past I've replaced the Artist field in all of my OC Remix files to "OCRemix", but I am curious to see what you guys think.

We will never change this. The artist is the person who made the piece of music.

As for your other suggestions, it's all being worked on. I'm not sure why genre is a URL in any of the OC ReMixes; I don't think we've ever tagged anything like that. Weird.

Believe me, Larry's already got a lot of this done, but we've got other things in the pipeline that sort of take priority. You'll see the improvements to the tags once we find a good time to roll everything out.

I've gone ahead and just merged 3 other threads about tagging into this one, so that people can look at the first post and be more likely to understand that this is already being worked on.

As for your other suggestions, it's all being worked on. I'm not sure why genre is a URL in any of the OC ReMixes; I don't think we've ever tagged anything like that. Weird.

Believe me, Larry's already got a lot of this done, but we've got other things in the pipeline that sort of take priority. You'll see the improvements to the tags once we find a good time to roll everything out.

Yep. Also, we didn't tag any genre fields with the URL; your Zune must be doing something weird. The album field is tagged with the URL, not the genre field.

All embedded album art does is increase file size. It's not much, but when you've got 20kb multiplied over 2000 songs, it adds up...

What happened to the good ol' folder.jpg?

We can handle that. We upped the filesize limit to 8MB, so adding album art isn't a big deal. Also, there's no point doing a folder approach, because most people DL individual tracks.

They'll be without album art, but I'll be sure to host a couple of tracks that people can use to test the revisions this weekend.

Actually, this is being worked on. Liontamer is working on the inconsistencies, album art is being approved by djp, and Zune zucks. ;)

There's a helpful little thing called playlists that lots of ppl use. Just fyi. :D

Let's not be a troll and start Zune vs iPod wars :P But yeah, ZuneHDs are awesome. At least Microsoft lets me sync with directories on my filesystem. Apple hates providing freedom of choice to its consumers, so I refuse to support them. iTunes is the most worthless piece of crap.

I've gone ahead and just merged 3 other threads about tagging into this one, so that people can look at the first post and be more likely to understand that this is already being worked on.

Yep. Also, we didn't tag any genre fields with the URL; your Zune must be doing something weird. The album field is tagged with the URL, not the genre field.

We can handle that. We upped the filesize limit to 8MB, so adding album art isn't a big deal. Also, there's no point doing a folder approach, because most people DL individual tracks.

They'll be without album art, but I'll be sure to host a couple of tracks that people can use to test the revisions this weekend.

It's not just my Zune, it's Foobar2000 and MP3Tag. I downloaded most of the songs from the torrents, but I also grab the MP3s directly via HTTP too.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but *something* showed up as a URL. If it wasn't genre, maybe it was the album or something. I don't remember specifically, I replaced it a long time ago.

It's not just my Zune, it's Foobar2000 and MP3Tag. I downloaded most of the songs from the torrents, but I also grab the MP3s directly via HTTP too.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but *something* showed up as a URL. If it wasn't genre, maybe it was the album or something. I don't remember specifically, I replaced it a long time ago.

I use Mp3tag as well. It's the album, and that's 100% on purpose. That's something we're always going to keep. Check the first post to see a rundown of the fixes I've done in preparation for redoing the files.

Question: does "standardized filenames" refer to the name of the games? That is, Final Fantasy 9 will only be listed one way, so I don't have entries beginning with "FF9", "Final Fantasy 9", and "Final Fantasy IX"? (Same thing for, say, Zelda 3 or Zelda Link to the Past, Sonic 2 or Sonic the Hedgehog 2, etc.)

I don't have any suggestions beyond what's already been done (and repeated many times). Still looking forward to when all this is unleashed in the next torrent. KF

Question: does "standardized filenames" refer to the name of the games? That is, Final Fantasy 9 will only be listed one way, so I don't have entries beginning with "FF9", "Final Fantasy 9", and "Final Fantasy IX"? (Same thing for, say, Zelda 3 or Zelda Link to the Past, Sonic 2 or Sonic the Hedgehog 2, etc.)

Yep. Proper game names for all filenames & titles. The filenames will continue using numbers instead of roman numerals.

oh good, that'll allow proper numerical sorting

FF II

FF III

FF IV

FF IX

FF V

FF VI

FF VII

FF VIII

FF X

FF XI

FF XII

FF

always bothers me

Well, the ID3 tag titling might bother you a little, since those will have the Roman numerals, but for me, I always sort by filename, so it's not an issue. Also, we're not adding 1's for anything in filenames (e.g. "Super_Mario_Bros_1"; it'd be a waste time putting 1 on every game that's had a sequel, and it muddies up the proper name.

If they did a batch rename for every remix that set the album as "OC ReMix" or something and had it set for proper Zune or iPod usage then I'd totally redownload it all.:-P

I'm curious as to whether you've even read through this thread at all? The problem is not the album tags; the album tag for all the songs is already uniform. The problem is the album artist field, which is being fixed.

Actually I was really just saying that if it was fixed I'd download it... Having the Artist section say the remixer name is good but it's a huge mess in any mp3 player program. Sorting the album by game would be convenient so that you could play all the remixes for a particular game instead of sorting all 2000 songs into one folder. If you sort your mp3s by album then you'd be good probably, but that's a buttload of skipping to find a song you want.

While you're at it, would you consider labelling "track" with the number of the OC ReMix?

So it would be Track 2017, Track 2018, etc? I sometimes wished there was a way to listen to the songs in a "chronologically-posted" order. So for example if I miss out on downloading for a week I can grab a bunch and listen to them in order of posting.

Obviously I wouldn't expect you guys to change the previous entries but it would be pretty sweet for the future.

I've said numerous times, we'll be doing this. For everything. :lol: Sit tight.

out of curiosity, is this even possible for OCR1000+? the track # field in itunes (mac) won't let me enter more than 3 digits.

Actually I was really just saying that if it was fixed I'd download it... Having the Artist section say the remixer name is good but it's a huge mess in any mp3 player program. Sorting the album by game would be convenient so that you could play all the remixes for a particular game instead of sorting all 2000 songs into one folder. If you sort your mp3s by album then you'd be good probably, but that's a buttload of skipping to find a song you want.

Yeah, you didn't read the thread.

out of curiosity, is this even possible for OCR1000+? the track # field in itunes (mac) won't let me enter more than 3 digits.

Dunno what iTunes limitations are, but since I don't use it to tag mixes, it's moot point. MP3tag handles more then 3 digits just fine, and iTunes diplays more than 3 digits in the track #s with no problem. It doesn't display the extra 0s we add in, which is fine.

Dunno what iTunes limitations are, but since I don't use it to tag mixes, it's moot point. MP3tag handles more then 3 digits just fine, and iTunes diplays more than 3 digits in the track #s with no problem. It doesn't display the extra 0s we add in, which is fine.

ahh, gotcha. thanks. seems a little funny that it would display but not allow input of 4+ digit track #'s.

There's a field called "encoded with" which you seem to have interpreted as "encoded by". Maybe it's called encoder in other software. Seems like it's for the mp3 encoder, not the artist converting it to mp3. :P

Rabbit Joint Cover has OCR# in the Video Description tag, the others don't.

All 15 tracks work in iTunes on mac. Some of them I don't recognize from before, I assume those are fixed somehow from previous versions that iTunes couldn't import.

There's a field called "encoded with" which you seem to have interpreted as "encoded by". Maybe it's called encoder in other software. Seems like it's for the mp3 encoder, not the artist converting it to mp3. :P

That's a conscious decision. It's "Encoded by" in Winamp 2 and "Encoded" in Winamp 5, so I'm OK with how I'm using it. It's much more important to me to actually promote the ReMixer and their contact info. There's a separate "Encoder Settings" tag that overrides the "Encoded by/with" field in iTunes if it's filled out.

Rabbit Joint Cover has OCR# in the Video Description tag, the others don't.

Yep, that's just a test tag that a few other mixes have, but won't be in the final file. Glad you noticed it.

If there are other fields filled out, the Album Artist field isn't working, or any other issues like that, everyone please let me know.

Album Artist is ok on mac iTunes. They all say OverClocked ReMix.

Some of them have some info in a Release Date tag, not all.

Track# is all three-digit, don't think any of them are +1000 so can't say about that.

Aquatic Interlude wasn't posted in 2000. Noticed that it had a higher Track# than stuff from 2002 despite the year tag saying it's from 2000.

Some of them have some info in a Release Date tag, not all.

Track# is all three-digit, don't think any of them are +1000 so can't say about that.

Aquatic Interlude wasn't posted in 2000. Noticed that it had a higher Track# than stuff from 2002 despite the year tag saying it's from 2000.

1. I had already cleared out every possible unnecessary field via MP3tag, so this came as a surprise. But the reason this was still around is because the "Release Time" field can only be manually added into MP3tag; it wasn't selectable. Either way, that caught 170 old mixes with that old data still in there. Good catch, I'm glad we took care of that.

2. I'll upload something post-1000 later tonight.

3. There were 2 or 3 other incorrect years that I fixed as well, mostly ones posted near the turn of the year. Glad you noticed.

I've thought about using the URL Audio File/WWWAUDIOFILE field to add the URL for each ReMix, but I have no idea what MP3 players use that data. If anyone knows of a program that does so, let me know.