OCR ID3 tagging improvements - DONE!

Liontamer

Still waiting for answers to my previous questions. Can anyone answer them?

the issue is that they all need either the same Album Artist (I usually use OC Remix or something similar) or the Compilation tag checked.

honestly, it's easier to organize by album artist, because it allows you to pull every single OC Remix - whether a site release, project release, or anything else - into one playlist by simply selecting that artist on your ipod. album compilations exclude each other, generally, so you'd have to manually assign them to a playlist to get every track from OCR. this is problematic since it doesn't update itself when you add music.

Thanks for clarifying, y'all. Well, as far as my project for re-tagging every individual ReMix for re-release, we won't need compilation checked in iTunes, because everything already will have OverClocked ReMix as the album artist. Thus everything should be grouped. I've actually been tagging the Album Artist field for recent ReMixes. Try any of the last hundred ReMixes in iTunes and that field should be filled out.

Ryan, to answer your question, you could have downloaded MP3tag and batch tagged every mix with "OverClocked ReMix" as the album artist before dropping them into your iPod and you'd have been pretty much set. You wouldn't have needed to use the compilation field.

Ryan, to answer your question, you could have downloaded MP3tag and batch tagged every mix with "OverClocked ReMix" as the album artist before dropping them into your iPod and you'd have been pretty much set. You wouldn't have needed to use the compilation field.

or just selected everything, right click -> get info in itunes, and set album artist as whatever you want.

or just selected everything, right click -> get info in itunes, and set album artist as whatever you want.

True. I'm not used to using iTunes for natch tagging since I don't normally use it and MP3tag is just a much better tagging program (being that tagging is its sole function). I highly recommend everyone download MP3tag.

I'll do that when the 2000 torrent comes out and I redownload the second batch. Thanks, everyone!

It'll already be done in the new torrent, so you won't actually need to do anything. Excitement!

As for sorting songs further, I have a few smart playlists set up

OCR 5 star

OCR 4 star

OCR unrated

I rate tracks as I listen, 5 stars if I like the song and it is upbeat and energetic, 4 stars if I like the song and it is more mellow. 3 stars if it is an okay song, and 1 star if I never want to hear it again.

Upon resyncing, the songs are autmatically added to the appropriate playlists so I can shuffle the 5 star or 4 star playlist and get OCRemixes I know I like in a style I prefer at the time.

I can also keep listening to random unrated songs to get them sorted.

Seems to work for me.

As for sorting songs further, I have a few smart playlists set up

OCR 5 star

OCR 4 star

OCR unrated

I rate tracks as I listen, 5 stars if I like the song and it is upbeat and energetic, 4 stars if I like the song and it is more mellow. 3 stars if it is an okay song, and 1 star if I never want to hear it again.

Upon resyncing, the songs are autmatically added to the appropriate playlists so I can shuffle the 5 star or 4 star playlist and get OCRemixes I know I like in a style I prefer at the time.

I can also keep listening to random unrated songs to get them sorted.

Seems to work for me.

This is smart -- definitely going to start rating my tracks like that.

That's a good idea, but it really makes me wish there was an easier way to "tag" songs with iTunes instead of going in and editing the Comments field, which is oftentimes taken up with other information anyway, so I wouldn't have to automatically update a bunch of different genre-based playlists every time I get a new song in my library.

That's a good idea, but it really makes me wish there was an easier way to "tag" songs with iTunes instead of going in and editing the Comments field, which is oftentimes taken up with other information anyway, so I wouldn't have to automatically update a bunch of different genre-based playlists every time I get a new song in my library.

i agree. i also wish that itunes used a character - a semicolon, maybe - to separate artists within the field. so, a track done by zircon and sixto wouldn't show up as different artists than zircon, or sixto. this would allow you to listen to, say, every track by sixto, by just selecting the artist's name, and not digging through a zillion other artists. realplayer back in the day had that, and that was the only reason i used it as long as i did. i don't understand why they haven't fixed that, honestly.

i agree. i also wish that itunes used a character - a semicolon, maybe - to separate artists within the field. so, a track done by zircon and sixto wouldn't show up as different artists than zircon, or sixto.

It's a pain sometimes. The ID3v2.3 standard uses / to separate artists, but unfortunately, WMP is (sadly) the only media player I've see that supports it. It might be nice to have that built in for the complete retagged OCR collection, just in case anything else ever comes around to support it though.

It's a pain sometimes. The ID3v2.3 standard uses / to separate artists, but unfortunately, WMP is (sadly) the only media player I've see that supports it. It might be nice to have that built in for the complete retagged OCR collection, just in case anything else ever comes around to support it though.

Thanks for bringing that up. Neither djp or I could find where it says / is an ID3 standard for separating artists. Either way Windows Media Player is a poor program for sorting music in the first place (it isn't even intuitive how to show disc #), so it's at least OK if we don't cater to that standard. Same with RealPlayer as Brad referenced.

All of that aside, / just isn't in common or trending enough usage to bother using it. It's the same reason we don't use OGG. OGG is good, but doesn't have enough support. If anything else comes up that would in fact be successful addressing this issue, definitely let us know.

JUST FYI, I've basically looked at iTunes/iPod and Winamp as the two standard MP3 players. If there's any other broad-use robust MP3 player I should look at, lemme know.

From http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0 -

TOPE

The 'Original artist(s)/performer(s)' frame is intended for the performer(s) of the original recording, if for example the music in the file should be a cover of a previously released song. The performers are seperated with the "/" character.

The ID3.org spec for ID3v2.3 defines it (even though, yes, it is technically an informal standard), but yeah, no one supports it. It's kinda sad to see that even good programs like Winamp don't do it, but oh well. Not much we can do. Personally I just use commas and &s and figure then I can just search for them in iTunes if I want to retag it ever.

Running everything through BPM Analyzer today to see if I can get a complete BPM list for all of the ReMixes.

http://download.cnet.com/MixMeister-BPM-Analyzer/3000-2169_4-10290906.html

From what I can tell, the prog is generally accurate, but it has its flaws as far as determining BPM, like giving slow songs a fast #, when it should halve the #.

Anyway, giving it a whirl to see how it is. I may even make a Google Doc spreadsheet to share and troubleshoot with.

Well, the BPM results are certainly informative, but based on what I've seen and staff feedback, we're not going to go whole hog and include BPM data in the MP3s. If we knew it was 99% accurate, we would. But what I've found from running BPM Analyzer can be useful for the genre/moods/instrumentation tagging system in the database as far as broadly hitting what are uptempo or downtempo mixes.

• 11 months later...

Post - #2000 OCRemixes progressively had a new way to standardise ID3 Tags : track number, author comments, and http://ocremix.org as the album (instead of http://www.ocremix.org). While the change is great, I bet people using media sorting software (iTunes, Banshee, Rhythmbox...) are often frustrated to see thousands of old remixes alphabetically sorted in a separate album. Here are the two downsides of cleaning up the old remixes tags :

• Someone will have to retag track number, album and mainly comments for about 2000 remixes.
  • The torrents we've been fightning for years to keep online will be obsolete.

Are these issues big enough for us to keep things as they are ?

• 1 month later...

So while browsing around the site within the past week, and ultimately even downloading some tracks that I hadn't heard before, I've noticed when looking towards a handful in Windows Explorer that some of them were tagged as track '0' in the track number tag.

I first noticed it with a mutagene track that I thought should've been taken down in one of the lockdowns (thanks for the clarification Larry), though then I noticed it again when going on a Link's Awakening download spree tonight and noticing it on both of Scott Peeples's contributions.

Is there any explanation why some of the tracks were tagged this way? Is it a marking to suggest that they should be taken down when the new torrents were up (just as stated with the mutagene track), or is it seen as some kind of error? Whatever's up with these tracks, I'd definitely appreciate the response :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up 2 of the newer songs from the site today:

ReMix: Suikoden 'Days Long Passed, Seldom Remembered' http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02410/

and

ReMix: The Legend of Zelda 'Zelda Heineken' http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01845/

One of these has album art and a different album name from the other. Is this normal? I know the older torrents had this issue, but I thought the new mixes had a format or something.?

Will any of the older album torrents be updated?

examples:

Kong in Concert's torrent is actually .WAV files. Not the mix of .mp3 and .flac files the most of the others.

Relics of the Chozo simply has a .rar file full of .wav files.