How do you organize your OC collection?

Teslacrashed

So I primarily use Songbird.

Now Songbird can easily sort by Genre, Artist, or Album.

but Most OC Remixes for a same game are all over the place. Some are jazz, some are piano, some are techno.

is there any trick to sort by video game, short of cheating and turning the Genre into the video game?

Cause sometimes I want to listen to just Kirby remixes, or at least find them easily.

Anyone else deal with this without just making tons of Playlist.

I'm not super computer literate, so maybe I'm missing something easy here.

Your on your own...the genres are freaking everywhere, and theres no tagging system here at OCR, though that would be convenient. As far as games go, you'd probably be best off just putting "Kirby" or whatever in the search filter, since the naming system for ReMixes puts the name of the game first in the song title.

If you want some extra advice, I say screw organizing mp3s altogether. That shit sucks.

Not in Windows to check Songbird and be sure about this, but I'm sure there's a search feature you can use to find just "Kirby"

One solution (I used to do this all the time in Banshee..) is to make a playlist with the search results for songs with the title "Kirby" in them (or, alternatively, if you sort by Song Name like I do, they'll all be next to each other). Should be a pretty decent solution.

just search "kirby ocremix" in the upper right corner of songbird, make sure the little bird icon is showing so you're searching your library.

You can also sort by title of track since the game always comes first (i.e. Jade Cocoon People Made of Stone where 'Jade Cocoon' is the original game).

Also, since you're using songbird, please show your support for adding chiptune format plugins for songbird.

http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/topics/support_for_chiptunes_and_video_game_music_formats

So I primarily use Songbird.

Now Songbird can easily sort by Genre, Artist, or Album.

but Most OC Remixes for a same game are all over the place. Some are jazz, some are piano, some are techno.

is there any trick to sort by video game, short of cheating and turning the Genre into the video game?

Cause sometimes I want to listen to just Kirby remixes, or at least find them easily.

Anyone else deal with this without just making tons of Playlist.

I'm not super computer literate, so maybe I'm missing something easy here.

Yes. You can define a new genre and call it Video Game, at least you can in Winamp. Just go to the box and click and instead of picking a genre in the list, type something. If you have a lot of remixes, this can be a pain. I would use the program Tag&Rename and then you'd be able to change the tags to whatever you want. I'm not too sure if Tag&Rename is similar to Songbird at all, but it takes a while to get used to Tag&Rename, but once you get it, you're pretty much set.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this. Move it if I'm totally off course... :<

OCR-OCD_PayingOff.png

It's all thanks to Windows 7, really. I started this sort-out MUCH earlier (2009) than I got my hands on it (2011) - pretty lucky tbh. The Search functions in 7 & i guess Vista made this idea of "catalogging" work out perfectly. :sleepdepriv:

Damn. Kind of sucks that you're just going to have to do all the file renaming again when the new torrent with Larry's super-badass complete ID3 tags is released (which includes several re-encoded tracks for higher quality, more consistent formatting, notes from the artists, embedded album art, and all sorts of other cool stuff.)

Damn. Kind of sucks that you're just going to have to do all the file renaming again when the new torrent with Larry's super-badass complete ID3 tags is released (which includes several re-encoded tracks for higher quality, more consistent formatting, notes from the artists, embedded album art, and all sorts of other cool stuff.)

Lol, yes I know about this. I was already done when I got the news, though :P

EDIT:

I will look up the ones that has been updated SOUNDwise and replace them. Will not bother about the new tags overall.

This was for my own benefit only, and I never intended to spread the catalog sort online. ^^

tagmi or advanced renamer can take tags and build filenames based on whatever booleans you want. i recently organized, tagged, and renamed a 4000-song collection of free music for a private tracker, and used those two free programs for the whole thing. it probably would have taken way less time than this, and allowed you to do anything you want :<