How do you organize your OC collection?

Teslacrashed

I started doing something very similar a while back. Fortunately, I heard about the re-tagging before I got too far. Kudos for getting it done, though.

Also, I love the "Dude You Gotta Sort This S..." Folder. Looks familiar... :<

HAH, yes! Folders like that are commonplace when you have Digital cleaning OCD. Problem for me is, I've got a lot of those folders at the moment, so I tend to go "meh, can't be arsed" :-D

• 6 months later...
I organize it via the filesystem - I have my OCR stuff in G:\VGM\OverClocked ReMix\ and then I have a folder for each game so all Chrono Trigger mixes would be in G:\VGM\OverClocked ReMix\Chrono Trigger\.

This is pretty much exactly what I do, except I don't keep OCR stuff in my VGM folder. So it'd be My Music\OverClocked ReMix\Chrono Trigger.

In my Music folder, there's a folder for Game Remixes. In there, albums go in Remix Albums, and individual OCR stuff goes in the OCR folder. Inside that, if there's enough mixes for the game(s), it gets its own folder with the name of that game or, if it's a part of a series, the name of the series (Mario games -> Mario folder, Chrono Trigger/Cross -> Chrono Series folder, etc.). The rest goes in the Misc folder.

Ahh, here's a topic near and dear to my heart. I use MediaMonkey to keep track of everything because of it's ridiculous amount of control and tagging options. At the top, I use the "Group" tag to separate out video game music from contemporary stuff. Then I set the genre to the game series/franchise (that way if I just want to listen to, say, Final Fantasy mixes, I just filter the "Final Fantasy" genre). One of the Custom tags is used for specific game within a series (ie- Final Fantasy VI). Album is simply "OverClocked Remix". I've recently been thinking of setting up another custom tag to note the original track (so, like, all my "Terra" remixes can be grouped/filtered), but with nearly 1000 tracks, it'd take a really long time to update them all.

My music folder used to be one giant collection, but since I switched to MediaMonkey, I found it worked better to sort the files into folder by Group, Album Artist, then album or game series.

The one thing about the default tagging from the site that I don't like: separating artists by comma. MediaMonkey supports multiple-artist listing by putting a semicolon between entries. Thus, if I want to pull up a specific artist, all of their collab work comes up along with their solo work. With commas, it creates a new artist entry in the database with all the names rolled together. It's no big deal, but I usually have to spend a bit of time manually updating them when a new album releases.

I have a special folder for ReMixes, then folders within those folders. Here's the lowdown.

Music-

---OcReMix-

------ARmed & DANGerous-

------------Disc 1

------------Disc 2

------------Disc 3

------------Disc 4

------BadAss Boss Themes

------Nintendo-

------------Mario Series-

---------------Mario Bros Series

---------------Mario Galaxy

---------------Mario Kart

------------Zelda Series-

---------------Zelda OoT

---------------Zelda 2

------Misc-

------------Game Title 1

------------Game Title 2

------Sega-

---------Sonic Series-

------------Sonic 1

------------S3&K

So, it that's pretty much how it looks. With way more folders though.

vg music > Publisher > series (if it's big enough to warrant i.e. Mario, Castlevania) > Game

OCRs share the same folder space as other mixes and source tunes. I rarely keep albums in their own separate folder unless they're something unique about them (Chiptuned Rockman, FFIV Celtic Moon) or I'm feeling lazy. When I do, they'll go either in the game's folder or the series', depending on the scope of the album.

My music is spread out among a few locations (namely My Documents > My Completed Downloads, My Documents > My Music > iTunes > iTunes Music [left over from when I used iTunes, would've broken far too many songs to move/delete it], and the ultra-confusing Desktop > Games > Pictures > Music), so it's not THAT organized at all.

That said, in my media player itself it's all extremely organized. XD

I organize it via the filesystem - I have my OCR stuff in G:\VGM\OverClocked ReMix\ and then I have a folder for each game so all Chrono Trigger mixes would be in G:\VGM\OverClocked ReMix\Chrono Trigger\.

I should also mention that I keep the albums in a different folder, G:\VGM\OverClocked ReMix Albums, so that it's easier to access.