How do you organize your OC collection?

Teslacrashed

I have three folders. Recently downloaded songs go to "GameMix" folder which I hear for a month or so till the next download section. Musics that I judge nice go to "OCRemix" folder and stay there till I get sick tired of hearing them, and then I move them to "OCR" folder which is basically an archive of OCR songs, this folder can go to backup at anytime.

I have a folder for new music and a folder for old music. When I download something, it goes to new music. As soon as I get the chance to put it on my ipod, it disappears forever into the old music folder. Album tracks don't get special treatment (the exceptions being Essence of Lime and Lime of the Season, which have multiple subfolders for scraps and different file types).

On my ipod, I have playlists for different game series. A song goes in "other" if I don't have enough to justify a playlist.

it also goes in "other" if it's not game music :<

I used to be absolutely anal-retentive about the mix tags. 'Course, that was back when I had an MP3-CD player that could only display 12 chars at a time.

Now I don't bother so much. All mixes in one big folder (with subfolders for albums, since they come in their own folders anyway). Winamp searches the tags if I need to find anything.

I just throw everything in iTunes and delete any mixes I don't care for. If it's part of an album, however, I'll keep it for continuity's sake.

That's how I do it. However, I feel compelled to go back and make changes to artists names in order to get some cohesive structure. It becomes a little frustrating to group the same artist together when he/she goes by 3 different names (i.e. Another Soundscape, anosou, Mattias Häggström Gerdt or Daniel Baronowsky, Danny Baronowsky, dB soundworks, etc.).

That's how I do it. However, I feel compelled to go back and make changes to artists names in order to get some cohesive structure. It becomes a little frustrating to group the same artist together when he/she goes by 3 different names (i.e. Another Soundscape, anosou, Mattias Häggström Gerdt or Daniel Baronowsky, Danny Baronowsky, dB soundworks, etc.).

I'm pretty much the same way. Sometimes I forget which name that the track was under and I have to go looking longer than I need too. Which is like 4 seconds but still.

I have a folder called "Fun Folder" where I keep my music, games, etc. within my music folder, I have a separate folder for OCRemix. In that folder, individual albums get there own folder, and songs I download straight from OCRemix (including WIPs) go to a folder called "http://ocremix.org" In iTunes, its pretty much the same ordeal.

Surprised by how many people prioritize by game/publisher.

I listen to mixes by artist first. Yeah, they're taking elements from vgm, which is neat, but the nostalgia boost (liking a specific source) is trivial compared to what the artist does with the source. I'd rather listen to a great artist that's made a bunch of stuff from sources I don't recognize than a good artist who's covered familiar tunes. Plus, that former category motivates me to seek out and listen to the source to see just how disgusting the arrangement is in comparison to the original, so I end up learning the source one way or another (and occasionally discover a fantastic soundtrack or original music to boot).

I think that's because I got into ocr (edit: and vgmix, rip) about the same time that I started really digging into classical and jazz; it was more that I was sick of vocals than anything else, and most vgm mixes were instrumentals. I think I look at vocalists similarly to how Ted Williams looked at pitchers. Not a perfect parallel, but it'll do. Singer-songwriters that excel in both aspects are the exception, of course.

Anyway, for me it's about the music, not the game.

Organizational specifics follow for anyone curious. I used this an excuse to rethink / flesh out some minor organizational points, so that's why I went into this level of detail.

I organize by hard-drive filing system. I don't do anything else like use media player libraries or tag.

vgm has its own folder under music; vgm and official arrangement albums go there. Two folders are under that for unofficial arrangements/remixes; one for everything else, one for Touhou.

Individual tracks... Artist(s) - Title (Source) (Game). Artists, sources ordered by significance of contribution. More than three sources and it becomes "megamix" or "medley", as appropriate.

Albums (everything else)... Group(s) - Title (Game). Group becomes "OCR" for OCR albums, Artist for individual-mixer albums. Game is omitted for albums that cover several games.

Albums (Touhou)... Circle(s). Subfolders for albums... yyyymmdd (Convention) Title.

Tracks within albums are left as-is if there's a file that has has all the info I want. Otherwise it's... ## Title (Source) (Game) (Artist). Game(s) is omitted for single-game albums. ## becomes ### for multi-disk albums. Same rules as before with sources and artists.

That's only for music that I've listened to, and that's also only how things are supposed to be done. I have subfolders for new music, which collectively amounts to an obnoxious mess, and a nontrivial portion of what I've listened to doesn't get moved (or, with Touhou albums, doesn't get correctly relabled) because I'll get motivated enough to listen but not enough to research and relabel.

• 1 month later...