OCR01798 - Final Fantasy VI "Purity"

djpretzel

I'll be frank: the aethereal-sounding break in the middle when the theme kicks in is what sealed the deal for me. I was listening along, you know, thinking about how this is another trance mix and whatnot, then BOOM. The break comes and blows my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.

...Sorry, I think college sort of destroyed what little sanity I used to have.

Anyway, besides accidentally having my sound turned up a little too high and almost blowing out my eardrums with that first beat, it's all good!

I, like so many others, am a fan.

Also, I may be somewhat biased, since I'm a big fan of these sorts of mixes, but isn't it normal for trance mixes to take some time getting to the meat and potatoes of the source material? I recall reading almost the exact same comment on FF10's White Skies trance remix, posted here some time ago. It's trance! You have to have time to...zone out...before you enter rockout mode.

Meh, what do I know. Anyway, I <3 this mix.

Good stuff ABG. I thought things got a little reverb/delay heavy around 2:10-2:35, even for the genre, but everything clears up nicely afterward. I agree with finn that the extended build up here is absolutely required to put one in the proper state of mind for rocking out :) Doesn't feel too long to me at all, BUT, since this mix is only 4:35 my biggest gripe is that the mix feels too short! When the claps drop out at 4:14, I want it to be a break before another build, not an outro. But it is what it is, and what it is is completely enjoyable. Nice work again.

Nice trance mix, I don't always like trance mixes since they have a tendency to get "distracted," from the source, but I was actually fine with the long buildup for this one, that's just how trance is, for the most part.

I'd say what has me curious in the end is why this is considered an FF6 remix. I mean I guess you had to choose a game, but as far as I can tell, the Prelude has pretty well been shared between just about every FF game, and I'm just not sure what about this ties it specifically to FF6, and not say, 4, or even 1.

I'm just not sure what about this ties it specifically to FF6, and not say, 4, or even 1.

I was listening to the FF6 version as a reference when I wrote it.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :) I've got another track in the queue and more in production, so it shouldn't be another 4 years before you hear from me again!

• 2 weeks later...

I really, REALLY like it, but I wish it used that one sort of not-in-the-original, kind of adventure-y chord a little more towards the end. I loved it and it seemed it was sort of forgot about.

Anyway, I love how the guitar echoes - the song really pulls you in.

Great song. :]

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Went into this one only knowing the title, and knowing it was from FF6. Kind of enjoyed the fact that I was completely in the dark as to what the source was until about a third of the way through the mix, when the prelude theme appeared.

Love the energy of the mix and the weirdness of being in A# instead of the traditional, happy sounding C. Also really loved the plucked guitar that has a ton of reverb8)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01798 - Final Fantasy VI "Purity"