OCR01043 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Electric Gear Solid"

djpretzel

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. I have been waiting an excruciatingly long time for a mix of this, and this is even better than a hypothetical remix I repeatedly sung in my head. The transition from techno and classical an back is almost flawless, and the samples are all great. I'd reccomend it.

This song is one of my favorites of all time. There's so much heroism compacted into that short verse. It's one of those songs that stirs you around when you hear it.

For the most part, this mix did it justice. The electric sounds were top notch... the strings were okay (the upper register of these was a little iffy, but no big deal). My main problem with this arrangement is that some of the power (for me, anyway), was lost in the non-accented lower chords. Emphasis, of course, is going to be on the main melody, yet the juxtaposition between the sweeping melody and the bass clef chords is what makes this song so evokative it's chilling. I felt that this mix put the bottom counterchords too low or too covered to really balance out into those wonderful harmonies that this song has. At first, with the punching staccato strings down low, it is fine to have these lower chords somewhat neglected, but by the end, in my ideal mix, they would be much more noticeable and developed, possibly even entering up into the upper register to drive the point home even more.

Still, there are mad skills abound here. It's obvious this mix took thought and time, and it does show. Though I have a dream of how to make this as effecting as the original (in a remixed way), I'd recommend this.

It's great to finally see this nice piece of work on OCR's main page [i remember downloading the WIP sometime in March]. The original is heavily relied on, and it's definitely to the benefit of the remix, at least in my eyes. I'm always willing to hear a different interpretation of one of my favorite video game tracks of all-time, especially if it's this good. A spot on my OCR's Greatest Hits CD had already been reserved for this track, and today I finally get to add it in there.

What have you done to the song! 8O

I’m sorry but I don’t like this remix at all. i cant explain why but this song makes me go sour, original was far better. I’m sorry to degrade you like this but that’s what I think.

Still, there are mad skills abound here. It's obvious this mix took thought and time, and it does show. Though I have a dream of how to make this as effecting as the original (in a remixed way), I'd recommend this.

If some one could achieve that it would probably be one of the best mixes on the site. definitely would be my favorite.

I just thought I would mention that Harry Gregson Williams did not compose the original version of this song. It was played in most of the demo videos of MGS 1 for the PSX , HGW "REMIXED" it for MGS2 so this is a remix of a remix. I like both of the originals (not sure which I like more).

I can't say I like this mix very much (the style doesn't really suit my tastes), but at least the authors taste in source material is good :)

Nice! Very good job. :nicework: And we only had to wait what, 9 months for it? :lol:

Anyway, it’s nice to finally see this on OCR. I like the violin you have here a lot, and I think the classic/electric thing you have going on is a perfect blend. I like your ending, the way you bring the vocals back and have the heavy (snare?) drums. I think over all, this definitely does the original song justice. Keep it up!

I second Krispy. Keep sending more in

By request, Spyder sent me a link to this song several weeks ago. Now that it's posted though, I'll just put up my opinion here for all to see. It's quite nice, actually. I thought it was loyal to the original while still adding a different twist, and I really thought the 'electric' parts of the song merged with the orchestral moments very well. I'm really not a huge fan of electronica, generally, but I have no complaints at all about this. Very good stuff. I hope to see more MGS remixes of this caliber in the future.

I honestly almost passed this one over, being in the mood for something much like this but not getting the right impression from pretzel's review. Then, as I was backing up to look at the other new one, I saw the magic words: more good driving music. I do a lot of driving. I enjoy driving. Therefore, driving music appeals to me.

As for the track itself, I don't own MGS2, though I spent a fair amount of time with it through rentals and suchnot. I'm not able to %100 bring back to mind the original one, but I do remember thinking that the score might've better suited an RPG when first hearing it (And again here). Yeah, it relies a lot on the main theme, but it's still played with enough to give it a rather distinct and nice feel. The strings may be off, as said, but that, too, adds to the feel. Overall, one of the best things I've heard in some time.

Vell done. =)

I am digging this, like LS I'm a big fan of the original track. The last half of the song is really strong. The snares during the slow interlude sound a little too plain, I kinda expected the rolling snares from the original but that's just me. Also a stronger bassline would add some depth to the track, but it wouldn't take much bass to overpower and totally change the song's feel.

I absolutely love the MGS and MGS2 themes. The play count on them in my library is over 100x each easily. I first got this remix a long while back from Spyd, about 7 or 8 months ago, so says the file info. I liked it then. I love it now. I think it's very well done, so well infact that it has since surpassed both the original by nearly double in play count. I'm probably biased though. ;) I hope he does more remixes.

Haha. GR, back in the day, Spyd. Haha.

- DS (Long time since I've gone by that name. :))

Hey DS! Long time no see. :)

Yeah, it's a decent remix I think. Not bad considering I did it using only matrix controllers in Reason 2 (as a dare from a friend.)

I see some people don't like the samples, and to them -- I agree. I don't warez samples, so that puts a roadblock on getting quality violin patches. ;)

I'm glad all of you enjoyed listening to it,

-Spy

P.S. Darkside, you know my aim name. :P

I found it to be a very weak remix at first, but lately it's been growing on me. :wink:

There's something about that theme that makes you keep coming back.

Hehe ~ burnt that mofo onto a CD w/in days of the remix on the site.

Still I do agree that it could have been stronger, but since it was a dare, it's

not like you could have used the equipment you wanted to. :twisted: It is pretty good for a dare.

Hope to hear more from you, Spyder ! (^^!

I found it to be a very weak remix at first, but lately it's been growing on me. :wink:

There's something about that theme that makes you keep coming back.

Hehe ~ burnt that mofo onto a CD w/in days of the remix on the site.

Yeah, I guess it kinda gets better the more you listen to it. I'm rather tired of hearing it myself, but that's just me. ;)

As for more remixes, I'm not sure I want to go through another 9+ month ordeal in the queue, but I have quite a few newer ones around the net. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01043 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Electric Gear Solid"