what does a rogue sound like?

prophetik music

i'm doing some music for a small game studio called rogue pirate ninja. i'm doing a short theme intro for each of those names. i know what a ninja sounds like, and what a pirate sounds like, so they're fine. but what does a rogue sound like? i was thinking a spanish flavor, like indigo montoya...but should i go for an old western feel, like john wayne? or suspenseful, like a rogue operative in a foreign country?

this is a really dumb question, i know, but i seriously can't figure it out.

Well, some of this depends on whether rogue is being used as an adjective or a noun.

rogue (romacr.gifg)n.

An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.

A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.

An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard.

adj.

Vicious and solitary. Used of an animal, especially an elephant.

Large, destructive, and anomalous or unpredictable: a rogue wave; a rogue tornado.

Operating outside normal or desirable controls: "How could a single rogue trader bring down an otherwise profitable and well-regarded institution?" Saul Hansell.

As a noun, I'd say the suggestions thus far make sense... something sneaky, slithering, and mischievous. Not sure if the Spanish thing in particular makes sense, but it certainly could if those other criteria are met.

If it's an adjective, as the title kinda suggests, it's a bit different... I'd say, more surly, raucous, and violent. The image that comes to mind is a biker, and the music that comes to mind is bar-fighting, Thorogood-style rock and roll. Just throwing that out there as another possible angle.

Hmmm depending on the tone of the game, I would almost go pink-pantherish...

This. The Spanish flair thing seems to make more sense to me for a duelist-type character, while a rogue puts me more in the mindset of sneaking around and avoiding conflict if possible, for which a Pink Panther style smooth jazz thing would work brilliantly. Puts you in the mind of suave and clever and stylish.

Well, some of this depends on whether rogue is being used as an adjective or a noun.

rogue (romacr.gifg)n.

An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.

A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.

An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard.

adj.

Vicious and solitary. Used of an animal, especially an elephant.

Large, destructive, and anomalous or unpredictable: a rogue wave; a rogue tornado.

Operating outside normal or desirable controls: "How could a single rogue trader bring down an otherwise profitable and well-regarded institution?" Saul Hansell.

As a noun, I'd say the suggestions thus far make sense... something sneaky, slithering, and mischievous. Not sure if the Spanish thing in particular makes sense, but it certainly could if those other criteria are met.

If it's an adjective, as the title kinda suggests, it's a bit different... I'd say, more surly, raucous, and violent. The image that comes to mind is a biker, and the music that comes to mind is bar-fighting, Thorogood-style rock and roll. Just throwing that out there as another possible angle.

the issue is that it's only a 5-6 second introduction, so i've gotta get in and get out, as quick as possible. i can't do sneaking as much as i'd like to. or balls rock, which would really fit my personal view of what a rogue is (cue ACDC music). i dunno if i can do it in 5 seconds, though.

i think triad's right - spanish as a sound that's instantly distinctive, regardless of how long i've got. it's also got a lot of cultural connotations (a la ben stiller's entrance in anchorman).

thanks for the commentary, guys, i'll let you know how it turns out.

To be perfectly fair, though, I don't think there's a real way that a rogue should sound. I mean literally there's all sorts of ways to play one so long as they as a character fit into the role type that you don't need to be applying accents or slang into their speech.

It's not always about how you say something as it is what you say and why you say it.

A rogue sounds like 3d6 sneak attack damage.

I think secrecy and sneaking are totally the definitive terms for rogue. The image I get is something medieval, like Thief. I think things that convey delicate situations as well as the constant threat of imminent danger would quite describe the life of a rogue.

Down-sliding round brass sound, or low pizzicato strings, mebe?

Honestly, a ninja is like an Asian rogue.

I echo everybody that has said there is no specific sound fitting of a rogue. Its all in how you write and deliver the sounds that give the peice the character you're looking for.

And also when i think of a rogue i dont think sneaky stealthy hiding in the shadows, necessarily. I think of a rogue as someone who is completely alone whose enemys are everywhere, if not everyone. He (or she) is fighting his own battle for his own reasons usually whiel a much more powerful group is trying to stop him. stealth may be necessary for survival but i wouldn't think of it as the primary characteristic.

Thats my two cents on the definition

I also agree that a spanish sounding peice (fandango maybe) would work well. It'd be very distinct from the other pieces, and it can certainlylend itself well to conveying the rogue type character for whichever aspect(s) you choose to emphasize.