OCR01044 - Sonic & Knuckles "Angel"

djpretzel

I'm loving the jazzy feel, that's no doubt. That sax is really playin' it up.

Also, the fact that I can easily hear Lava Reef is a good nod back to the gameplay (for those to con't remember right away, Lava Reef 2 leads directly down to Hidden Palace). On my playlist, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, great remix. 'Nuff said.

Also, the fact that I can easily hear Lava Reef is a good nod back to the gameplay (for those to con't remember right away, Lava Reef 2 leads directly down to Hidden Palace).

Yes, in fact, the music for Lava Reef Zone Act 2 and the Hidden Palace Zone is the same. (The Stage Select in the game lists HPZ as "Lava Reef Act 4", too)

• 4 months later...

I didn't like the remix. It just didn't hold true to the "awesome" reviews it was getting. A sax doesn't do this song justice. I'm sorry, but the remix wasn't really worth my time. The Hidden Palace music was taken waaaay too fast for my liking, and no beat makes for a no-brainer.

• 4 weeks later...
I didn't like the remix. It just didn't hold true to the "awesome" reviews it was getting. A sax doesn't do this song justice. I'm sorry, but the remix wasn't really worth my time. The Hidden Palace music was taken waaaay too fast for my liking, and no beat makes for a no-brainer.

Keep it into your opinion... first you say it doesn't deserve any praise, but all the reasons you came up with are just a matter of opinion. This is a remix site, and although I like remixes that sound just like the original (Golden Axe "Golden Axe 2002", for example), I think "remixes" are by definition a new take on things.

• 1 month later...

No beat?

There's very strong beat there.

• 4 weeks later...
I caught the Hidden Palace Zone tune as soon as I heard it. And the solo had a little bit of Lava Reef Zone in it too. Very nice, Darke. This is one of your best yet.

Well, seeing as the Hidden Palace Zone song is the exact same song as the Lava Reef zone act 2, that makes sense...

Anyway, great remix of the song. It's a great song to chill out to...

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This saxophone sample sounds for real, it echoes perfectly away....

Wha..? Where was I? Oh yes. AWESOME remix. Usually when I think about a piece with both a sax and piano in it, then it's jazz. However, this clearly isn't jazz, it's way to happy. It must be the fact that the bass is missing. However, jazz or no jazz, this arrangement was swell to listen to. No complaints, no annoying sounds nor samples. This remix is like a river, you'll just float with it.

Nice work, DS.

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure this could count as a "re-mix" as it could count as an entirely new work based off of melodies and countermelodies of another work.

Though I could hear the counter melody present in the source in the background, and the main melody given to the sax, I think the new chords, rhythm and speed give Lava Reef (after) an entirely new feel.

GREAT work. Ideal for relaxing out on a summer beach. I could be playing this as I watch the sun set driving on Hwy 1 in Big Sur.

GREAT work.

• 2 years later...

Imho, the saxophones here deflate this mix; they sound off-key/flat and nasally. Otherwise this mix would be jaw dropping. That feathery piano work, those quick, light, steady drums. It feels like everything in this mix is holding its collective breath and the saxes causes everything to have a giant cough/sneeze/hiccup. Still I still feel that everything else makes up for this track's flaws and this track is worth a listen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This song is so unbelievably chill yet light it feels kind of like flying. I was very much reminded of the progression style that Dire Dire Docks uses to convey free-motion.

The piano here is soft and spot-on, and the sax, while not the most convincing of samples, is mixed and written so well that it fits. Just the same way chiptunes have their appeal, so do these kinds of samples in they way they lack the humanized timing and breathing when written for properly.

My only real critique is the drums, which are adequate but could have had a little more done with them. Regardless, this is a great song on anyone's studying or chill playlist.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll admit it took me a while to warm up to this one. The sax was probably the reason but I got this remix stuck in my head recently and listened to it like, 10 more times. Enjoyed it more each time.

REALLY love the ride/hi-hat/rimshot groove. The piano is super soothing. Definitely a departure from the feel of the original, but hey that's what OC ReMix is all aboot. Listening to this remix is like walking into the sunset whilst a cool breeze gives you goosebumps. Or something.8)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01044 - Sonic & Knuckles "Angel"