What is your strongest gaming memory?

Mr Azar

I was 10 years old... and it was Christmas day. I got Final Fantasy III on the SNES. As the music played... title screen displays with the FF logo... they give you the story... as you read along, the music just gets better and Terra (Tina in Japan) and the 2 Magitek soliders, Vicks and Wedge, walking in the snow going towards Narshe. Vicks was a mistranslation for Biggs, though. I chuckled as I realized Biggs and Wedge are from Star Wars. :razz: (Yes, I've been a Star Wars nerd since I was a kid...)

That was the best memory I ever had as a kid. I had these amazing goosebumps, I wanted to cry. From that point on, I knew games were going to be apart of my life forever and that gaming music is the best type of music in the whole world. Almost 15 years later... I still feel that way and FFIII (FFVI in Japan) is my most favorite game ever.

A few more memories that stand out:

Mid 2002, I went to a cousin's house that lives quite a ways away, and stayed up ten or so hours playing Final Fantasy IX on his new PS2. The charming characters, art direction, music and sheer nostalgia of older Final Fantasy elements had my eyes glued to the screen the entire time.

During that same time, the Dreamcast was big, so I happened to come across Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Many of the game's puzzles were confusing and nearly impossible to me, but again and again I delved into the mysteries of the isolated prison facility. I also spent a great deal of time getting my ass kicked by Tyrant 2 before figuring out the secret to his defeat.

Everything about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is pretty much my strongest gaming memories, especially the final battle and the ending. And all the big story sequences. Seriously, it's that fucking special to me.

Getting Super Mario 64 for christmas and playing it is another fond memory.

Then there's Super Mario RPG's ending...oh wow.

And an honorable mention goes to Donkey Kong Country 2. We were so damn obsessed with that game as kids.

Valkyrie Profile for PS1 was my most memorable game experience. Nothing like mashing all four controller buttons at once and watching your party bum-rush the enemy and slash/whack the daylights out of it. Also the first RPG i ever saw a 150-hit combo in.

Kingdom Hearts 2's amazingly well-written storyline runs a close second. First RPG (maybe even videogame) where I never once cringed at the voice acting.

So many memories.

I remember the boss battle in Super Mario Bros. 3. My mother was giving my siblings a bath, so I had the whole living room to myself. It was so awesome fighting Bowser, such a heart-pounding thrill. (Many years later I'd play this again, only to have a panic attack and have to go to the emergency room XD Totally unrelated to the game though.)

During Christmas or Thanksgiving while dinner was being made, I played Super Mario Land 2. So you had the wonderful smell of turkey dinner being cooked while playing a fantastic game.

Staying home "sick" from school to play Sonic 3 and S&K.

I woke up early one morning to play Ocarina of Time. The Lord Jabu Jabu level and his breathing sound, will stay in my head forever.

Late nights playing Phantasy Star Online and becoming addicted to Quake III Arena on Dreamcast and then similarly on PC.

Going on a vacation to the beach with my grandparents and ending up spending almost all my time in the arcade playing Tekken 3.

I lived with my grandparents for a period and during that time I rented a lot of games for PSX. Some of my most memorable games during this time were Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot and Spider the Videogame.

Beating Metal Gear Solid for the first time. A fantastic game with an ending theme that made me cry, as did FFVII.

Going to Electronics Boutique in the wee hours of the morning to get my Dreamcast, then coming home and playing Sonic Adventure for the greater part of the day.

One of my first memories is trying to get the NES to work. I always needed my brother's help. I remember him playing metroid, and my sister beating bowser in SMB3. I also remember making ridiculous levels in excite bike.

My first significant memory is playing through sonic 2. It's the first game I ever beat, and I remember how intense the final boss was the first time.

Also, I remember taking a tape recorder to the TV to get Metropolis Zone's music on cassette.

Too many to list them all but some of my fondest.......

The day I really realized my passion for game music was the day my friend Tom bought me Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for my birthday. We stayed up all night playing that game. I remember hearing the opening music and the overworld map and thinking "Oh another fantasy game" then in my first battle I heard something incredible. The music was so....bad-ass. It made me want to get into random encounters just so I could hear it again. I think I would have hated FFMQ if it wasn't for the incredible music.

Me and Tom also played U.N. Squadron religiously. Definitely my favorite shmup of all time. I don't think any other game comes to mind more often than U.N. Squadron when me and him reminisce.

Anytime a game leaves me sad at its ending because its over and there's no more to play. Maximo, Portal, Symphony of the Night, they all were so good I never wanted them to end.

my strongest gaming memories:

My father bought us an NES when I was a kid, and he sat down to play punch out. He got halfway through and became frustrated. He threw the controller and got up to go make a sandwich, leaving me in the living room with the console on. When he came back with his plate of food and a glass of soda, I was farther along in the game than he was, and he sat down to watch me play until we reached Mike Tyson (and got murdered).

--

I attended the 2006 Cyberathletic Professional League (CPL) in Dallas, Texas with my clan Deus Motus. After flying there from Virginia, spending more money than we had, being fatigued and losing the tournament, One of my teammates and I sat down to watch the final Quake III match of the tournament and cheering along as CZM won the tournament. It was at that moment that I realized why I loved the sport so much.

--

I was managing Deus Motus when we went to the world Series of Videogames in Louisville, Kentucky in 2007. Since I had to pay the registration fee to get into the tournament, my Clan members urged me to enter a tournament because it was free after registration, so while I had teams playing in the WoW, Quake 3, and guitar Hero tournaments there, I decided to enter into the Fight Night Round 3 tournament. the stage manager asked me for my information, (my handle, age, home state etc) and asked me how long I had been playing Fight Night. I confessed that it was my first time and he dropped his clipboard. When I finally got on stage (which was shaped like a boxing ring with two flat screen panels in the center with Xbox 360's underneath them), a microphone descended from the ceiling and my opponent and I were announced. He told us to fight, and he swung the microphone in my direction as it began to lift back up into the rafters, and just as the microphone passed by my face, I looked at my opponent and said "Do you know the controls?" and my voice echoed over the loudspeakers at the tournament booth. It was really funny :D

--

Landing my first real job in the gaming industry was also a major high-point for me (I can't specify where because I am still employed there haha)

there are a bunch of other memories, but those are the strongest (plus I don't want to bore you)

Valkyrie Profile for PS1 was my most memorable game experience. Nothing like mashing all four controller buttons at once and watching your party bum-rush the enemy and slash/whack the daylights out of it. Also the first RPG i ever saw a 150-hit combo in.

Nice to see some VP love here. I also have some fond memories with this game. It looks beautiful and its soundtrack is still one of my favorites. I remember retrying the game from scratch a few times 'cause I didn't really understand the battle system or the progression system. Back then, it was very different from the RPGs I played.

One of my stronger Christmas memories isn't a particularly happy one, but it does have an eventual happy ending. Walk with me for bit, yes?

Back around 1987, I had been bugging my parents for an Atari 7800. See, I was something of a nut for the arcade game Xevious. If I saw it, I played it (or at least tried to sucker a quarter from my parents to do so). I also put a good amount of time into Pole Position II, which, like Xevious, was released for the 7800. I was dropping hints, looking at them at places like Toys R Us and whatnot, and doing it with all the subtlety of a bulldozer. The idea of getting to play these games whenever I wanted was mind bogglingly awesome to me at the time.

Before long, the big day rolled around. I got up in the morning, come downstairs, and there were my parents with their usual morning cup of coffee. After a bit of waiting, we all got started with the presents. Even back then, I was in the habit of opening the largest gifts last, and because of this, one of the first presents I opened was a copy of Xevious for the 7800. Needless to say, this made my mind go crazy, and I knew what the big present had to be. Or at least, I thought I did.

When I eventually got to that big box, I tore into it like Denis Leary going on a rant. When the wrapping paper came off, I was staring at the big blue box of an Atari XEGS. This puzzled me... a lot. My Mom told me that the man at the store said it could play all the Atari 7800 games, as well as games made just for it. So, I eventually went upstairs unpacked the Atari XEGS, hooked everything up, opened my copy of Xevious, went to pop the cartridge into the system... and found out that the cartridge wasn't even close to fitting. The wind was then knocked right out of my sails.

I went downstairs, Xevious in hand, and said that my game didn't fit in the system. My Dad came to my room and checked it out, seeing for himself that there was no way that big 7800 cartridge was going to fit in the much smaller XEGS cartridge slot. So, downstairs we both went, with me feeling like I'd just lost my best friend. I was crushed. My Mom apologized in that way parents do when something doesn't go right for their kids, and said that we'd take the game back in a few days. I went back upstairs, put Xevious back in its box, and half-heartedly tinkered around with the XEGS and the two games that came with it (Bug Hunt and Flight Simulator II) for the next couple of days until we took the much wanted game back.

I honestly don't remember which game I got for the XEGS when we went back to the toy store. It might have been Gato. Anyway, for a while, I barely even touched the system. I just didn't want to play it since I'd had a game I really wanted returned because of its inability to play it (yeah, that was the mindset I had... now of course, I know it was the moron at the store who gave bad info to my parents). But then something began to happen.

Little by little, I started messing around with the programming guide that came with the XEGS. Typing in simple programs that would make borders, or colored letters, and what have you. I found out that Missile Command was accessible in the system, and that there really was a lot of "land" in the little cartridge Flight Simulator II. Bit by bit, I began warming up to the gray gaming box. I learned that I could play virtually all the older Atari 400/800 games that were still on store shelves at the time, along with the new games made for the XEGS. I saw games like Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Joust, Donkey Kong Jr., Pole Position, Moon Patrol, and a host of other titles that had come out on the 400/800 systems, along with the likes of Battlezone, Star Raiders II, and Hardball for the XEGS. By the following Christmas, that Atari XEGS was getting a lot of usage. I didn't have Xevious, but I did have great games like Rescue on Fractalus!, Into the Eagle's Nest, Ball Blazer, and Mario Bros., all of which lead to many a good time.

To this day, I still have my Atari XEGS. I guess I should also say that I wound up selling my Atari 2600 and its games back then so that I could get games for the XEGS. It's something I view as a remarkably dumb decision these days, but what's youth without poor decisions, eh? However, despite the down moments associated with the XEGS, it's a system that really grew on me the more I used it. Over time, I eventually got most of the games that came out for specifically it, and at one point, found a little store that sold the old 400/800 carts pretty cheap (yeah, I raided that place regularly). In fact, just a few years back, I picked up several games that I was never able to get for the XEGS back in the day (Space Invaders, Crossbow, Dark Chambers and Karateka). Now if I could just find a copy of Crystal Castles and Zaxxon that aren't way overpriced...

So, while it came into my early gaming life on a rather sour note, it eventually became a cherished console for me as I got older. And thus is the tale of Christmas '87.

As far as old school games go, it was definitely the first time I played Super Metroid. I was completely blown away by the empty, isolated feeling of the opening. The second Ridley's eyes started glowing in the background, my heart started racing. By the time I got off the ship with only moments left on the countdown timer and only a little bit of life left, I was drenched in sweat. It was awesome.

I remember getting to Mike Tyson on the original Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and actually getting on a roll and staying alive (which in itself was tough at that young age). Then the rest of the family comes home; they had picked up Kentucky Fried Chicken on the way home from wherever and it was dinner time.

"Time to eat!" comes the call.

"Hold on, I'm beating Mike Tyson!" I replied.

And then the pressure was on. The entire family sat down and watched me play. With sweaty palms and my heart beating 200 beats a minute, I played.

And I won. First time ever I beat Mike Tyson, and I beat the game.

... and then we ate chicken. :)

I seem to recall playing Link's Awakening on my old GameBoy (the brick one) with one of those lights on it, using a pair of cheap, tinny headphones I grabbed from somewhere in the house so I could play it at night.

You know, it's bedtime, you hid the GameBoy somewhere in case your parents would (for some reason, you're only a kid) prevent you fro playing it, you're under the sheets and you don't want anyone to know you're playing...

So, I finally finish the lst boss and I get to the Wind Fish.

I think I listened to the music for about ten minutes because I didn't really want to finish the game. I eventually got through the final bit of dialog and then watched the ending credits all the way through.

I think I felt sad about it as I turned it off.

I don't even remember when this happened, but it must have been, oh at the most 5 years ago. I was borrowing all the PSX Final Fantasy games from a pal to play over the summer. I started with FFVII. I remember always playing late at night, and getting thru the beginning of the game was real fun when it's all dark and quiet, but I remember about 2 AM I get to the first time you see JENOVA all weird and corpse-y...at that hour, it's incredible. Not terrifying, but I feel like I will remember it for a long time.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - -- -

Playing LoZ:OoT makes me reminisce strongly. I bought it on a whim (what's so great about this Zelda thing? May as well try it...) and in particular playing through the Young Link part is very, very evocative of my younger days.

--- - - - -- -- -- - - -- -- - -- - - - - - -

Harvest Moon 64. I played this so much that I swear some of the area maps are engraved into my brain. The sound of the text advancing (especially in the events with no music) with the cheesy, badly transliterated, but still somehow effective dialogue makes me feel like I'm back in 4th or 5th grade.

My first full Zelda experience was Oracle of Ages. I'd played the original Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time, but for whatever reason they hadn't interested me at the time. I discovered Oracle of Ages on a friend's Game Boy Color and was completely absorbed. He sold the GBC to me, along with the game, and I started playing it whenever possible.

Of course, my parents had a strict one-hour time limit for video games and television and computer and all that stuff back then, so I burrowed into my closet to play. I cleared it out, unrolled a sleeping bag in it, and set up a lamp so I could see the screen. That lamp made it really hot in there. Anyway, I remember saving the game practically every other second, because if someone came in my room I'd have to switch it off and pick up a random book by the time they opened the closet.

That was the first game I was obsessed with beating. It may have been the first game I completed...