Aaand there goes the last ounce of respect for Sega

lazygecko

Seems like another disgruntled Sega employee has spoken out after the last one.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/14/another-sega-employee-speaks-out-on-sonic/

There's some alleged stuff on the next Sonic game, but what I found really interesting was this snippet regarding Sonic Chronicles for the DS:

They actually had a full, originally composed soundtrack but before release they had to pull the hub BGMs out for a variety of (frankly ridiculous) legal reasons. So they did what anyone else in their position probably would have done; they did a search on the net for whatever Sonic MIDIs they could find and fit them in the game the best they could. Since the compositions belonged to SEGA in the first place there were no legal issues to be had with what was essentially thieving them, and they could also pan it off as a “soundtrack full of classic Sonic music.”

Which is also why there’s a fairly distinct difference in quality between the electric-guitar intro/battle music and the shit you get while you play the game itself.

I don't own the game, but I looked up the music on YouTube and it really does sound like they were vgmusic MIDIs hastily run through some converter.

This is from Sonic CD

This is from Sonic 3D

I am in sheer fucking disbelief they have let themselves fall to this level, and that's saying a lot after the trainwreck that was the GBA port of Sonic 1. EPIC FAIL, SEGA

yes, some of the clips of the original music is actually on Youtube, but really... I remember playing the game and thinking "damn this Diamond Dust thing makes me think someone just took one of the mistranscribed midis off vgmusic and took out everything but the lead)

It still astonishes me that that actually was the case

They do make good games. Check Valkyria Chronicles.

I think the article is mostly focused on Sonic Team, not Sega as a whole. Sonic Team has been pumping out trash for the most part. I, too, call BS on this one. BioWare developed Chronicles, so this self-proclaimed localization member seems to be full of hot air.

It's not unusual for publishers to have production teams that overlap with the developers under their wing.

I suspect that the game's original soundtrack had arrangements based on themes from Sonic 1 and 2, that music was made by Dreams Come True and I'm pretty sure there have been legal issues in the past with re-using their material (this would also explain why the shit we hear in Chronicles is from the spinoff games). Regardless of wether this rushjob was ripped by Sega or Bioware, the cataclyst was the legal issues and instead of delaying the game to fix it properly, Sega lets this pass which is both ridiculous and highly unprofessional (especially from such a high profile brand in these times).

Unfortunately, we'll never really know the truth, because 1) Sega won't own up to it, and 2) this guy posted on 4chan, what does that say about his credibility? Seriously. If this guy went to Destructoid or some other news site and spouted about it, then maybe, just maybe, I'd pay attention. But seriously, I say take it all with a grain of salt, because it's most likely some guy just passed over for a pay raise or a promotion.

On another note, the guy before this one, Andac, seemed to have actually been involved to some degree as things that he had said basically came to pass in some fashion or another. Still, believing everything you read on the internet is a recipe for disaster. Unless of course, it comes from a reputable source.