OCR01045 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "SoS"

djpretzel

When I first checked it was 288KB, now it is over 2MB. I think it is still being uploaded. Patience...

EDIT: I think it is done at 4:44. There is one thing I should point out though; the Supertux mirror has a 500KB version...

Listening to the song...

I'm liking this guitar work! It's not fast paced or anything, just good. It seems to be deviating from the source a lot now. It's been going off on a tangent for about a minute now I think :?. Hey, that break at 3:10 is a nice change of pace. I guess I can still sort of hear the theme hidden there somewhere. There it is! Decent ending.

All in all though, a pretty static piece. The guitar work is quite good, it just seemed to be the same feeling the whole song without much of a climax or any dynamics. Regardless, this is still a piece that I'm sure many people will enjoy and I'm sure it will grow on me after a few listenings. After all, the source material is so catchy :).

Well, I'm finally BACK! My computer has been fixed and the first thing I did was come here and check out this song. After playing with so many guitarists I've come to this conclusion: they love to hear themeselves play. Now I do enjoy guitar solos in many different styles of music, especially slide, but this here is not my cup of tea. The chord progression gets stale after so long, and the whole song is very static without much variation. The soloing sounds very lost 2:40 - 3:02 and the transition to the wah could've been better. Those are the things that keep this from bein just awesome. I swear, with a little more variation and a shorter length, this could've been somethin' real sweet. The ideas are here and everything, I just don't think it was pulled off as well as it could've. I absolutely LOVE the wah solo, it's just sheer awesomeness, but I don't like sitting through what seems like hours of meandering distorted guitar. =(

Oh well, :nicework:

well..

there are definetly some good ideas here but i'm afraid the best of them may be concentrated in the beginning and the end - basically the arrangement of the windmill theme. it's well written but everything else is a jumbled mess.

you can solo but not very convincingly. the biggest question for a guitarist is when to and when not to do something... there's alot of the "when not to" goin on here... my main concerns are with the transitions and some of the phrasing is just a little odd.

but what i do like... excellent little runs between 2:10-2:26 that i wish you had cleaned up a bit cuz they showed a lot of promise. there are times where you exhibit a clear understanding of jam lead and there are other times when the song walks around headless. the cry baby section is interesting but again i sense a taste of disparity and gratuity in it... the tone is nuts, of course... but we expect that from the cry baby; i'm actually recording a track with a cry baby solo of its own... can't blame you for using it.

again, i guess my biggest qualm with the mix is its lack of coherence as a piece of music.... it has fine details to it that will perk my ears up but then as a whole, bores me. you are a good guitarist, dude - i hope you write something a little more engaging next time, i'd love to hear more of your work.

~weed

Hey now. What happened to guitarrists that don't NEED solos? Come on.

See, the song starts really neat. Sounding somewhat like a spanish song, with that rhythm and all. Then, BAM, ludicrously long and messy solo. Hell, not only ONE solo, but TWO solos.

Too many solos. It's as if he's trying to compensate for the song being so short in the original by making the rest of the song an improvisation. I mean, that's an OK idea, but the solos aren't even going along the same line as the original song.

They just derail the neatness that gets started in the begining. See, now this is a good example of how improvisation != mindless playing. It should have a form of some sort, specially if you're trying to fill gaps in a song that's too short to begin with.

Also, um, the choice of effects is pretty questionable. I mean, the electric guitar just doesn't work very well as it completely makes the accoustic vanish in the background. There's no sound balance, and then with the wahwah he's literally just doing whatever he wants and then abbruptly going back to the start.

No transitions of any kind. The song's more like a display of ..um, technique, I guess, than a real song.

As Don Malarkey in Band of Brothers said, "Bout damn time."

For a Song of Storms remix, that is. This song has been pleading for a remix for ages, all to no avail. Several WIPs, but no dice, until now. As a huge fan of the original, I was quite juiced when I saw this on the main page. I quickly downloaded it.

But the mix is lackluster. For about the first minute it stays on top of the original, then ventures miles away from it. I was really craving and expecting a remix that was much closer to the original, so I was a bit disappointed.

By itself, it stands well. Nice pair of solos, good backing guitar, though it doesn't effectively replace drums and bass (which are distinctively lacking), and the wah-effect at about 3'11 rekindles interest in the mix.

All in all, not a bad mix, per se, but quite a disappointment for fans of the original.

As much as I want to love this song, and adore the first minute and a half or so of it, I find myself agreeing with the people who say that the wandering is too incoherent and too long. I have no problem with mixes going away from the source (Rayza's Shinobi 3 Whirlwind Mix drops it completely sometimes), but the soloing just doesn't have a very enjoyable melody, it's pointless screwing around. It's too bad, cause the first 1:30 and the last minute or so are superb.

I love this. even if the first solo gets a little long, it sounds really good, and doesnt deviate THAT much from the real theme, wich, besides, its clearly emphasized with the accoustic guitar in the bg, making it enjoyable. well, I guess I like long guitar solos, and this is one I enjoyed pretty much. the wah is an orgasm. high skills there, and all troughtout the song, I must say. maybe if the accoustic guitar remarked the original windmill theme all trough the song, it would be better oriented, but it is indeed one helluva song, and a very interesting twist to the windmill noise. I love it. get it NOW!

Cano

• 1 month later...

Oh man, This song is beautiful. I love the unplugged electric, always have. The plugged is also great, though I dont like it as much as the unplugged. Also, the hard guitar is a bit too hard for this song, combined with the unplugged. Even though it dosent fit, it matches and goes well, and thats good. My favorite part of this remix is the wah piece at the end. Wahs have always been my favorite guitar effect, and now I love them even more. The only problem I have with this remix is its a bit too quiet..... its not too bad, because I can just turn it up! :P

I can imagine like 4 guys around a campfire playing this song.... that would be bliss.....

- Ethan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Indeed. Great guitar work but it's just kinda there for a long time. This would prolly be great music to smoke out to. =P

my thoughts exactly....it's laid back, it's chill, but underneith it's complex enough to ponder over. good stuff.

Indeed. Great guitar work but it's just kinda there for a long time. This would prolly be great music to smoke out to. =P

my thoughts exactly....it's laid back, it's chill, but underneith it's complex enough to ponder over. good stuff.

I'll point out that the track is done by SAiNT 420. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, I like this mix. It was one of the first songs I downloaded on OCR, and I've yet to hear anything that resembles it in the least. You won't come across a mix like this too often... and I think that's too bad. I agree that the soloing begins to get tedious after a while, but I love the mixing of different guitars, and smooth flow of the song. It's relaxing, and satisfying. Thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very hard song to judge for me. I can't explain in words why I like it. But the emotions of serenity I get as for the past 4 minutes and 43 seconds I've listened to a song that literally clears my head of a rough day at work... awe inspiring.

To me, it's a very powerful song that captures and keeps my attention. As it stands, it's something I use to mainly keep calm, meditate on the day, and just not think on the challenges of tomorrow.

I sure hope there's more songs like this one that I've yet to discover. This song is why I like the acoustic guitar so much. :)

• 3 months later...

this song is.... rather interesting, i find it hard to judge aswell

because the Song of Storms is an awesome tune, and so is this... i find that it gets rather old after the first 2 minutes of it, good variety and all, but its basically the same thing over and over and over for 4 and a half minutes!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01045 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "SoS"