OCR01045 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "SoS"

djpretzel

• 4 months later...

I LOVE THIS

Ever since I started listening to OC-remixes a good version of Song of Storms from zelda 64 (togeter with a good version of sarias song , still waitn') was all I wanted to hear to get nostalgic.

FINALLY someone has done it, and man SAiNT 420 did it GOOD!

I've listened through this eight bazillion times by now and the only thing I can say about that is NOT positive is the first distorted guitar solo is kinda hard to listen to.

Otherwise this is one of my all time favorites, maybe bexause I'm a guitarist and zelda lover but admit it, it IS catchy.

Good call SAiNT!

BTW, I surfed in on his website and find a version with drums and synth that was even better :o listen to that one!

Maybe SAiNT can change this one to the full arrangement over time?

Anyways, good remix, listen if you've played zelda OoT, otherwise.. listen anyway :P

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First, the bad -- I have to agree with the majority of the listeners regarding this mix. Aside from the general "noodling" as previously mentioned, the production values are sorely lacking. It sounds like someone doing a demo in his room and recording it onto a cassette tape. I have wavered numerous times between keeping this mix and outright deleting it from my collection.

With that said, you guys definitely need to check out SAiNT's homepage: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saint420. He took the time to actually remaster this track. Although the basic structure is still the same and there will inevitably still be complaints of rambling notes, SAiNT ups the production factor by no less than 10x. The lead guitar is re-EQed, the track is remastered at a super-high bitrate, drums and a bass are added, the SoS theme is revisted more flavorfully after the 2nd solo, and the song finishes on a strong ending. This should have been the definitive version posted to OCR. Grab this now, before yet another independent artist's webpage goes the wayside of the 404 error.

By the way, also grab his Duck Tales remix there while your at it. Somewhat coarse on the drums, but good nonetheless.

SAiNT, I didn't think much of your playing before, due mostly to the aforementioned issues on the original lackluster recording, but my opinion has done a 180 U-turn since. If you ever read this, keep churning out the good stuff. Props.

• 5 months later...

This sounds like something from The Sky Moves Sideways-era Porcupine Tree. That might be why the long solos didn't bother me as much. I really like this remix, but the mixing was kinda weird. Bad levels and stuff. I'm definitely keeping this one though.

edit: I take back what I said about the mixing and stuff. Maybe I just had the volume to high on my headphone's volume control thingy. It's actually perfect.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, despite the wonky volume levels and overall production being a bit below the bar, this mix has its redeeming merits. It's got a pretty neat mood and is the kind of thing you can drift off into daydreaming while listening to. The arrangement is unfocused which I can see turning a lot of people off, but for the most part this is pretty good. It's not a favorite of mine but when I'm in the right mood it's easy to get lost in this song.

Socrates: Check over the Content Policy to see if that answers your question.

• 1 month later...

This one ran way long for my tastes, and the sound balance was pretty weak, with the leads often too buried or too prevalent, and the arrangement meanders. Decent overall, but more like a WIP than a finished piece, and way too much soloing for my tastes. Some wrong notes in the middle solo also hurt it.

Can't say i'm a fan, sorry. :-(

• 7 months later...

:smile: I highly enjoyed this mix. The night I downloaded it we had a huge storm and I went out on my porch and danced to it. One of the best experiences in my life.

While I can't blame some people for not liking it, imo it one of the best on here. It was also one of the first mixes I ever heard.

• 4 months later...

While It's impossible to deny that the mixing is a tad rough, I think it has an overall positive on the effect of the atmosphere. It's just a purely emotive piece, and precisely what the original song asks for.

And I didn't find it too long at all. Because the soloing rarely repeats itself it flies by.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01045 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "SoS"
  • 4 years later...