PRC138 - A Journey to the Victory (Journey to Silius)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 138

PRCv6-08

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

PRC137 is over. After the victory from OneUp in PRC136 he decided to select Nintendo World Cup - Golden Goal as source. His own brother Thu came up with the best song and so the victory stays in the family. Now it's up to OneUp (or his father or someone else in the family) to keep it there again. For everyone else it's the goal to make that not happen. Thu is also one from the few who wins PRC with his first participate.

The source has been selecting, after looking in the Ocremix database he found a song which isn't remixed before to an Ocremix and it's also a song from a game what's never been in PRC before. Again, we are doing a NES game.

PRC138-Journey_to_Silius_NES_ScreenS.jpg

Journey to Silius (NES) - Stage 3

MIDI

MP3

NSF (Track 4)

ThaSauce link

I know the game from some remixes before, but none of them made it to Ocremix. However, I liked some remixes from Journey to Silius which where posted on Vgmix. I found one in my database, a song done by Nesper (called Recapture).

This game has some good tracks in the NSF file, the source for this PRC is one of it. I like the feeling from it.

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by SUNDAY January 25th at 04:00 am ThaSauce time (Check my signature (below) and the ThaSauce page for the exact time left..
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part (however, he's free to submit a Bonus Mix) but his vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

*Jumps out of the shadows*

*Goes to submit*

=P

EDIT: Wha, i tried to submit an additional bonus entry, but it won't let me; says I've already submitted an entry, lol

So much for my ninja ambush, it ironically seems that this is going to be quite a large round =p

Post it here, I try to upload it then with my admin powers. That should work.

I just realized, when I listen to my entry with the online player it sounds very distorted, when I open the file from the "Download"-Link just below the Player, there is no distortion at all. 8O

Did anyone of you had this problem before?

First time I noticed it happening. I hear lots of decrease of doppler/clipping in your song when I play it in ThaSauce, but when I downloaded it everything was okay. Weird. Try encoding it at a different bitrate (e.g. 128kbit) and upload it again.

If it doesn't work, then add a comment in your song telling people they should download your track instead of listening to it in that player.

I liked the bassline so much, I tried to get some friends to do a co-op with me, I planned to record the bass on a bass guitar and have someone else to do the rest. Well, that didn't take fire, so I ended up throwing something together from scratch in Schism Tracker all by myself.. and not using the original bassline or bass guitar at all. :)

--Eino

Here's the voting stage

A very nice turnout, 10 songs (1 bonus). After a slow start (Thu even said he killed PRC) the songs start coming in very fast. Participants are encouraged to vote (they receive a bonus first place) but they can't vote for themself. Thu has a vote that counts twice, as winner from the last round.

The mixing stage is over. To vote, you should do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

You have until NEXT WEDNESDAY, January 28 at 2:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

Remember to not vote on Thu's song.

The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC139!

The songs:

Eligibles

Showroom Dummy - AI Takeover

Just64helpin - Pray for Jay McCray

OneUp - Heaven in my Hands

Setokaibarocket - The Next Level From NES to SNES

ReSeT - SirIus Mind

Evktalo - Ronery Star

Chickenwarlord - Rebuilding

Brainstar - Waltz to Victory

Txai - Silent Colony Manifest

Ineligible

Thu - Punish the Innocent

It's results time.

It didn't happen many times that ten songs appeared. With 9 participating remixes and one bonus mix, a lot of users could take a first place voting bonus, and many did.

Total number of mixes - 9 (+1 Bonus)

Total number of votes - 10

Highest possible score - 33

Thu did a nice Bonus Mix, but as last round winner, he couldn't win this round.

Evktalo did a good song, but none of the voters gave him any points. With his vote, he claims last place wooden spoon with 3 points.

Chickenwarlord did a good job, with one point and his vote, his total ends at 4 points and an eight place.

Txai received two first place votes, but that's all, his 6 points are enough to claim sixth place, together with Brainstar.

Just64helpin did only a little better, a fifth place with 7 points.

Setokaibarocket received a first place, but didn't receive enough points to enter the top 3, it's a fourth place with 9 points.

ReSeT received several points, including two first place votes, from several users, the total of 16 points is enough to win third place

Showroom Dummy was the first remixer who uploaded his song, many users liked it. 17 points are worth a second place

And the winner of PRC138 is OneUp with 19 points!

It's close between the first three remixers. Many remixers voted, some of them where even quicker than me (in the first hour already four votes). It's a great PRC with many good songs and a good number of votes as well, thanks to everyone.

OneUp keeps the victory in the family again, after winning PRC136 and his brother winning PRC137. Let's see if Thu can keep it there again in PRC139. To the other remixers it's the challenge to make that not happen.

OneUp, you know what to do, send your source to me by PM before next Friday, 30 January at 11:59 am Eastern US Time.

See you next Friday.

A great round it was! Congrats to the top three, all excellent tracks in my opinion. Thanks to all those who gave feedback to all the songs - I know I didn't manage to do that this round.

Thu:

>Ronery Star by evktalo - Low quality samples gives this a 90s feel which I can't really >stand. The main beat is great. Make sure the bassline follows melody alterations, it

> just gave a very disharmonic impression now.

Thanks for the beat compliment! I haven't done a lot in this sort of genres.

I made the bassline stay in the same place the whole time intentionally and think it works ok. Making the bassline follow the chord changes would have made it livelier, but I went for a static or tense feel. I unfortunately lack the skills to analyze that theoretically. (I think you meant the non-changing bassline with that comment.)

There are a couple notes that are intentionally dissonant (or so I guess), but they resolve quickly - I think! They are the high "additional" lead note at 01:46, and the points at 01:53 and 02:01.

--Eino